PDA

View Full Version : Bangers and mash, fish and chips ....

paulgee
25th November 2008, 11:42
Ok, so we all know that filipino food consists of rice and unknown fish, vegetables and fruits.... oh and more rice!

BUT ... what do filipinas in Britain think of typical British food? I pondered this recently when talking fish with my gf (another intimate conversation!!). I wondered what she would think of kippers, which I love.

And do filipinas trot out to the chippy for traditional fish and chips of an evening? And guys, does your filipina wife manage to cook the sort of traditional foods of this country?

So, any filipinas in Britain, or who have visited; what is your reaction to typical British dishes, your likes and dislikes? At least my gf will be forewarned, should she visit some time in the future.

Paul

aromulus
25th November 2008, 11:53
Well............:Erm:

My wife boils the sausages before frying them.....:omg: But they taste better that way, I do admit, not loaded with fat.

The fish and chips is a no-no, the batter is always too greasy and like cardboard.:NoNo:

The kippers...... too many bones.:cwm23: Even for me....

She likes smoked salmon, sunday roast, 'tatoes and gravy....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We have adopted a kind I cook you wash the pots policy....:D

We love variety, so the fridge-freezer is always stocked up with all sorts, but NO pre-prepared foods.
The microwave is only used to warm things up or quick defrost, and not to cook.
The leche flan is our weekly treat....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
25th November 2008, 12:00
Ok, so we all know that filipino food consists of rice and unknown fish, vegetables and fruits.... oh and more rice!

So, any filipinas in Britain, or who have visited; what is your reaction to typical British dishes, your likes and dislikes? At least my gf will be forewarned, should she visit some time in the future.

Paul

Hmmmm yea more rice lol :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

My hubby bring this thingy last time its very traditional food named to a famous person hmmmm i forgot that name duuuuuuuuuuu :doh:doh:doh:doh it's just like SISIG in filipino and it's yummy but its bit oily....

Fish and chips hmmm same favorite food with my hubby paul hehehe... i guess I can eat tht too hehehe... I want to try black pudding hehehe... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
25th November 2008, 12:02
The leche flan is our weekly treat....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: I love it...

simplelife
25th November 2008, 12:06
I love cooking so we can only have Fish and Chips if we were out or if theres no really time to cook our meals, but most of the time I cook a well-balanced meal for our dinner.
As for British traditional foods, I love Roasted Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. I love Sheperds Pie or Cottage Pie, I love cornish pastries, I love Roast Turkey.
My Fiance loves Black Pudding but I do not like it.
He loves Filipino dishes so I did not have any problem, but to be fair I cook Filipino foods twice a week and English foods twice a week also then the rest of the weeks I cook other especialties such as Italian, Chinese, Thai, and even Japanese foods.
If we have time, we discuss what we having for the whole week so then I can make a list for our weekly food shopping. We do out shopping together. We avoid instant food like those microwavable and canned food.

amyburple
25th November 2008, 12:11
Ohhhh I know now.... its Haggis --- tried it and it's nice hehehe :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
25th November 2008, 14:01
Filipinos have balut and dried fish - we have tripe and cowheel and jellied eels.

Excuse me - i need the bathroom.:NoNo:

Al.:)

aromulus
25th November 2008, 14:02
Filipinos have balut and dried fish - we have tripe and cowheel and jellied eels.

:censored: me........ :vomit-smiley-011::gost:

lavander
25th November 2008, 15:00

Speaking of Balut... Am planning to bring some Balut here at Stuttgart early next year :D ( after my Xmas Holiday in PI)..

I can't imagine how my German mate (including my boss ) would react :D

Hope i won't be thrown back to PI for good after this hahahah..

..Full of Life ..Full of Surprise and Full of ..... :icon_lol:

KeithD
25th November 2008, 16:41
My wife real enjoys the traditional British Sunday dried fish and rice :Erm:

ANDRES25
25th November 2008, 17:19
FISH and CHIPS, BANGERS AND MASH my husband's favorites. I have to learn how to cook all the traditional english meals soon. My father in- law already bought me a few recipe books, waiting for me to use them... I hope sooon!!!!!!!!!

aromulus
25th November 2008, 17:30
english food.....:Erm:

Pizza and chips,
lasagna and chips,
bacon and chips,
egg sausage and chips,
steak pie and chips
'Tato pie and chips
pastie and chips
chips and chips
:Brick:

Sconnie
25th November 2008, 19:09
english food.....:Erm:

Pizza and chips,
lasagna and chips,
bacon and chips,
egg sausage and chips,
steak pie and chips
'Tato pie and chips
pastie and chips
chips and chips
:Brick:

what about SPAM

and Chips

tiN
25th November 2008, 19:35

My mother inlaw cooked a tripe for me with tatties, and when i tasted it, i know right away that we have that in Philippines.

You can usually taste tripe in Philippines, try chowking, their congee have tripe or Goto?:D

aromulus
25th November 2008, 19:36
what about SPAM

We all get our daily share from Keith..........:omg::Bolt::xxparty-smiley-004:

:ARsurrender::ARsurrender:

tiN
25th November 2008, 19:38

BUT ... what do filipinas in Britain think of typical British food? I pondered this recently when talking fish with my gf (another intimate conversation!!). I wondered what she would think of kippers, which I love.

And do filipinas trot out to the chippy for traditional fish and chips of an evening? And guys, does your filipina wife manage to cook the sort of traditional foods of this country?

Paul

Love fish and chips:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Love mince and tatties, roast beef and cauliflower cheese.. and also salmon as my husband and I love fishing and use to catch every time. Brown trout as well its very tasty:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I dont like black pudding :Cuckoo:

Ann07
25th November 2008, 19:38
I like all british foods and i always cook it in the house so as my husband he likes filipino foods:xxgrinning--00xx3:

One of my craving is fish and chips:icon_lol:

tiN
25th November 2008, 19:45
I like all british foods and i always cook it in the house so as my husband he likes filipino foods:xxgrinning--00xx3:

One of my craving is fish and chips:icon_lol:

Im eating it right now:Rasp::icon_lol::Rasp:

With loads of vinegar and salt:Cuckoo:

Ann07
25th November 2008, 19:47
Im eating it right now:Rasp::icon_lol::Rasp:

With loads of vinegar and salt:Cuckoo:

wow yummy tin :doh had it yesterday after my tea ( lumpia and chopseuy) i was craving for it so i order around 8pm wahhhhhhhhhhh:icon_lol: just few hours after my tea:icon_lol:

ENJOY :doh:bigcry:

Jay&Zobel
25th November 2008, 20:35
Speaking of Balut... Am planning to bring some Balut here at Stuttgart early next year :D ( after my Xmas Holiday in PI)..

I can't imagine how my German mate (including my boss ) would react :D

Hope i won't be thrown back to PI for good after this hahahah..

..Full of Life ..Full of Surprise and Full of ..... :icon_lol:

nooooo... that is no.1 nonono!!! it is prohibited to bring balut hehe.. go & check the guidelines of bringing food to UK...

Jay&Zobel
25th November 2008, 20:38
i like roast dinners - duck, beef, pork, chicken!!!

sausage & burger (vans)

full english breakfasts

english tea

christmas cakes!!!

pavlova

pasties & pies

paulgee
26th November 2008, 09:46
Well, interesting responses, thank you. And as for balut .... I was unaware of it before, but forewarned is forearmed I think.

I assumed Filipinas here would like sweet food, as my gf has a sweet tooth. But guys here seem to do pretty well for traditional British meals, nice to know the two diets can co-exist.

If only we paid filipino prices in the UK, it must be a shock for filipinas shopping here for the first time to see their money disappear so quickly :cwm34:

Paul

Gavanddal
26th November 2008, 14:16
nooooo... that is no.1 nonono!!! it is prohibited to bring balut hehe.. go & check the guidelines of bringing food to UK...

Since when has Stuttgart been in the UK? :Erm:

vbkelly
26th November 2008, 18:06

Paul

my husband loves filipino foods thats why i didn't cook english foods

honeybunny
1st December 2008, 11:57
so far i liked eating fish and chips
pasties
weetabix....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

and honey also loves filipino food

Alan
1st December 2008, 12:07
The most eaten dish in the world - I'm sorry - but - how can anybody ENJOY boiled rice????

jimeve
1st December 2008, 17:05
I can only eat boiled rice, if its with a curry or chili con carny. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
1st December 2008, 19:48
I can only eat boiled rice, if its with a curry or chili con carny. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not even for a million pounds, Mr Admin Boss you can keep the money Jim said no ta:D

Jay&Zobel
1st December 2008, 22:53
The most eaten dish in the world - I'm sorry - but - how can anybody ENJOY boiled rice????

RICE IS THE BEST!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd December 2008, 00:00

hahahaha

how can you compare rice to a northern bag of chips !!

even my misses has started eating chips and gravy, not your southerner fries, proper northern spuds ;o)

need to reboot pc ! still no smilies !!

jimeve
2nd December 2008, 17:51
Not even for a million pounds, Mr Admin Boss you can keep the money Jim said no ta:D

for a million pounds I'll eat not only the rice, but eat the plate and table as well.

Jay&Zobel
2nd December 2008, 22:33

hahahaha

how can you compare rice to a northern bag of chips !!

even my misses has started eating chips and gravy, not your southerner fries, proper northern spuds ;o)

need to reboot pc ! still no smilies !!

for a million pounds I'll eat not only the rice, but eat the plate and table as well.

whehehe... Jimeve, ill join you! im a rice addict, same as my husband! i think i know why some Brits are not very happy eating rice... COZ it's the way they cook it! and they drain it lol... buhaghag ba! and some put salt! eeeww...:cwm24:

but we have this technique where we use our finger to measure the level of water and keep it so soft and fluffy & sticky hehhee...