PDA

View Full Version : skilled workers in UK

ballistix
29th November 2008, 16:36
I'm planning to apply as skilled worker in UK. I recently saw from the news and read from the vfs-uk-ph.com that they are already having the point based system, just like in Australia and Canada.

Before, im planning to apply as student in UK. unfortunately my IELTS result was not able reach the university standard. I got 6.0 and the standard for the uni is 6.5 :bigcry: I took it twice same band score, another 8k:bigcry:

Now, i have to move on. I just want to clear if the possibility is around 70% if i apply for skilled worker? From what I understand, the 1st thing i need to do is look for a company who will accept me as their employee :D.

Do you know any website where I can search for those jobs, who accept applicants from other country or Philippines?
or I need to check for those jobs in OWWA or POEA?

The advantages i can see in me:
1. I have relatives in UK
2. They can provide me the show money :D
3. I'm currently employed with good background of educ.
4. I got 6.0 in IELTS (i hope this is enough if i apply for the job)
5. The work i want is in the shortlist of skilled workers job - IT(Sys/Net Ad or Support)

kindly feel free to tell me what other things do i need :D
Thanks a lot

darren-b
29th November 2008, 19:53
The advantages i can see in me:
5. The work i want is in the shortlist of skilled workers job - IT(Sys/Net Ad or Support)

Are you sure about this? The list I've seen doesn't include it.

ballistix
29th November 2008, 20:54
I haven't seen the real list/legit list of skilled workers of UK. can you share the link? thanks.
I just saw it from News they announced it there that IT is one in the short list of skilled workers.

joebloggs
29th November 2008, 22:01
i think certain IT jobs were removed off the job shortage list recently :doh

http://www.trainingfoundation.com/page/articles/771.html

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/workingintheuk/shortageoccupationlist

worse 200,000 fewer jobs available for migrant workers under new rules

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/migrantworkers

your advantages of having relatives and their money, i don't think will help you get a work permit.

maybe you read about tier 1 visa, where you don't need a job offer or a work permit to come and work in the UK, if your young, have at least a degree, and had a good paid job in the phils - at a guess 50k a month to get 25 points, but then it all depends on how young and qualified you are to get the 75 points, then you could try for tier 1.

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier1/general/eligibility/#header1

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
29th November 2008, 23:01
Wow half the Missus mates could be here on a tier one.

joebloggs
29th November 2008, 23:15
depends how old you are andy, in basic terms

Under 28 years old - 20 points
28 or 29 years old - 10
30 or 31 years old - 5

so getting 75 points could be near impossible if your 28 +

as for quals..

Phd gets you 50 points
Master's 35
Bachelor's 30

and for earnings

earning points
£16,000 - £17,000 5
£18,000 - £19,999 10
£20,000 - £22,999 15
£23,000 - £25,999 20
£26,000 - £28,999 25
£29,000 - £31,999 30
£32,000 - £34,999 35
£35,000 - £39,999 40
£40,000 +

and 5 points awarded for United Kingdom experience, 10 for english skills,

so you can see why getting 75 points for some could be a problem :NoNo:

andypaul
29th November 2008, 23:22
The earnings would be but the english and quals and the age is no problems.

Who earns 39k in phill? Or is it scaled for each country?

Maybe if the exchange rate goes down to 1 to 1 we might have them all in easily:D

joebloggs
30th November 2008, 00:05
i think each country has been given a index/value so you can translate the English pay scale to which ever country your applying from..

i think for the phils that value is 3.2

so £39,999 / 3.2 is £12,500a yr in the phils, 12,500 *75(php to £) /12 (months) = 78k php a month :Erm:

also you need £2,800 in cash to show as maintenance

ballistix
1st December 2008, 17:52
oh no! :bigcry:

hopeless again here.
Even for Tier 1 its hard to meet that requirements. My salary is not enough.

DianaKevy
2nd December 2008, 14:33
oh btw, I'm taking the Ielts here in England this coming Saturday, can you give me some tips? I need to get 6.5! thanks!!!

hello fhars,

why do u have to take the IELTS? you're english is not bad already.

DianaKevy
2nd December 2008, 14:51
Hi Diana,

How are you?

I'm on a work permit for 2 years and I'm hoping to extend my stay in England through Tier 1. I have gathered all the docs I needed except for the Ielts and I'm desperate to get a score of 6.5.

Kind Regards,
Fara

Oh I see. I thought you are holding a spousal visa,sorry. It's easy to get the 6.5 score. I've got that score but that was 3 yrs ago in the Phils. I don't know if I can use the expired IELTS.

You just need to practice and practice thats all I can say. Good Luck!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ballistix
2nd December 2008, 16:25
Hi Fhars,

They are already citizen in UK. how's the process if they if i will be their dependent?

Regarding IELTS,
There are 4 sets of exam.
1. Listening - from its word just listen carefully the questions
2. Reading - hardest part for me. highlight the important words or sentences while reading it so that when you get to the question its easy to find the answers.
3. Writing - start to the 2nd part which harder from the 1st part. make sure you write more than 250 words one the 2nd part and 150 on the 1st part.
4. Speaking - I think this is the easiest part. just answer the question using right words.

darren-b
2nd December 2008, 18:49
Hi Fhars,

They are already citizen in UK. how's the process if they if i will be their dependent?

As you are 23 and working there isn't a process.

ballistix
2nd December 2008, 19:02
what do you mean there's no process? what should visa should i apply?

darren-b
2nd December 2008, 21:40
what do you mean there's no process? what should visa should i apply?

To apply as a dependant of your relatives you would would have to have no close relatives living near you, be completely or mainly financially dependent on them and living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances.

If you want to move to the UK your only real options are tourist (short period only), student, working, or as the partner of a someone settled in the UK.

joebloggs
3rd December 2008, 01:35
having relatives in the uk will not help you.

you need to apply for a visa and get here in your own right.

as for ielts, only valid for 2yrs.

i thought the minimum for tier 1 was average of 6, not 6.5 :doh

ballistix
3rd December 2008, 17:27
Hi again! I just got an offer from a skul and IELTS 6.0 is enough for the course I applied.
I just need to pay for down payment and then they are going to send me the acceptance letter.

I have problem right now, in applying visa. The class will start on 6 January.
I only have half month to process my visa. Do you think there is still hope that I can have my visa atleast 1 week before 6 January?

How long does it take in scheduling the interview in the Consul and also getting the visa?
sorry for the crap english

joebloggs
4th December 2008, 19:03
HI Joe,

It's 6.5 for Tier 1. =) Check again the point system in ukba.

yes, it 6.5 :doh

was your degree not taught in English :Erm:

keithAngel
5th December 2008, 01:56
Unless the degree was in Tagalog it would have been in a kind of English my honeys daughter goes to a private school and its exasperating reading the "information notes and assignments " that come home supposedly in the English language, If you were to complain or comment though the child or student might well be discriminated against.

If any members here in the Phils or UK need to improve their skills then we have a very reasonable on line tuition service on skype :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
5th December 2008, 19:21
Unless the degree was in Tagalog it would have been in a kind of English my honeys daughter goes to a private school and its exasperating reading the "information notes and assignments " that come home supposedly in the English language, If you were to complain or comment though the child or student might well be discriminated against.

If any members here in the Phils or UK need to improve their skills then we have a very reasonable on line tuition service on skype :xxgrinning--00xx3:

At one party for my Wifes little Bro all the school teachers from the very highly regarded locally school the Wife and her siblings went to were there.
I made a point in speaking to them in Queens English (ie very clearly spoken ENGLISH) I ended up speaking with a yankie accent as like you didn't want to show them up:NoNo:

when I have been over or one cousin who lives in the US we make a big point of making the Children of the family speak English. The last time i was over in two weeks the English levels of all went up. They got better grades in class im told.

Its certainly not English many phills speak at school. My Wife learned more from the BBC it seems than from her school lessons:rolleyes:

ballistix
5th December 2008, 20:57
guys,
do i still need medical certificate for student visa application?
I'm thinking if this is needed coz i don't see it from the requirements.

joebloggs
10th December 2008, 14:29
It was taught in English maybe i need to get it certified by Naric I guess....

if it was i don't think you need to do IELTS !, yes see what naric say about your degree.

PeterB
11th December 2008, 15:44
...also i post a thread about civil partnership... do u know what evidence I need?

Well, you need to be in a 'same-sex' relationship in order to qualify for civil partnership!

joebloggs
23rd December 2008, 11:55
I got 6.5 on my Ielts!

:xxgrinning--00xx3: as expected :D

what next thou ? :Erm:

joebloggs
23rd December 2008, 12:02
in at the deep end hey, getting wed :D

r u still working for that same company ?