PDA

View Full Version : American falls prey to chat room scam

A_flyer
16th August 2006, 12:02
American falls prey to chat room scam

By Michael Punongbayan
The Philippine Star - August 16, 2006

If you’re lucky, online dating can help you find an ideal partner.

But if you’re not careful, you could lose your life savings and fall prey to extortionists and scam artists targeting those in search of affection.

Timothy Devaney, 44, a freelance journalist from San Francisco, California, became one such victim after a 20-year-old Filipina became his online "girlfriend."

He didn’t know he was being duped until he flew to Manila to meet his chatmate, a nursing student from Mandaue City, last month.

After more than six months of exchanging e-mails and indulging in hours of chat, he found out that he may never meet his "girlfriend," with whom he had been sending money from the US through money transfer service.

Devaney, knowing that all he can now do is warn everyone of the cyberscam, went to the Makati City Police Department to tell authorities of his sad love story yesterday.

According to the American, he met Trisha de la Torre at a chatroom in December 2005. The photo of a beautiful Filipina stood out among the others, which led to the start of their online friendship.

They eventually became more than friends and he found out that his chat partner was a nursing student in Mandaue City, Cebu.

Devaney told Makati policemen that he sent her money to buy a cellular phone and other items as well as pay for her tuition. He would often send her $200 or $300 through money transfer.

He claimed to have sent her more than P400,000 during the "relationship."

And after a year and a half of chatting, he decided to meet De la Torre, who agreed to meet him last July 27 in Cebu.

He later found out that the girl of his dreams did not exist.

Devaney, who is now staying in Makati, is preparing to go back to the US.

He told policemen that he realized he was duped when he saw five other names in the chatroom using the same picture of the pretty Filipina.

"I don’t expect to get my money back," Devaney told The Star, adding that he found the same girl in several other Internet dating sites like myspace.com, Filipina Friendfinder and Foreign Bride.

Probers said it would be difficult to determine the crime committed since the scam was committed in cyberspace between the US and Cebu.

"May scam talaga dito. This should serve as a warning," police said as Devaney’s case was placed on official police record.

The American said a person identified as "Badoy Pogi" is responsible for the so-called scam since he has some 200 girls at myspace.com.

"I think he’s running the scam. I think he pays for the photos and makes a bunch of profiles," Devaney said, adding that he searched for Trisha in other sites and found out that she uses the names Janet, Myra and others.

scotsfiancee
16th August 2006, 13:22
I heard this alot of times, but mostly in americans. Feel so sorry bout this and to think of that she's a filipina. This must be another lessons for those who had scammed before! You should know the girl first before you commit in a serious relationship. Actually i've heard that there are some western guys even called an NBI here in PI to clarify the identity of the particular person (they met online), which is they have to make sure everything is fine.

:Erm: :Erm: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A_flyer
16th August 2006, 14:02
Yes I heard this also a lot of time, and mostly with Americans.
Europeans are more clever?:confused: or Filipinas are less interested by Europeans?

scotsfiancee
16th August 2006, 14:48
I supposed to say :D :D

scotsfiancee
16th August 2006, 14:51
Yes I heard this also a lot of time, and mostly with Americans.
Europeans are more clever?:confused: or Filipinas are less interested by Europeans?
Its not that europeans are clever :icon_lol: most of pinay's preferred to go to US:D ( based on what i heard.......)

ginapeterb
17th August 2006, 08:22
This is a common story, its not about who is cleverer than an other, these type of scum bag Filipina's see the kano as money bags joe, and they think that the streets of the U.S. are paved with Gold, unfortunately, this guy should never have been sending that sort of money, without first seeing the girl online through skype or a webcam, if she was using multiple screen names, or its the same photo of a girl, surely the alarm bells would have been going long before he decided to show up in country, I am sorry to say, this is his own fault...most pinay's do prefer U.S. because thats where they think, they will get the best life !, this is of course relative, as some find out...its not what they thought !

I.e. " Oh Do I have to wash dishes ?" " What ironing ? this is a maids job" scrubbing bathroom floor? geeeeeeze I thought you had maid, driver, washer woman...

Then they found out...the big house doesnt exist, the fancy car is a Hyundai, and ...they get left in the house all day while he is out killing himself in 2 jobs...the American dream is a fake.

Sorry Girl..you make your bed...now lie in it !

scotsfiancee
17th August 2006, 08:25
You have a very good point Pete:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
19th September 2006, 12:11
Revenge of the "mail order bride"?:cwm38:

russ01539
20th September 2006, 16:27
the fancy car is a Hyundai,

What's wrong with a Hyundai ?