PDA

View Full Version : Nanny/housekeeper

mother of 3
15th August 2006, 14:36
I have advertised on Gumtree.com and received a reply from a lovely Filipino living in UAE at the moment. But it seems impossible to get a work permit/visa for domestic help. Can anyone advise me on this from their own experience? Is there anyone reading this already in the UK who would like to come and live and work in a nice house in the countryside with a fun young family and help to keep me sane?

KeithD
16th August 2006, 08:49
The UK goverement seems to consider bringing Filipino's for that kind of work as slavery, and with the nes points system coming in next month I think, you can only get nanny's from inside Europe, and European nationals at that probably.

ginapeterb
16th August 2006, 09:09
I think my colleague is right on this one, with the new points system, domestic workers and house helps, including Nanny's will score very low on the points based system,due to be put in place shortly, they will be classfied on scale 5 which is the lowest.

As Keith says, Eastern European Nanny's seem to be the only option, however, my suggestion is this:

Depending on where you live, I suggest you try and attract one of the many undocumented Filipina Nanny's who work in London, and pay her on a cash basis, many of them work this way, ( whilst not condoning illegal undocumented workers in our country) I am just stating the reality of the situation, I know of many Nanny's who work this way in London, but you don't say where you live, Gumtree.com is the best place, and thats where they all look for work, sorry we cant be more helpful.

krizziei
16th August 2006, 21:36
If you can pay about £350-£450 per week net, there are filipino nannies and housekeepers in London who would like to work for you.

KeithD
17th August 2006, 12:04
Blimey!!! :cwm24: I would have thought a bowl of rice was enough :icon_lol:

ginapeterb
17th August 2006, 16:05
If you can pay about £350-£450 per week net, there are filipino nannies and housekeepers in London who would like to work for you.

I see the ususal suspects are coming out of the woodwork, of course they will, they are quiet happy to take cash in hand, so they contribute nothing to our economy, dont pay Income tax or National Insurance, then they end up with more money through doing this than poor women like my wife...and Robs wife, who have to work legally, are in the country legally, and have to contribute to our economy, sometimes, the usual suspects should keep quiet about it....we know it happens,,, just dont flaunt it !!

IVE SAID MY PEICE !!!

krizziei
18th August 2006, 16:05
The Filipinas that I know who are paid these amounts are legal. They are housekeepers who worked for their employers abroad for at least a year until their employers come to the UK to relocate. Their employers do pay for their tax and NIC, as required by law.

Nannies in the UK, whether Filipina or British are paid such- £300-£450 pw, especially in London. I even remember it featured in BBC news that teachers and nurses are becoming attracted to nannying because of the pay.

However, employers prefer Filipinas because they can perform all-around duties- ie looking after the children and housekeeping at the same time. A British nanny, though usually qualified with NNEB or CACHE would not usually do the housekeeping.

Of course, the pay is a lot, considering that you have no overheads. Moreso, such amount will stretch a long way in the Philippines if saved. But it is not an easy job, it requires long hours of domestic duties. Filipina domestics seem always tired in the weekends during their days off.

Needless to say that there are pinay housekeepers who are illegal and contributing nothing to the economy, but let's not forget that there are also the legal ones, who have the same rights as a UK resident.

The bottom line is that like the original post of 'Mother of 3', it seems that there are lots of parents in the Uk who are frustrated because of the lack of good quality childcare provision. Unless you're rich and able to afford a nanny, you're left with the option of Nursery or Childminder. Whilst most Nurseries and Childminders are good, the ratio of carer to child (3:1 if under age 2) is not usually desirable especially to a pinay mother who is used to one-to-one care for her children. Besides, if they're ill then you have to take time-off from work to look after them at home. That's why juggling work and looking after children is very stressful.

I'm a pinay mother of a young toddler myself. I am legal here having come to the UK way back in 1991 as a student and upon graduating became a UK resident. I completely sympathize with the post of 'Mother of 3' and my previous post was not meant to flaunt anything. It was meant to be informative.

But anyway, the good news is that there are options for us mere mortals who cannot afford costly childcare. One is utilizing our 'extended-family-helping-each-other' culture. Many many filipinas have asked for their mother or sister to come over and help. I'm one of them. My mother came for 6 months (which is the max time allowed for a tourist). I'm hoping that she would come again next year, to help keep my sanity intact!

Another option is an au-pair. They don't cost a fortune but bear in mind that they are not employees. She is to be treated a guest and thus provided her own room. She has responsibilities that include babysitting and light housework- this includes cleaning, cooking, and usual domestic chores as long no heavy tasks involved. We had one Slovakian girl who was excellent with our toddler and she was also a great cook.

So to Mother of 3, there is help out there. If you have a spare room, an au-pair can be a good option, if there is no relative around to help. But you have to vouch for her references and really be selective.

I certainly wouldn't be hopeful in being able to employ the Filipina nanny directly from the UAE or Philippines. You would be hindered by UK immigration laws. If you visit ukvisas.gov.uk (I think that's the one, but you can google search UK visas) there is a link there for housekeepers visa and requirements for such.

krizziei
18th August 2006, 16:43
Oh and for the record. I'm not a housekeeper and never worked as one. I also dont have a housekeeper agency, so really I don't know what I'm supposed to be flaunting (smile).

I'm just a young mother with a young child, who, like the original poster of this thread also want a good quality care for my precious child, reclaim my social life, pursue a career, and not have to burn the bank. But as it happens, a lot of women give up their careers and choose to be a full time mom. I'm one of them.

Whilst I love the company of my 2 yr old and seeing him through his development, I sometimes yearn for some 'me- time' . And yes, as I discovered, it is possible to get that. So I think there is hope to desperate housewives or shall I say desperate mums out there, haha.

francesca
18th August 2006, 19:24
I learned that to take a house employee in UK , is 10 to 12£ per hour.
Documented or not.

In France/ Monaco it is 10 to 12 euros/ per hour plus 46% declaration pay to pay employee's insurance, sss, health.

Better do the work urself, if you can.

KeithD
18th August 2006, 20:20
Best thing to do is not have children you don't have time to look after :xxparty-smiley-004: :rolleyes:

krizziei
20th August 2006, 09:50
Best thing to do is not have children you don't have time to look after :xxparty-smiley-004: :rolleyes:

If people have the above mentality, I hate to think what the future holds.

Children are the future. Needless to say, happy and confident kids are better placed to be successful in later life.

In my opinion, there is no better carer for children but their mom (or dad). But a mother who says she can look after her children 24/7 for 365 days a year with no help from anyone, and has no problem about it, is lying. Mothers do need time for themselves now and again. It is not just for their benefit that their batteries are recharged with rest, it is also in the children's interest to have a mom who is rested and not stressed.

But if a mother chooses to go back to work. Surely, that does not make her a bad mom. She just needs to look for suitable good quality child care, and in the weekends give as much time as she can for her kids. She is lucky if she can get Working Tax credit and Child tax benefit. But there are UK- resident mothers who are not eligible for these government hand-outs (and are not rich). Well, that's C'est la vie. For these mothers, it only becomes wothwhile to go back to work if she earns at least twice the cost of a nanny. If not then it is better to stay at home and be a full time mom, and just find ways to have help from time to time.

IMONNA
20th August 2006, 17:59

:gp: But then you're going to miss out the joys of being parents:D

KeithD
20th August 2006, 18:49
:gp: But then you're going to miss out the joys of being parents:D

My lads 16 and I'm still trying to find out which day of those years was actually the 'joy' one :Brick:

baboyako
29th August 2006, 18:55
i am paying for a housekeeper in davao. she gets 2,000pesos (20quid) a month + as much rice as she can eat.

i get the impression she'd be happy enough with just the rice

KeithD
29th August 2006, 19:19
i am paying for a housekeeper in davao. she gets 2,000pesos (20quid) a month + as much rice as she can eat.

i get the impression she'd be happy enough with just the rice

In that case cut her wages :D :icon_lol:

baboyako
29th August 2006, 19:38
any spare money I take off her in a few tongits games.. haha

conjoe62
3rd October 2006, 14:14
I have advertised on Gumtree.com and received a reply from a lovely Filipino living in UAE at the moment. But it seems impossible to get a work permit/visa for domestic help. Can anyone advise me on this from their own experience? Is there anyone reading this already in the UK who would like to come and live and work in a nice house in the countryside with a fun young family and help to keep me sane?

HI IM INTERESTED TO YOUR OFFER BEING A NANNY,IM HERE IN ENGLAND AS A TOURIST VISA.....IF YOU CAN GET ME A WORKING PERMIT IM WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU......ANY WAY I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MY SELF IM 31 YEARS OLD I HAVE 5 CHILDREN SEPARATED FROM MY PARTNER.......IM REALLY DESPERATE TO HAVE A WORK AND LIVE ANYWHERE HERE IN UK.......THANKS