Looks like it be here soon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7693993.stm

joebloggs
28th October 2008, 06:44
azure :Erm: is this anything to do with azureus or vuze :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
31st October 2008, 15:53
You and your bitorrents.

Cloud and clients could make a big difference to many phills.

With just a fairly low powered pc with little software but a fairly decent internet link. Far more power will be at your finger tips. One good point also noted is Google and others have made most of their cloud computing freely avaiable. With little spare cash at the avg consumers disposal at the moment many of them will have to say that way at least for the time being.

So use your little netbook or older pc and let the cloud do the work.

jimeve
31st October 2008, 22:28
azure :Erm: is this anything to do with azureus or vuze :xxgrinning--00xx3:

not zure!

walesrob
31st October 2008, 22:47
This new technology is already here - Google Docs, for example - a complete office suite online, with storage for documents. We even do the payroll for my brothers cafe online with an internet based payroll software, so theres almost zero paper generated. Andypaul is right - it's the future of computing and fits in with demands to make computers more portable, easily accessible anywhere and less reliant on installed software. As an example, I could create a word document in Google Docs, save it online, then come back to it later and edit it again, then maybe print it out at a different location. No need for any software on your computer, just a web browser and internet access.

Just a word about the netbooks - I would not recommend these devices as a desktop replacement - they are a bit fiddly with a small screen and small keyboard, but for travel or simple tasks, its fine.

andypaul
31st October 2008, 23:07
This new technology is already here - Google Docs, for example - a complete office suite online, with storage for documents. We even do the payroll for my brothers cafe online with an internet based payroll software, so theres almost zero paper generated. Andypaul is right - it's the future of computing and fits in with demands to make computers more portable, easily accessible anywhere and less reliant on installed software. As an example, I could create a word document in Google Docs, save it online, then come back to it later and edit it again, then maybe print it out at a different location. No need for any software on your computer, just a web browser and internet access.

Just a word about the netbooks - I would not recommend these devices as a desktop replacement - they are a bit fiddly with a small screen and small keyboard, but for travel or simple tasks, its fine.

A docking station or simply a larger monitor (many people use there LCD tvs nowdays) and a keyboard and mouse and your sorted.

Sometimes they have a little stutter and a pause but nothing to worry about.

As you say google docs is one good example.

It is worth LDR couples looking in to or those who need to share the creation of document between phill and the UK, for some reason.

At my workplace and many others i know of. Many Pcs have stripped down pc's where its all about the Web browser many working in virtual devices.
An old example is the ubntu os which runs with an old version of firefox and comes ready to play on VMware. if the OS corrupted you just delete and start a new one. Real handy for support staff and many staff like it as once things go wrong they jsut start again with a fresh system.