PDA

View Full Version : Little effort could save you lots of cash

simplelife
12th December 2008, 14:34
In this difficult times where the world is facing economic crisis, I just thought might be helpful to share some ideas and tips to save a few pounds.
Here are the list and if you have more ideas please do feel free to add. Thanks a lot.

1. Take your own lunch and snacks to work/office. Making your own pack lunch such as pasta salad or tuna sandwich is a lot cheaper than buying it outside. It will take 5 minutes to make it and wrap it or just put in a plastic container. You can save as mush as 3 to 5 pounds a day by doing it and that is equivalent to around 100 pounds a month.

2. Cycle to work if its possible, it will save your petrol and also will keep you fit and healthy. I remember I used to cycle to town when I need to get something from the shops and that save me 2 pounds for return fare on a local bus. It took me 10 minutes to cycle to town which is good that keep me fit and strong. I save at least 24 pounds a month.

3. Avoid too much gatherings or going to the pub house. My Fiancé and I love to spend our free time watching DVD’s, playing chess, scrabble or do gardening when it’s possible.

4. Make a shopping list when you do your weekly food shopping. We make plans what to cook or make for the whole week. I also go for shop’s own brand example; Tesco’s brand which is a lot cheaper than those well known brand.

5. Go to the library to borrow books, CD`s, DVD`s instead of buying new one.

6. Avoid going to Big Sale as this will tends you to buy those things that you do not actually need.

7. Avoid making IDD calls to the Philippines, set the schedule with your family back home to chat in the internet.

8. Park your car where you don’t have to pay, even if it’s further away, walking is a good exercise.

9. Use plastic box/ container to store food rather than using the cling film or aluminum foil.

10. Check your cupboard , there might be some stuffs that soon will expires and that can avoid to be wasted.

jimeve
12th December 2008, 19:21
Thanks simplelife, have been doing most of those things for 30 years. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
12th December 2008, 20:05
Thanks simplelife, have been doing most of those things for 30 years. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i didn't know you were scotish jim :D

or a scouser :Erm:

scouser rule number 1, don't buy anything, see if you can beg, borrow or steal it :NoNo:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

ANDRES25
12th December 2008, 21:07
Great Post! Thanks!

simplelife
13th December 2008, 01:28
Great Post! Thanks!

Thanks Mrs.O

Mrs.JMajor
13th December 2008, 01:38
scouser rule number 1, don't buy anything, see if you can beg, borrow or steal it :NoNo:

lol Joe u really make me fall on my chair :laugher:

wait for the reply of one scouser here:Cuckoo:

jbt
13th December 2008, 03:54
thanks sis simple, been doing most of it...but please don't let me avoid the big sale..lolz:Hellooo:

Mrs.JMajor
13th December 2008, 08:28
To add on that simplelife,i go mall 3 to 4 times a week,and cant avoid not to buy stuff when i saw something i like,even i know its not that necessary,but nowadays just thought of the crisis i decide to stay in the house

But same thing,i waste electric cause the computer is on the whole day:cwm24:

simplelife
13th December 2008, 09:54
thanks sis simple, been doing most of it...but please don't let me avoid the big sale..lolz:Hellooo:

I love shopping too.!:icon_lol::icon_lol:
But I think its a good idea not to bring debit and credit cards with you, just take some cash so then you can limit your purchases.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

simplelife
13th December 2008, 10:02
To add on that simplelife,i go mall 3 to 4 times a week,and cant avoid not to buy stuff when i saw something i like,even i know its not that necessary,but nowadays just thought of the crisis i decide to stay in the house

But same thing,i waste electric cause the computer is on the whole day:cwm24:

Same here Mrs JMajor.:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
I used to go to Trinoma Mall.
My hubby sent me some books of my favorite author and that keeps me indoor.
I can not leave my laptop on all day as it gets very hot and shuts down itself.
Thanks .:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
13th December 2008, 10:07
scouser rule number 1, don't buy anything, see if you can beg, borrow or steal it.....
......whereas Mancs just have the 'steal' option to pick from :action-smiley-081: :D

I passed through Manchester the other day, luckily all the lights were on green so I didn't have to stop :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Scouse
16th December 2008, 21:42

It's not theft it's redistribution of wealth

KeithD
16th December 2008, 22:21
It's not theft it's redistribution of wealth
We can't leave poor Gordon Brown to do it on his own :rolleyes:

chris40
16th December 2008, 22:51
:Rasp:other things you can do is if you wish to speak to someone on the fone ring theirs just once, they see a missed call and fone you to see what you wanted. hey presto a free fone call!!
also visit your friends and neighbors in the winter and save on your domestic fuel bills :xxgrinning--00xx3::

simplelife
16th December 2008, 23:01
:Rasp:other things you can do is if you wish to speak to someone on the fone ring theirs just once, they see a missed call and fone you to see what you wanted. hey presto a free fone call!!
also visit your friends and neighbors in the winter and save on your domestic fuel bills :xxgrinning--00xx3::

Yes thats a good idea Chris thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When he was here I got him a Smart Sim card to use while he is the Philippines,but we forgot to activate the roaming feature before we left last year, so what I did I purchased another Smart simcard for him and posted it to him. Now it cost only 2 pesos per text everytime I need to get in touch with him when he is not online. Save me a lot of money because it normally cost 15 pesos per text abroad.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

whiteraven
16th December 2008, 23:02
and you can save on toilet paper by cutting a hole in the middle and putting your finger through:laugher:

simplelife
16th December 2008, 23:03
and you can save on toilet paper by cutting a hole in the middle and putting your finger through:laugher:

:yikes::NoNo::NoNo:

whiteraven
16th December 2008, 23:10
just kidding,im all for money saving tips. last year i went around the house and looked at ways i could save energy,made sure all sockets were switched off including the ones in the kitchen when not in use. made sure all the bulbs were energy saving ones and only heated water when i needed it. cut my usage by 50%.

simplelife
16th December 2008, 23:13
just kidding,im all for money saving tips. last year i went around the house and looked at ways i could save energy,made sure all sockets were switched off including the ones in the kitchen when not in use. made sure all the bulbs were energy saving ones and only heated water when i needed it. cut my usage by 50%.

Well done. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maria2
21st December 2008, 00:30
I think all these suggestions are good. I don't suppose that you have ever been feckless enough to buy capuccinos and frappes? :cwm12:

pennybarry
22nd December 2008, 09:01
In this difficult times where the world is facing economic crisis, I just thought might be helpful to share some ideas and tips to save a few pounds.
Here are the list and if you have more ideas please do feel free to add. Thanks a lot.

1. Take your own lunch and snacks to work/office. Making your own pack lunch such as pasta salad or tuna sandwich is a lot cheaper than buying it outside. It will take 5 minutes to make it and wrap it or just put in a plastic container. You can save as mush as 3 to 5 pounds a day by doing it and that is equivalent to around 100 pounds a month.

2. Cycle to work if its possible, it will save your petrol and also will keep you fit and healthy. I remember I used to cycle to town when I need to get something from the shops and that save me 2 pounds for return fare on a local bus. It took me 10 minutes to cycle to town which is good that keep me fit and strong. I save at least 24 pounds a month.

3. Avoid too much gatherings or going to the pub house. My Fiancé and I love to spend our free time watching DVD’s, playing chess, scrabble or do gardening when it’s possible.

4. Make a shopping list when you do your weekly food shopping. We make plans what to cook or make for the whole week. I also go for shop’s own brand example; Tesco’s brand which is a lot cheaper than those well known brand.

5. Go to the library to borrow books, CD`s, DVD`s instead of buying new one.

6. Avoid going to Big Sale as this will tends you to buy those things that you do not actually need.

7. Avoid making IDD calls to the Philippines, set the schedule with your family back home to chat in the internet.

8. Park your car where you don’t have to pay, even if it’s further away, walking is a good exercise.

9. Use plastic box/ container to store food rather than using the cling film or aluminum foil.

10. Check your cupboard , there might be some stuffs that soon will expires and that can avoid to be wasted.

Thanks Simplelife for some good ideas
I cook rice+meat . That's make me feel stronger

Waaah We live close to the sea and it's too windy and freezing cold. Wind blows to the max. Maybe that's why I seldom see people using bike at work.:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

That's my problem with my hubby. We have loads of beer in our cooler and there are 3 pubs in our village and he also drinks in the pub once or twice a month. Anyway his capacity is only 2 mugs of beer so that's alright. To make him happy:action-smiley-081:

I'm workaholic but not shopperholic. Nice to go shopping if husband is in good mood. Wow!:REGamblMoney01HL1:

I bought and collects books from our village. People in the village donates book to the council and sell it in a very cheap price. I bought complete volume of encyclopedia and cost only 3 £, other books cost only 30p. Wish to have a library at home in Philippines so my relatives and friends can use all these books too.

To add, I use our dishwasher only once a week to see if it is still working!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
27th December 2008, 20:46
I want cash!!:REGamblMoney01HL1: Life should go onwards and upwards!!:BouncyHappy: It should get better and better!:D I wont even think of looking for ways to save money normally..I look for more ways to bring money in!! Yippeee!!:REGamblMoney01HL1:

somebody
28th December 2008, 16:54
One that many filpinas could try is dont walk around in t shirt and shorts compliainig its cold in the house where a jumper and long trousers.

While it warms me up seeing the wife walk around in t shirt and shorts the goose bumps put me off:D

Wrap up before putting the heating up a few degrees and your save mucho mucho money

nigel
28th December 2008, 17:06
One that many filpinas could try is dont walk around in t shirt and shorts compliainig its cold in the house where a jumper and long trousers.

While it warms me up seeing the wife walk around in t shirt and shorts the goose bumps put me off:D

Wrap up before putting the heating up a few degrees and your save mucho mucho money
Hehe:xxgrinning--00xx3: I've just bought some of these remote control plugs that enable you to switch the tv off at night instead of leaving it on standby and also you can turn things like lamps or whatever off...these remote controlled plugs are ideal for the elderly, the disabled and fat lazy b**tards like myself!:icon_lol:

(they're cheaper on ebay than in the shops by the way...they should pay for themselves with the ££:REGamblMoney01HL1:££ you save on electric bills...that's if you remember to use them of course!:doh)

I generally concentrate my efforts on making more money :REGamblMoney01HL1: rather than saving money!

somebody
28th December 2008, 17:19
Hehe:xxgrinning--00xx3: I've just bought some of these remote control plugs that enable you to switch the tv off at night instead of leaving it on standby and also you can turn things like lamps or whatever off...these remote controlled plugs are ideal for the elderly, the disabled and fat lazy b**tards like myself!:icon_lol:

(they're cheaper on ebay than in the shops by the way...they should pay for themselves with the ££:REGamblMoney01HL1:££ you save on electric bills...that's if you remember to use them of course!:doh)

I generally concentrate my efforts on making more money :REGamblMoney01HL1: rather than saving money!

Your right those remote control mains switchs are great for switch off all the tv's and what have you. One thing is if you have neighbours make sure they cant switch yours off and on:D

Also make sure your pvr and pc are all shutdown first otherwise the cost saving might mean you killing your hard disk:NoNo::omg::doh

simplelife
28th December 2008, 17:44
Thanks Simplelife for some good ideas
I cook rice+meat . That's make me feel stronger

Waaah We live close to the sea and it's too windy and freezing cold. Wind blows to the max. Maybe that's why I seldom see people using bike at work.:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

That's my problem with my hubby. We have loads of beer in our cooler and there are 3 pubs in our village and he also drinks in the pub once or twice a month. Anyway his capacity is only 2 mugs of beer so that's alright. To make him happy:action-smiley-081:

I'm workaholic but not shopperholic. Nice to go shopping if husband is in good mood. Wow!:REGamblMoney01HL1:

I bought and collects books from our village. People in the village donates book to the council and sell it in a very cheap price. I bought complete volume of encyclopedia and cost only 3 £, other books cost only 30p. Wish to have a library at home in Philippines so my relatives and friends can use all these books too.

To add, I use our dishwasher only once a week to see if it is still working!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You`re welcome Pennyberry and thank you for sharing.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SteveL
29th December 2008, 01:21
......whereas Mancs just have the 'steal' option to pick from :action-smiley-081: :D

I passed through Manchester the other day, luckily all the lights were on green so I didn't have to stop :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What do the welsh use as foreplay ? Mint Sauce :action-smiley-081:

joebloggs
29th December 2008, 01:45
What do the welsh use as foreplay ? Mint Sauce :action-smiley-081:

hes' not even welsh, scouser living in Wales :NoNo:, poor Wales :cwm24:

simplelife
29th December 2008, 03:31

Wrap her with your arms to keep her warm. hehehe:icon_lol:

I like your signature somebody :icon_lol:

simplelife
31st December 2008, 21:38
Thank you so much for all who give me rep points for this thread.:)
Im glad you guys appreciate it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Toyang
4th January 2009, 08:24
Thank you so much for all who give me rep points for this thread.:)
Im glad you guys appreciate it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nice Post Simplelife. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I`ve been doing already some tips thats on the list.
Let me add, I did not buy a new Hand bag from ESPRIT shop last Christmas instead I got one from Louis Vuitton. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

I went to Tutuban Center in Divisoria, I bought a fair of sandals cost me only 150pesos.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Bad thing was when I went to the party, there are 4 more ladies wearing absolutely THE SAME as I have :yikes::yikes:
Its embarassing coz we just like going to sing all together. :icon_lol:

So yesterday, I went to Celine in SM and they have a half price deal, but its all size12 :yikes: my size is 7.:NoNo:

fred
4th January 2009, 11:43
Colt45 is a bit cheaper than SMB and Tanduay is MUCH cheaper than Fundador but pricier than Matador which is a shame ..
However, if you are saving up for a new telly or a Mitsubishi Starex etc you may have to hit the Tuba for a month or so..
Every little helps in this global economic mess and I suppose thats what sacrifice is all about at the end of the day...
hic

simplelife
9th January 2009, 03:53
Colt45 is a bit cheaper than SMB and Tanduay is MUCH cheaper than Fundador but pricier than Matador which is a shame ..
However, if you are saving up for a new telly or a Mitsubishi Starex etc you may have to hit the Tuba for a month or so..
Every little helps in this global economic mess and I suppose thats what sacrifice is all about at the end of the day...
hic

hik.hik.hik and adobong mani (peanut) is cheaper pulutan than lechon Manok.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for the tips Fred.