PDA

View Full Version : Rights to property in Philippines

bensyboy
10th September 2006, 16:13
Hi,

Could someone advise me what my rights as an alien are to own property in the Philippines? I am intending to marry my Fiance but would like to own property myself in case of any problems in the future.

I have looked at the Phil Gov website and it seems that I will not be able to legally own the property myself?

Thanks in advance

aromulus
10th September 2006, 16:35
I dont know if this bit of news from a Phil realtor is any good,
but it might appease your fears a bit...

Real Estate Law in the Philippines

This is a complex subject that changes; you will always need to consult a Cebu Realtor to check the latest developments. To give a general idea however, here are some guidelines.

Non-Filipinos (foreigners) who are NOT married to a Filipino:

- you can own a house but not the land it stands on; you can lease the land or form a corporation. The corporation is to be 40% foreign-owned (maximum) and 60% Filipino-owned (minimum), and with at least five incorporators. Upon incorporation, a main bank account should be tied to it. A foreign national may be the sole person in the bank account, allowing him/her total control over the funds derived from the corporation and the income or sale of the asset or property.
- you can however own a condominium unit or townhouse unit.

Non-Filipinos (foreigners) who are married to a Filipino:

- your spouse can own property. This means that when your husband/wife dies, you as the natural heir will become the legal owner of his/her property. The same is true for the children. Every natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) can inherit the property of his/her Filipino father/mother even if he/she does not have any Filipino citizenship.

I don't know how often they move the goalposts there, or how far.....
so you have to make some more enquiries. but this comes from a realtor website.
Sorry i cannot be of more help.

Dom

KeithD
10th September 2006, 17:02
As far as I'm aware their is a bill going through now that is supposed to loosen up all the red tape with regard to outside investors.....I'll believe it when I see it though :)

ginapeterb
11th September 2006, 10:39
Hi,

Could someone advise me what my rights as an alien are to own property in the Philippines? I am intending to marry my Fiance but would like to own property myself in case of any problems in the future.

I have looked at the Phil Gov website and it seems that I will not be able to legally own the property myself?

Thanks in advance

Go to my website and read this section

http://www.british-filipino.com/realestate.html

It has everything you need to know.

KeithD
11th September 2006, 17:47
Good timing eh Pete? :)

ginapeterb
11th September 2006, 18:13
Good timing eh Pete? :)

Yes its funny how questions come up, and it was there just at the right time, Pete does it again.

Eljohno
11th September 2006, 18:14
Your advice is invaluable Pete and i am sure one day i will be looking to buy property in the Philippines so at least now i know how to go about it:rolleyes:

mupsuit
11th September 2006, 18:56
I found the Rustan website - it has their current foodstuff pricelist

useful information if you are considering a move !

Eljohno
11th September 2006, 19:45
I found the Rustan website - it has their current foodstuff pricelist

useful information if you are considering a move !

Can you explain more as i do not know what Rustan is?

KeithD
11th September 2006, 20:15
Your advice is invaluable Pete and i am sure one day i will be looking to buy property in the Philippines so at least now i know how to go about it:rolleyes:
Remember Pete's 10% commission :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mupsuit
12th September 2006, 08:26
Can you explain more as i do not know what Rustan is?

Rustan is a major supermarket / department store chain - perhaps a bit more upmarket than SM - I have seen them in the Manila area and thought they were national :doh but I assume from your post that they are not in the south area where you have been

A_flyer
12th September 2006, 19:48
Rustan is a major supermarket / department store chain
They are only in Metro Manila aera, here is their store list: http://supermarket.rustans.com/index.php?link=branches

jazzrhym
23rd March 2007, 18:37
according to the philippine constitution only filipinos can own lands in the philippines but there are always exception likeif your married to a filipina then you can own land but under the name of your wife and you.

fred
24th March 2007, 00:40
As far as I know,Under no circumstance except for willed inheritance from a spouse can a foreigner own land ...FULL STOP.
The lease thing sounds good until it is challenged by a seperated/angry spouse or next of kin in a Filipino court of law and when the ***** hits the fan the judge will quote from the anti dummy laws that will render your lease null and void. (lease between husband and wife)
Filipino 1 Foreigner 0

Final score!!

fred
24th March 2007, 00:46
Bet you cant guess what word ***** was???

KeithD
24th March 2007, 09:37
Mancs :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
25th March 2007, 15:38
hmm a five letter word :Erm:

connected with scousers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

loser :icon_lol:
brats
fagot
crazy
bogey
butts
creep

oh i could go on and on !! :D

jonnijon
24th June 2007, 06:01
Just found out if you have a 13g residence visa you,as a foreign national can own up to 1000 sq mtr of land.Check out the live in the philippines blog

fred
24th June 2007, 09:09
Back to the drawing board!!

The 13g visa is a visa for previous Filipino nationals,those that surrendered Filipino pasports and become British etc..
Not really much in demand anymore as they can now get dual citizenship without land ownership limits.
As a foreigner I now have a 13a visa(well almost) which means that I do not need to keep leaving the country as those with tourist visas do annually.
My rights to own land are still zero unfortunatley..

Niltch..nada..wala..NOTHING..bugger all.:doh