PDA

View Full Version : That unmistakable flavor of Christmas, Pinoy-style

amyburple
13th November 2008, 09:11
PUTO bumbong and bibingka are two native holiday treats that are bound to the pre-drawn Misa de Aguinaldo, which starts December 16 and is held everyday for nine days until Christmas Day.

In the city, even well-dressed matrons buy them dripping with melted butter and sprinkled with niyog to get them going for the nine dawn Masses. The number of street stalls serving these delicacies has dwindled through the years, as has the number of church-goers during the Simbang Gabi. But there are still a few restaurants in town that serve the faithful who attend the dawn Mass.

Where to go if you'd rather have a sit-down breakfast of puto bumbong and bibingka?

Bibingka - is a rice cake similar to the Western pancake in appearance. In taste, texture and way of cooking, however, they are very much different from each other. Bibingka is made from galapong, baked in a special clay pot, lined with a piece of banana leaf, with live coals on top and underneath. It is topped with slices of kesong puti (white cheese) and itlog na maalat (salted duck eggs). The newly-cooked bibingka is spread with butter and sometimes sprinkled with sugar then served with niyog (grated coconut). Galapong is glutinous rice soaked in water then ground with the water to form either a batter or a dough, depending on what the cooked dish is supposed to be.

PeterB
13th November 2008, 10:54
... Misa de Aguinaldo, which starts December 16 and is held everyday for nine days until Christmas Day.

Hey, that's nothing to do with Christmas .. it's to mark my Birthday on December 16!

amyburple
13th November 2008, 12:13
Hey, that's nothing to do with Christmas .. it's to mark my Birthday on December 16!

Advance Happy Birthday then.... How young are you :):):):) December 16, MISA DE GALLO Starts right.... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

reginacarlson
13th November 2008, 12:25
Advance happy birthday PeterB.

Christmas in UK is nothing like back home :NoNo:, it's not as festive as it is in the Philippines.

tiN
13th November 2008, 20:49
:cwm34::cwm34:im going to miss my bibingka:bigcry::bigcry: and the puto bungbung??(sorry for the mispell):D

tiN
13th November 2008, 20:50

Advance happy birthday peter b:)

amyburple
14th November 2008, 09:08
:cwm34::cwm34:im going to miss my bibingka:bigcry::bigcry: and the puto bungbung??(sorry for the mispell):D

hehehehe... Sis if you know how to bake maybe you can try it there hehehehe! :):):):) I'm sure you can buy some ingredients there :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
14th November 2008, 09:09
Advance happy birthday PeterB.

Christmas in UK is nothing like back home :NoNo:, it's not as festive as it is in the Philippines.

Merry Christmas Sis... Nothing beat Christmas of PINOY hehhehehe... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

missmiles
14th November 2008, 18:47
PUTO bumbong and bibingka are two native holiday treats that are bound to the pre-drawn Misa de Aguinaldo, which starts December 16 and is held everyday for nine days until Christmas Day.

In the city, even well-dressed matrons buy them dripping with melted butter and sprinkled with niyog to get them going for the nine dawn Masses. The number of street stalls serving these delicacies has dwindled through the years, as has the number of church-goers during the Simbang Gabi. But there are still a few restaurants in town that serve the faithful who attend the dawn Mass.

Where to go if you'd rather have a sit-down breakfast of puto bumbong and bibingka?

Bibingka - is a rice cake similar to the Western pancake in appearance. In taste, texture and way of cooking, however, they are very much different from each other. Bibingka is made from galapong, baked in a special clay pot, lined with a piece of banana leaf, with live coals on top and underneath. It is topped with slices of kesong puti (white cheese) and itlog na maalat (salted duck eggs). The newly-cooked bibingka is spread with butter and sometimes sprinkled with sugar then served with niyog (grated coconut). Galapong is glutinous rice soaked in water then ground with the water to form either a batter or a dough, depending on what the cooked dish is supposed to be.

Ohhhh COOL.... It's one of my millions of FAVORITES too..... It's sooooo yummylecious.... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

misscarie
15th November 2008, 13:37
i miz 'em!

tiN
15th November 2008, 19:27
hehehehe... Sis if you know how to bake maybe you can try it there hehehehe! :):):):) I'm sure you can buy some ingredients there :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I do, but where can i get my ingredients?:doh:doh

KeithD
15th November 2008, 20:15
I stuff the turkey while it's still alive.....

andypaul
15th November 2008, 20:32
I stuff the turkey while it's still alive.....

I've seen the video:omg:

amyburple
16th November 2008, 07:23
I do, but where can i get my ingredients?:doh:doh

OPTION 1

BIBINGKA (COCONUT RICE DESSERT)

2 1/2 lbs. (5 1/2 c.) mochi rice
1 (12 oz.) can frozen, coconut milk, thawed
1 (1 lb.) pkg. dark brown sugar
1 can condensed milk

Rinse rice and cook in rice cooker. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk and 1 1/4 cups of the brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 20 minutes.

Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Put cooked rice into a large bowl. Stir remainder and remaining brown sugar evenly into the hot rice. Put into pan. Pour condensed milk on top and spread. Bake for 15 minutes, cut into small pieces.

OPTION 2

BIBINGKA

1 lb. mochiko flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. fresh milk
4 eggs
1 can coconut milk
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 block butter, melted

Combine ingredients and mix well using an electric mixer. Sift batter to remove lumps. Pour into 9x13 inch greased pan. Allow 4 to 5 minutes for air bubbles to escape. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle.

**** Try to check in local market or supermarket sis heheheh...:):):) According to my hubby he said there's shops there that you can buy international or Asian ingredients there.... Good luck in your cooking sis :):):):)

Puto bumbong ingredients -- Check this out too.

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/filipino-puto-bumbong-recipe/