PDA

View Full Version : 13a visa Letter of application sample needed

marcus71
25th October 2008, 08:33
Hi everyone! :)

We just got married on October 4th at Manila Cathedral and are now going to start the process of getting the 13a visa. I have been in the Ph on and off for 5 years now and lviing in pasig since march 2008 permanently working in training.

We met a really great guy at the BI in Manila who stamped me for Balikbayan after we got back from our honeymoon in Hong Kong and this has given us confidence to dump the fix it guys and do the 13a ourselves. He didn't have to as we had only been out a week and not a year but a smile gets you a long way!

Just one question, how does a letter of application from my spouse look and what should be in it. It has to be notarized so we don't really want to do all that and have the BI say we got it wrong.

Anything else we should watch out for at the Manila BI in making this application we would be more than happy to hear about. I know there are some threads about the 13a I will read, (already read a lot of them), but none that have given samples of submissions for guidance.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Marcus & Rowena

PeterB
25th October 2008, 18:07
When I applied for my 13a, the guidance notes didn't stipulate who should make the letter of application, so my affidavit states:

I, Peter ....B.., of legal age, a British Citizen, and a resident of Blk3, ..... Tagum City, under my oath depose and state that:

1) I am processing the application for a change in status from temporary visitor to a non-quota immigrant by marriage (under Section 13(a) of the PIA of 1940, as amended).

2) It is my earnest desire and intention to live the rest of my life as a permanent resident of the Republic of the Philippines together with my Filipino wife.

3) I am executing this affidavit to attest to the truth of the foregoing facts.

In witness whereof .....

That was prepared with the help of an attorney/Notary Public, whose office is almost nextdoor to the BI in Davao.

Welsh_Italian
26th October 2008, 08:12
Like Peter B, I had my letter done by a nearby notary public. They have a standard letter and it all comes as part of the "package" of making sure your application is good. I was a bit skeptical about using them at first, but they were very quick and the application was correct upon submission so no complaints from us.

PeterB
26th October 2008, 13:26
I prepared the application myself, but was only told at the time of submission, that the letter should be notarised - hence my rush visit to the attorney. I had all other items which required notarisation produced by my own attorney in Tagum. Being a ninang, her charges are very modest! :)

marcus71
26th October 2008, 14:35
Thanks Guys, (furiously taking notes as we speak!), the new VIMS process should make things a lot quicker I hope. I noted that the new regs state: Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse; Does this mean the letter sample you provided Peter is on top of what my wife has to submit and if so what does my wife's sample look like? Welsh Italian, you stated package? Is this like a fix it guy or do they just whip out a standard template upon request and stamp it with your name on it etc? Anxious not to pay any fix it fees which are very high right now in Manila. :) Thanks for your help.

PeterB
26th October 2008, 18:31
No, there was no application/letter from Ruby!

marcus71
27th October 2008, 10:50
ok so the application letter is your own and not from the Filipino spouse?

Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse;

What does this statement actually mean then?

Thanks

PeterB
27th October 2008, 13:09
That statement means that the letter of application should be written by the Filipino spouse! If you read what I wrote above, the guidance notes available at the time I prepared my application were different :

When I applied for my 13a, the guidance notes didn't stipulate who should make the letter of application

marcus71
27th October 2008, 13:36
yes Peter I read all messages, hence my need to find a sample of this new directive or differing requirements for manila, BI as per my original message quote.

Just one question, how does a letter of application from my spouse look and what should be in it. It has to be notarized so we don't really want to do all that and have the BI say we got it wrong.

I will contact a notary and see if they have a few samples lying around as per Welsh_Italian's tip.

Thanks for your help guys :) Will keep you up to date on progress.

marcus71
27th October 2008, 13:50
Thats odd, i thought I had posted a reply there now and I don't see it -anyway yes Peter I read all messages thoroughly, and as stated I need a sample of the application by my spouse, although I think your sample might be as a covering letter of sorts for the overall application which I needed when I processed my Special work permit in June 2008. I will go anyway to the local notary and see if they have a template handy to work off. Thanks guys, will keep you posted on how things progress.

Welsh_Italian
28th October 2008, 12:12
yes Peter I read all messages, hence my need to find a sample of this new directive or differing requirements for manila, BI as per my original message quote.

I will contact a notary and see if they have a few samples lying around as per Welsh_Italian's tip.

Thanks for your help guys :) Will keep you up to date on progress.

The notary I used had a standard letter which was just what the BI were expecting. We went to the notary (their offices were near the BI), a guy typed the letter up for us, my wife signed it, and it was notarised. They then checked the entire application through to make sure it was acceptable, and we then went to submit it. The whole service cost (I think) 500PHP.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you, but the BI have opened new satellite offices (Santa Rosa Laguna, Rizal and Paranaque City) http://www.gov.ph/news/?i=22565 which might shorten a journey for you if you're in Luzon but outside Manila. The Santa Rosa one is really useful for me.

marcus71
28th October 2008, 13:31
Hi Welsh, that's excellent info, just what I am looking for and an acceptable price, (maybe add 100 for Manila ha ha). I am based in Pasig City so the main office is just fine. Our godfather is the current head of the retiree visa program in PH so if there are slow moments in the process I am confident we can ease it along ;)