PDA

View Full Version : Name change after Marriage in Phils

aposhark
20th October 2008, 21:02
Hi,

This is a question about filling out a Filipino passport.

If a lady's name is Rose Lyn Santos before marriage and she marries Mr. Jones, will her name for the passport be:

(1) Rose Lyn Jones

or

(2) Rose Santos Jones

My wife and I have a bit of confusion about this, I say number 1 is correct but she has been advised by another Filipina that number 2 is correct.

Please advise, thanks :rolleyes:

Alan
20th October 2008, 21:09
Hanna Otom Juano became Hanna Juano Clegg.

Al.:)

vbkelly
20th October 2008, 21:13
actually there's nothing wrong with that its up to you what name you gonna use but i refer this rose lyn santos jones.

vbkelly
20th October 2008, 21:15
me i still using my mum's middle name instead of my maiden name

darren-b
20th October 2008, 21:46
My wife used the 2nd way as well - my understanding is that this is the usual way in the Philippines.

reginacarlson
20th October 2008, 21:50
Number 1 is correct aposhark. The complete name that will be shown on her passport will be:
First Name: ROSE LYN
Middle Name: SANTOS (the maiden name becomes the middle name once married)
Last Name: JONES (husband's surname)

NAMING STRUCTURE IN THE PHILIPPINES:
- The middle name of an individual is typically their mother’s maiden name. Their last name is the father’s surname.
- However, upon marriage, Filipinas take the surname of their husbands, and the surname of their father then moves left to become their middle name. Consequently, the mother’s maiden name is dropped altogether.
- It’s common for Filipinos to use middle initials when writing their names. ROSE LYN SANTOS JONES would thus be ROSE LYN S. JONES
- Many Filipinas also tie their new last names to their new middle names with hyphens. In which case ROSE LYN can write her name as ROSE LYN SANTOS-JONES

darren-b
20th October 2008, 22:02
My wife used the 2nd way as well - my understanding is that this is the usual way in the Philippines.

Assuming that Lyn was her mother's maiden name rather than part of her first name.