PDA

View Full Version : Passport Renewal For Marriage Visa

russ01539
13th August 2006, 16:34
We are getting married next Saturday at Kendal Registry Office in Kendal. As part of our preparation to upgrade Wena's visa from 6 month fiancee to 2 year marriage visa something crossed my mind.

Do we change the name on Wena's passport from her maiden name to her maried name. If we do this after the visa is issued the visa cannot be used in the new passport ! (As explained by my solicitor)

Are there any benefits to Wena changing her name in her passport, if so what are they, and when would you suggest we do change it, if at all. Obviously when Wena gets her visa she will be allowed to work, but to register for a NI number etc. she will need identification, and problems could arise if the name she gives (her married name) is not the same as her name in her passport !

Please advise.

My solicitor seemed to think it is best to wait and change the name in the passport about 1 to months before we apply for her permanent leave to remain visa is issued.

A_flyer
13th August 2006, 18:06
To be able to amend her Filipino passport, you must first report the marriage to the Philippines Embassy for it to be recorded in NSO database in the Philippines.

Infos are here: http://www.philemb.org.uk/passport.html

Here is the extract:

PASSPORT AMENDMENT
The following are the requirements for passport amendments:
Applicant's valid passport
Completed Passport Amendement Form (see Forms (http://www.philemb.org.uk/forum/forms.html))
Completed Passport Application Form (see Forms (http://www.philemb.org.uk/forum/forms.html)) if applying for a new passport with amendment of name
The original and three (3) photocopies of marriage certificate
Three (3) photocopies of husband's valid passport or birth certificate
Three (3) photocopies of the data page of applicant's passport
Three (3) completed Report of Marriage Form (see Forms (http://www.philemb.org.uk/forum/forms.html)) which are available at the Embassy and at the Embassy website. If the marriage had been solemnized for more than a year, there is an additional fee of £18 for late registration
Three (3) passport size photos of spouse, taken within the last 6 months
Six (6) passport size photos of applicant, taken within the last 6 months
f you are applying for a new passport with amendment of name, the fee is £36.00 for a 32-page passport and £43 for a 64-page passport plus £18 for the report of marriage
f you are applying for an amendment on your current passport the fee is £15 plus £18 for the report of marriageIn our case, we prefer to amend the passport during our next vacation in the Philippines, it's less costly (P100 within the Philippines! £36 in UK:yikes:). Only the marriage report must be done at the Philipinnes Embassy of your residence country (Abroad marriage report can't be done from the Philippines, it must go thru the relevant Philippines Embassy). Just be careful that the transcription of the abroad marriage to the NSO thru an Embassy take several months. And to amend the passport within the Philippines, you will need the NSO marriage certificate.

russ01539
31st August 2006, 23:35
If you live in France how do you know so much about this UK visa things ? And as you seem knowledgeable about these things, whats the procedure to get a visa to go to Paris this Xmas? I thought I would surprise my wife.

PS. We followed all your instructions and decided to get her name changed and marriage registered today. Thanks so much for your help on the matter.

A_flyer
1st September 2006, 06:59
If you live in France how do you know so much about this UK visa things ?
Being European Moderator 3 years at Asawa forum makes me know a lot of things, anyway this is easy to find at the UK Philippines Embassy website.

And as you seem knowledgeable about these things, whats the procedure to get a visa to go to Paris this Xmas?
If you're married together and already settle in UK (for her), it will be possible quite easily (I say quite, as I know our Embassies... are difficult!).
You have 2 threads on this in the Word immigration section.

mupsuit
1st September 2006, 07:50
Being European Moderator 3 years at Asawa forum makes me know a lot of things, anyway this is easy to find at the UK Philippines Embassy website.

and an Excellent Moderator also - 'a-flyer' is too modest to mention that... I read many of his contributions on Asawa ! Great to have him here on this forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mupsuit
1st September 2006, 08:06
We are getting married next Saturday at Kendal Registry Office in Kendal.

Do we change the name on Wena's passport from her maiden name to her maried name.

My wife arrived in the UK on her passport which shows her maiden name - at that point we already had the NSO marriage certificate as this was needed for the spouse visa application

Now after 30 months she has not changed her passport, as 'a-flyer' suggests we will do that later when in Manila. We have twice been to Europe for holidays using her existing passport

In the UK there is no legal reason for your wife to change her passport, however for all round convenience you should establish her identify as
Mrs Russ by some of the following steps

joint bank account, utility bills and similar - so you have statements showing both names

register at the doctors under her married name - you then have a medical card with Mrs Russ showing your home address

If she finds a job without difficulty then your NI card will readily follow, if on the other hand she has not found a job, (and has letters saying 'unsuccessful application' ) and you wish to apply for the NI number the above documents will facilitate your application

I think the having NI number is a key element when she applies for ILR in two years time ..

All the best to you both for Saturday

Eljohno
1st September 2006, 12:19
Mupsuit,

what embassy did you go to for the visa that allowed you to go on a holiday in Europe?

John

A_flyer
1st September 2006, 12:45
what embassy did you go to for the visa that allowed you to go on a holiday in Europe?
Here are the Schengen visa rules for "where do you apply":

All depends on the place(s) you want to visit.

- If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country. You apply at the Embassy or Consulate responsible for the state where you live.

- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

mupsuit
1st September 2006, 15:37
Mupsuit,

John

We applied to the French Embassy in Edinburgh - found them most helpful - France was our major destination - we made side trips into Spain and Italy - no one at the Spanish / Italian or French borders on our return asked to see the passports -

Eljohno
1st September 2006, 15:39
Thanks for the replys guys, i will not go of topic any longer so will check the section where some of these questions might have been answered already...

A_flyer
2nd September 2006, 03:17
We applied to the French Embassy in Edinburgh
I don't want any problems with the Scottish, but the UK French Embassy is in London.
We have only a Consulate General in Edinburgh (which cover all Scotland). The second Consulate General is in London (at a distinct loctation from the Embassy) and it covers England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Consulate General is where you have to apply for visas.

Eljohno
2nd September 2006, 09:34
I don't want any problems with the Scottish, but the UK French Embassy is in London.
We have only a Consulate General in Edinburgh (which cover all Scotland). The second Consulate General is in London (at a distinct loctation from the Embassy) and it covers England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Consulate General is where you have to apply for visas.

Can visa be sorted out by post and phone or would i need to go there in person? I mean of course the Spanish embassy in London as i am not sure i would have the time to go.:Erm:

A_flyer
2nd September 2006, 09:43
Can visa be sorted out by post and phone or would i need to go there in person? I mean of course the Spanish embassy in London as i am not sure i would have the time to go.:Erm:
Yes you need to go there to apply and be careful it tooks 3 weeks for processing from the time you submitted all the valid papers they required and you paid their visa fee (supposing it's for someone holdng a Filipino citizenship).

Read the infos here: http://spain.embassyhomepage.com/spanish_visa_spain_embassy_uk_spanish_embassy_london_uk.htm

andypaul
2nd September 2006, 18:55

Robs the man in the know on the Spanish embassy and i think Rob and his Wife went to Manchester for their Interview which may or maynot be better to get to and from Northern ireland.

walesrob
2nd September 2006, 21:04
Robs the man in the know on the Spanish embassy and i think Rob and his Wife went to Manchester for their Interview which may or maynot be better to get to and from Northern ireland.

We've already covered this in detail:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=734&highlight=Schengen

Also check here for updated info:

http://spain.embassyhomepage.com/

Not sure if theres a Spanish Consulate in NI, if not, you will need to apply to Manchester. Its a painless process, but they do state that because the Philippines is a Visa state, it takes approx. 3 weeks to issue the visa. They also advise NOT to book any flights until the interview.