PDA

View Full Version : pre marriage seminar

baboyako
29th August 2006, 18:29
anyone know if you can 'fix' the pre marriage seminar?

I was in davao & they were only every monday & of course it was the kadayawan festival so the wedding is now postponed :NoNo:

seems like there is a whole rake of paperwork that i've not heard about (e.g barangay taxes & stuff)

IainBusby
30th August 2006, 10:44
Has anyone else out there come across the other thing that my wife and I had to do besides the pre marriage seminar to before we could get a marriage licence, that of planting a tree on somewhere on municipal land in the barangay where you are applying for the licence. I'm just wondering if it's just a local policy that someones just dreamed up in that area or its something thats quite common now, because neither my wife, her freinds or her family had ever heard of it before.

Iain.

walesrob
30th August 2006, 10:53
anyone know if you can 'fix' the pre marriage seminar?

I was in davao & they were only every monday & of course it was the kadayawan festival so the wedding is now postponed :NoNo:

seems like there is a whole rake of paperwork that i've not heard about (e.g barangay taxes & stuff)

I attended this pre-marriage nonsense with Elsa when we married. 25 minutes of someone speaking Tagalog (they could have been talking about bananas for all I know), then 45 minutes waiting for a certificate. What was funny was that the "seminar" was held in the car park at Palo Mun. Office, in scorching heat, and the melody of jeepneys in the background, and constant interruptions from busy-bodys :rolleyes: .

So if you can find a way to fix the seminar, you would save yourself a lot of hassle, and time.

The one about planting a tree is interesting, so they want trees and money now? Wow how things have progressed :icon_lol:

IainBusby
30th August 2006, 11:24
It's something about showing a long term commitment to the barangay, they even tell you that you are responsible for looking after the tree and if it should die then you are supposed to come replace it. This was in Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon. It has to be a hardwood tree by the way not a fruit tree.
Iain.

walesrob
30th August 2006, 11:31
It's something about showing a long term commitment to the barangay, they even tell you that you are responsible for looking after the tree and if it should die then you are supposed to come replace it. This was in Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon. It has to be a hardwood tree by the way not a fruit tree.
Iain.

Oh, they don't want much then! :cwm3:

Blimey, I thought you were marrying your lady not the barangay :icon_lol:

IainBusby
30th August 2006, 11:40
Well at least it didn't cost much, we got 4 mahogany saplings, (you have to find your own tree by the way) for 20 pesos, we paid 200 pesos for the paperwork and we paid the guy who accompanied us to the graveyard and did the actual tree planting 100 pesos. I was quite surprised about this, when I first heard it mentioned I thought, here we go another P2000 if were lucky, maybe P5000 if were not.

mupsuit
30th August 2006, 17:30
:rolleyes: .

So if you can find a way to fix the seminar, you would save yourself a lot of hassle, and time.

:icon_lol:

Agreed - however you usually learn about how to fix it after you have attended - hopefully your advice will be read by some engaged couples who will then save themselves the bother of attending to hear what they know already :doh

baboyako
30th August 2006, 18:35
its more than a 25 minute thing.

We both had to fill in a 'pre -pre marriage seminar' exam.

stuff like,
1) who do you expect to earn the money.
2) who do you expect to initiate sex.
3) how many childen do you want.
4) is having a baby within the first 12 months important.

3 pages of that stuff.. the seminar itself is an all day thing (8am start), I read the teachers manual & its all stuff on household accounting, conflict management & all very serious.

As for the barangay things. she had to pay her barangay tax (150pesos), then get a certificate to say she had paid her tax (100pesos). All this had to copied in triplicate. Then some other forms (I had lost interest by this stage), nothing expensive anyway.

No trees planted. I'm sure that's to come...

IainBusby
31st August 2006, 12:37
its more than a 25 minute thing.

We both had to fill in a 'pre -pre marriage seminar' exam.

I think you were very unlucky with your seminar, mine was over as soon as we coughed up some money, P200 if I remember right. The man there just said a few things in Visayas to my wife and then said something in English the general gist of which was, that because I was an older man and had been married before, he was sure he didn't need to lecture me about the responsibilities of marriage.
Iain.

ginapeterb
31st August 2006, 18:26
The marriage guidance and counselling programme is a pre-requisite to obtaining a marriage licence, fortunately for me, when the young girl took a look at me, and realized I was 43 years old, they dispensed with that, and we were able to pay off ! the registrar, with a P200.00 to get the cert done without too much trouble.

The planting of the tree in the barangay is a perculiar custom in some barangays, also your girl may need consent of the barangay pangulo, or Captain to marry, you can of course 'pay off' the barangay pangulo, to look the other way, the best way to do this, is to ask the barangay pangulo, if there is another way of fixing the tree problem without having to do it, the best way, is to grease his palm with a P500.00 note, that normally does the trick, if it doesnt, the son of a bitch, wants more !!!!!

baboyako
31st August 2006, 18:35
case of red horse maybe?

russ01539
31st August 2006, 23:03
I would pull the wool over their eyes and plant a Lleylandi tree. Tell em its very rare and if it grows well the Barangay will be blessed with wealth and happiness.

Those damned things grow anywhere, and you sure as hell wouldn't have the hassle of having to go back and re-plant.

Alfie
4th September 2006, 11:16
We managed to get out of the family planning seninar (bit silly when you are already both 40 odd), but didn't manage to get out of the pre-marriage seminar. It lasted about an hour or so and part of it was filling in the humourous multiple choice questionaire; we both laughed at:
"...if your spouse is not in the mood for sex, do you:
a - try to seduce her/him?
b - get angry
c - ..."

and all questions like that. We found it all very amusing.
We were then interviewed breifly, as part of the seminar. It took place in the municipal buildings.
My wife did try to pull some strings to get out of it but unsuccessfully.

Alfie
4th September 2006, 11:19
if we paid any other taxes it was very small.

ervenescence
5th September 2006, 23:09
LoLs..marriage seminar :rolleyes:

They even discussed about family planning and birth control.
Calendar method, don't know how its work but they said by counting of when the best days to make love? Wotttt...??? Confusing, we didn't get it and besides its just useless when the couple couldn't resists.

KeithD
6th September 2006, 09:07
....and besides its just useless when the couple couldn't resists.

Please elaborate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
6th September 2006, 21:20
I think many people just pay the "tax" i know for a fact i never attended a talk, i do remeber seeing among the raft of paperwork my Wife had obtained while processing our marriage and visa was a family something certifcate which of course we framed and put on the wall:D .

Alfie
7th September 2006, 08:58
I thought the reply of ervenescence would elicit some comment from Keith! You always bring a chuckle to me Keith with your comments - your sense of humour! ha ha!

KeithD
7th September 2006, 09:51
While I'm on here I can't be out an about knicking hub caps :)

ervenescence
7th September 2006, 21:09
....and besides its just useless when the couple couldn't resists.

Please elaborate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We get starve when skipping meals, so just can't resists by being sneaky. :Rasp: