PDA

View Full Version : Ielts

DianaKevy
18th November 2008, 14:31
Hello Fhars,

The only advise I could give is just keep on practising. Where are you going to take?

DianaKevy
18th November 2008, 18:17
Hey Diana

Thanks for your reply. I'm taking the test in Bath University. ta!

ok. Good Luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
18th November 2008, 18:44
Hey guys

I need help and advise.

I'm taking the IELTS this coming December. ANy tips and advise? I'm browsing the net and found some websites but maybe some of you took the test already and can at least give me some hints ?

Thanks A lot!

IELTS is the requirements ummmm I thought ESOL is needed? :Erm::Erm::Erm: I'm teaching IELTS to all my KOREAN STUDENTS... It's quite difficult but practice makes you perfect :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

GOOD LUCK TO YOUR EXAM :):):)

Jay&Zobel
18th November 2008, 18:55
ielts... u applying as a nurse? or just for general knowledge and additional credentials?

andypaul
18th November 2008, 21:27
Search Ielts

Joes Wife and Mine have both taken it.

Its a very well done test where if you have the skills your get a good pass.

Make sure you do plenty of mock tests.

Also ensure you understand in the speaking exam what they are looking for.

The wife had some great MP3's which gave examples both with and without a commentray explaining what they did right and wrong.

Trust me the Ielts exam is not just for nurses the wife found it actually gave her a huge plus mark for her first job in a coffe shop.

Jay&Zobel
18th November 2008, 21:34
Search Ielts

Joes Wife and Mine have both taken it.

Its a very well done test where if you have the skills your get a good pass.

Make sure you do plenty of mock tests.

Also ensure you understand in the speaking exam what they are looking for.

The wife had some great MP3's which gave examples both with and without a commentray explaining what they did right and wrong.

Trust me the Ielts exam is not just for nurses the wife found it actually gave her a huge plus mark for her first job in a coffe shop.

thanks for this... :rolleyes: made me think now... might consider it as well.

joebloggs
19th November 2008, 00:33
it's an all day test, so get a lot of sleep the night b4,

it depends on what score your aiming for,my wife needed an average of 7 in each section, first time she got an average of 6.5, next time she got a 7 and as the cert only last 2yrs, the 3rd time she got an average of 7 again with no revision :xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
19th November 2008, 04:49

it depends on what score your aiming for,my wife needed an average of 7 in each section, first time she got an average of 6.5, next time she got a 7 and as the cert only last 2yrs, the 3rd time she got an average of 7 again with no revision :xxgrinning--00xx3:

GOOD JOB for your WIFE :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
19th November 2008, 19:20

for many although it only lasts two years.

my Wife would still show it on her CV as it shows before she entered the uk she had a decent level of English.

For jobs, education and possibly for ILR or citzenship in the near future its worth having some sort of english qualifcation.

The good thing for those taking the Ilets for no reason there is no pass it just gives you a good idea of your Enlish skill level.
It is a very good idea to study and take before coming to the UK. As loved ones in Phills will adapt to your philglish so when you speak to people in the Uk its not so easy sometimes.

amyburple
19th November 2008, 19:47
for many although it only lasts two years.

my Wife would still show it on her CV as it shows before she entered the uk she had a decent level of English.

For jobs, education and possibly for ILR or citzenship in the near future its worth having some sort of english qualifcation.

The good thing for those taking the Ilets for no reason there is no pass it just gives you a good idea of your Enlish skill level.
It is a very good idea to study and take before coming to the UK. As loved ones in Phills will adapt to your philglish so when you speak to people in the Uk its not so easy sometimes.

ahhhh i got it now... so taking IELTS there is just for you to know the level of your English proficiency... but IELTS is not requirements for taking the exam for UK LIFE TEST ayt?

There are IELTS center here in PINAS..

PHILIPPINES

British Council Pasig City - Test Centre
IELTS Administrator
10/F Taipan Place
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Centre
Pasig City 1605 Tel: 63 2 914 1011 or 1014
Fax: 63 2 914 1020
Email: ielts@britishcouncil.org.ph
Web: http://www.britishcouncil.org. ... (http://www.britishcouncil.org.ph/)

IDP Education Australia Philippines - Test Centre
IELTS Administrator
2/F Pioneer House Makati
108 Paseo de Roxas, Legaspi Village
Makati City, Metro Manila Tel: 63 2 816 0755
Fax: 63 2 815 9875
Email: info@manila.idp.com
Web:

andypaul
19th November 2008, 20:01
well for several countries i think in particular aus and Canada say all newcomers have to have a certain level.
the wife who sat next to one guy was retaking as needed a certain level to go to one of the two i forget now.

The Wife also mentioned it on her cover letter for her application showing she understood english well enough to work once she was in the uk. If it made a difference we dont know for sure. But it made us more confidence in saying we would not need to rely on Public funds.

andypaul
20th November 2008, 12:58
4 months ouchh make sure you keep a close eye on whats happening to them sounds like they may go into adminstration, be taken over etc.
Sueing the company is time consuming so hopefully you get compenstated in a speedier fashion.

joebloggs
21st November 2008, 00:16
I need 6.5 to get a 10pts n my Tier 1. DO u think i can pass the test? Ur wife sounds really clever! Can u ask her what type or exam they give?

I've no idea if you can get 6.5, depends how well you can read, write, speak and listen in English, but my misses has only done the academic ielts, like i said she got 6.5 the first time, and the next 2 times she got an average of 7.

so i would have thought with a bit of revision you could get 6.5 or more :rolleyes:

you know from the 27th nov, i think there will no longer be work permits issued, it will all be PBS ( points based system) and i think those on work permits now, if the work permit expires before they can apply for IlR, then the work permit extension will be under the PBS system, which maybe many on work permits will not be successful at getting :NoNo: i hope not, but we wait and see .

andypaul
21st November 2008, 00:22
Hi Andy,

I rang the citisens advise and they told me that they will help me write a formal letter. ACcrdng to the citisens advise, it would only cost me little money to sue them but i dont really want to do that since I need them for the processin of my new visa.... I know, im actuali in a very stressful situation... Im glad my partner is very supportive... bless him!

I presume they mean small claims although it has a limit on the total you can claim. Also you can claim intrest as well.
But still takes time to process i would have thought untill the money is in your Pocket.

Sounds like he is very good for you.

What ever happens i hope it works out the right way for you both:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
21st November 2008, 00:24
Hi Joebloggs,

Thanks alot! You know that you're the one who gave me the idea to apply for a new visa.. I owe u for that! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I need 6.5 to get a 10pts n my Tier 1. DO u think i can pass the test? Ur wife sounds really clever! Can u ask her what type or exam they give?

Well if you have taken mock tests (although the speaking one is hard to practise) you should have a good idea how your doing.

cheesewiz
22nd November 2008, 00:48
I am not that fluent in English (my grammar is not that good as some people here) but one thing I can say is i can communicate well, I am a good listener and I always want to learn.

About that PBS system, its true that after 27 Nov HO will abolished the work permit and change it to HSMP. Luckily, senior carer are not part of PBS (those in the country already) bec they have a transitional agreement extended as long as they can find an employer willing to pay £7.02/hour.

joebloggs
22nd November 2008, 10:01
About that PBS system, its true that after 27 Nov HO will abolished the work permit and change it to HSMP. Luckily, senior carer are not part of PBS (those in the country already) bec they have a transitional agreement extended as long as they can find an employer willing to pay £7.02/hour.

yes no more work permits after the 27th of nov, hsmp name is not used any more, known as tier 1 now. thou i believe you can still get a work permit extension if your with the same employer still.

if you change employer then i think you would have to apply using PBS tier 2 , so maybe those on work permits should stick with the same employer if they can til they can apply for ILR :Erm:

Jay&Zobel
22nd November 2008, 13:22
Hi Jay&Zobel,

I'm applying for Tier 1 and im taking the general test. Thanks!

ok po! thanks and study well hehe..:xxgrinning--00xx3:kaya mo yan!

Jay&Zobel
22nd November 2008, 13:25
yes no more work permits after the 27th of nov, hsmp name is not used any more, known as tier 1 now. thou i believe you can still get a work permit extension if your with the same employer still.

if you change employer then i think you would have to apply using PBS tier 2 , so maybe those on work permits should stick with the same employer if they can til they can apply for ILR :Erm:

joebloggs, mod,

you really are very helpful!!!! thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
22nd November 2008, 23:20
With regards to my employer, I think I will stick to them even though I havent been paid... I have few job offers but im scared that my visa might get rejected if they find out that I am working with a diff company? Does the home office consider ppl that havent been paid to work to a diff company?

is this company a big company ? not paying you for 4 months :yikes::NoNo:, are there signs they have money problems/going broke ?

i don't think you can start working for someone else til they have a work permit for you, nope I'm sure the HO don't care if you've been paid or not, or have been made redundant.

you should contact your local law centre for free advice.

Jay&Zobel
22nd November 2008, 23:24
is this company a big company ? not paying you for 4 months :yikes::NoNo:, are there signs they have money problems/going broke ?

i don't think you can start working for someone else til they have a work permit for you, nope I'm sure the HO don't care if you've been paid or not, or have been made redundant.

You can sue them & make more money! :NoNo:

baboyako
23rd November 2008, 00:02

:NoNo:

andypaul
23rd November 2008, 00:08

Like Mr bloggs says worth diing deep with company as if they go into adminstration things can change i dont know all the ins and outs but can affect i would have thought what you can claim back.