PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drives

amyburple
14th November 2008, 09:29
I have quarries... I'm planning to buy external hard drives coz I want to transfer all my files and docs from my laptop that I'm using it right now... coz I will buy new laptop soon and i will give my old one to me brother...

Now I have 2 options in my mind... Do i need to buy usb with 8 GB (i guess) and the other one is to buy external hard drive (160 GBB)... 8 GB USB is more dearer than the hard drive... Now my files on my laptop is not that many.. The memory of my laptop now is less than 1GB only... So what do you think what should I buy... :Erm::Erm::Erm: And now I guess 160 GB is to big also hehehe. I'm not sure how many GB is the appropriate for my files on my laptop now...

Anyway suggestions please :):):)

nethlewy
14th November 2008, 09:34
You could just connect your old comp to the new one and then transfer the files directly.

amyburple
14th November 2008, 09:45
You could just connect your old comp to the new one and then transfer the files directly.

Ummm we will buy my new laptop there hopefully...So I will bring over the external hard drive there... :):):) That's the reason why

KeithD
14th November 2008, 09:48
Everyone should have a pen/external HD and be in the habit of making backups often. That way you won't lose them when the inevitable happens.

amyburple
14th November 2008, 09:58
Everyone should have a pen/external HD and be in the habit of making backups often. That way you won't lose them when the inevitable happens.

yes boss that what will I do... I'm just confuse on what to by USB or External HD hmmmm :Erm::Erm::Erm:

KeithD
14th November 2008, 10:16
USB 8GB is usually enough....whereas I need a few Terebytes :omg:

amyburple
14th November 2008, 10:35
USB 8GB is usually enough....whereas I need a few Terebytes :omg:

I scout the prices for that earlier BOSS... USB (8GB) is more expensive than 160 GB... The sales man is suggesting me to buy the External hard drive....

I have a questions BOSS.... Is it the same the equivalent memory on the laptop and the memory on the USB.. Lets say the memory of my laptop is only less than 1GB and thn what is the equivalent memory of tht on the USB... :Erm::Erm::Erm:

KeithD
14th November 2008, 11:28
Laptop memory has nothing to do with stroage, that is the laptop HD.

You can get 8GB pen drives on eBay cheap. Otherwise you want a pocketsize HD.

amyburple
14th November 2008, 14:18
Laptop memory has nothing to do with stroage, that is the laptop HD.

You can get 8GB pen drives on eBay cheap. Otherwise you want a pocketsize HD.

ummm OK :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::):)

les_taxi
14th November 2008, 17:47
could you just not burn docs to a couple of cds/dvds?

amyburple
14th November 2008, 19:08
could you just not burn docs to a couple of cds/dvds?

Good suggestions :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: My cd room is knackered :doh:doh:NoNo::NoNo:

andypaul
14th November 2008, 19:49
If you have really important files

Even pictures of loved ones for those seperated are priceless

I would go with either the usb or hard disk with a seperate backup of the really important irreplacable files (pictures, certain docs on cd)

usb flash memory is good small and you dont need a mains or battery supply. dont need defraging etc. Also can take more rough treatment while operating than a HDD.
But can die at a moment notice and have sometimes alimited life span. Also important to think of the transfer rate as can vary a lot due to the make and type.

Hard disk is far bigger and do remember in 1995 most of us were amazed to have a 1gb hdd now programs can be bigger than that. So if you intend to keep for a while best to think maybe not 13 years but it does not take long for techno gadgets to become outdated.
So personally i would go for the HDD.

Now days i use mainly flash hdd which are not big but have the best of both worlds. But then i dont pay for my gadgets:D

KeithD
14th November 2008, 22:16
Have you tried Vaseline?

Oh :furious3: ....wrong forum!! :doh

andypaul
14th November 2008, 22:18
Have you tried Vaseline?

Oh :furious3: ....wrong forum!! :doh

Are you selling vaseline on Ebay now?

Its really hard to get hold off.

keeps slipping out of your hands:omg:

joebloggs
15th November 2008, 02:10
Hard disk is far bigger and do remember in 1995 most of us were amazed to have a 1gb hdd now programs can be bigger than that. So if you intend to keep for a while best to think maybe not 13 years but it does not take long for techno gadgets to become outdated.

1995 come on andy don't make me :icon_lol:, you remember further back than that :D, I'm sure your a similar age to me :D, i remember the 5 1/4 inch full height mfm 5mb hdd back in the late 70's. 1995 :action-smiley-081:

i think you can buy a 8gb usb stick for like £10 now :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

600gb external hdd for £60-ish :Erm:

amyburple
15th November 2008, 05:46
If you have really important files

Even pictures of loved ones for those seperated are priceless

I would go with either the usb or hard disk with a seperate backup of the really important irreplacable files (pictures, certain docs on cd)

usb flash memory is good small and you dont need a mains or battery supply. dont need defraging etc. Also can take more rough treatment while operating than a HDD.
But can die at a moment notice and have sometimes alimited life span. Also important to think of the transfer rate as can vary a lot due to the make and type.

Now days i use mainly flash hdd which are not big but have the best of both worlds. But then i dont pay for my gadgets:D

Thanks for this TIPS Andypual :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: It's well explained :):):) A have lots of pics more than my docs hehehe and also my tons of songs :):):)

Good for you, your not paying your own GADGETS hhehee :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

amyburple
15th November 2008, 05:51
1995 come on andy don't make me :icon_lol:, you remember further back than that :D, I'm sure your a similar age to me :D, i remember the 5 1/4 inch full height mfm 5mb hdd back in the late 70's. 1995 :action-smiley-081:

i think you can buy a 8gb usb stick for like £10 now :yikes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

600 GB is to big MOD hehehe... the available GB here is only 160 :):)

andypaul
15th November 2008, 12:04

late 70's i was in nappies for some of them:D well ok still am:Rasp:

But i do remeber the bigg floppy disks. and 16kb ram expansion packs and what have you.

Amy you might want to consider sd cards and a reader.

http://http://www.expansys.com/c.aspx?f=28

The readers and adaptors dont cost much and you can havebulid up a collection of the cards as you go along.

Heres the card readers make sure you get one which can take larger sizes and which is usb 2.0 otherwise it will be very slow.

Some of them will act and look like a usb stick and you just slot in the card. So if the card goes wrong you can replace or when larger sizes are avaiable etc.

http://www.expansys.com/c.aspx?t=rat&f=663

Just a thought.

Also very easy to take with you and keep safe in a small bag when traveling. A HDD will take up some of your weight allowance on a flight:omg:

The above site is just a easy to navigate site not saying its the best value or easy for you to use. But as many of the devices come from china a trip to manila should help you find similar devices if you cant locally:)