PDA

View Full Version : Rice cookers! Are you kidding me?

Piamed
10th October 2008, 12:19
Are Pia and I the only ones having difficulties with rice cookers?

Before leaving da phils and in anticipation of significant rice consumption when together here, Pia and i bought a rice cooker. It was reportedly the best brand available. Can't recall what it was. Anyway, it burned rice on the 3/4 occasions we used it, then it decided it would not work anymore. Great!!!!

We then bought a Breville rice cooker in Currys and the end of August. It also burned the rice a bit and would usually undercook the rice. Last night the aluminium ring under the actual rice pot, melted shortly after we started it giving off incredibly toxic fumes.

What is going on? Help!

aromulus
10th October 2008, 12:51

Before leaving da phils and in anticipation of significant rice consumption when together here, Pia and i bought a rice cooker. It was reportedly the best brand available. Can't recall what it was. Anyway, it burned rice on the 3/4 occasions we used it, then it decided it would not work anymore. Great!!!!

We then bought a Breville rice cooker in Currys and the end of August. It also burned the rice a bit and would usually undercook the rice. Last night the aluminium ring under the actual rice pot, melted shortly after we started it giving off incredibly toxic fumes.

What is going on? Help!

You been buying overpriced duff stuff.......:NoNo:

A week after Jet arrived, in Septenber 2007, we went to Lidl, and we purchased an Italian made rice cooker.
It was just about short of a tenner, and it has been working very well since. :)
Not a burnt grain of rice anywhere....:xxgrinning--00xx3:
It can also be used as a steamer and Jet, more often than not, makes the most wonderful Leche Flan.....:rolleyes:

maria_and_matt
10th October 2008, 13:27
rice cookers here are not very good, my rice cooker i got in the philippines changed the plug its already 7 yrs old it still works well. buy pinoy:icon_lol:joke

ginapeterb
10th October 2008, 18:27
Hello mate, we have the Breville one from Curry's Argos etc, just take it back and get another one, we have had no trouble with that one, its the really good one, and we have had it for about 2 years, no problems.

kimmi
10th October 2008, 18:31
we dont have a rice cooker here but so far we manage to cook rice with no problems..:)

andypaul
10th October 2008, 19:05
We got one from Argos we use it for rice pasta and Steaming vegatables.

For some reason the cheaper the better seems to be best for this product

Ann07
10th October 2008, 19:15

For some reason the cheaper the better seems to be best for this product

same here amigo:)how are n and pia?

hope pia is doing well:) miss talking to her, will catch up sometimes:)

cheers
ann

Piamed
11th October 2008, 10:54
You been buying overpriced duff stuff.......:NoNo:

A week after Jet arrived, in Septenber 2007, we went to Lidl, and we purchased an Italian made rice cooker.
It was just about short of a tenner, and it has been working very well since. :)
Not a burnt grain of rice anywhere....:xxgrinning--00xx3:
It can also be used as a steamer and Jet, more often than not, makes the most wonderful Leche Flan.....:rolleyes:You are right Dom, although the one bought is da Phils cost about £11 and the one here £24:99. I will take this one back today and see what happens.

rice cookers here are not very good, my rice cooker i got in the philippines changed the plug its already 7 yrs old it still works well. buy pinoy:icon_lol:jokeYou, i think you may be right. Hmmn!

Hello mate, we have the Breville one from Curry's Argos etc, just take it back and get another one, we have had no trouble with that one, its the really good one, and we have had it for about 2 years, no problems.Thanks mate. I will see what happens. Unfortunately, we cannot find the actual receipt although I have an entry on my bank statement which I will take along.

we dont have a rice cooker here but so far we manage to cook rice with no problems..:)True! I always cooked rice that way and had no probs. Just thought it might be easier as I expected to be consuming gigantic portions of rice but that has not panned out that way. We eat as much rice as I did on my own before Pia came.

Pia cooked rice in a pot yesterday and it was the best we've had since she came here. Hmmn!

For some reason the cheaper the better seems to be best for this productIf for some reason we get a refund from Currys. We'll give that a go mate!

same here amigo:)how are n and pia?

hope pia is doing well:) miss talking to her, will catch up sometimes:)

cheers
annHi amiga. Muzta? How is that cute baby of yours? Pia and I were talking about you with Elenea a few days ago. We will call you soon. We hope to drive up to Scottie soon and seee you Kimmi, Islander, etc. Unfortunately though Pia does not travel well. She wa the same on the Bachelor Express in Mindanao. She hates the smell of our new car! I will buy her a tricycle or a side car we can attach to the bigger one so she does not have that problem. :icon_lol:

vbkelly
11th October 2008, 11:07
i bought a cheapy rice cooker in wilkinson so far i dont have a problem in it.

PeterB
11th October 2008, 17:36
She wa the same on the Bachelor Express in Mindanao. She hates the smell of our new car!
Riding on the Bachelor Express, or the Metro Shuttle, is enough to make anyone feel ill!

Piamed
11th October 2008, 18:52
i bought a cheapy rice cooker in wilkinson so far i dont have a problem in it.Cool! I got areplacement today ad it worked really well. I made some nice rice to go with my beef with bamboo shoots. It was so spicy but masarap.

Riding on the Bachelor Express, or the Metro Shuttle, is enough to make anyone feel ill!Got a point mate! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

eljean
12th October 2008, 08:33
my friend here bought me a rice cooker from argos and its only 19.99 its http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=RICE+COOKER&Submit=GO+%3E:xxgrinning--00xx3: it cooks the rice perfect!

johncar54
12th October 2008, 10:17
We cook rice every day. Rice cooker, never, we use a heavy based saucepan.

We use basmati rice, 4 measures of rice, rinsed, add 6 measures of water, add salt, bring to boil stir, cover and simmer as slowly as possible. When all water has evaporated, allow to stand for 5 mins. Result fluffy. perfect rice.

Sorry, I know this will be basic to most people, but when we maried my pinay wife could not cook even rice, now she make it perfectly every time.

andypaul
12th October 2008, 11:05
my friend here bought me a rice cooker from argos and its only 19.99 its http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=RICE+COOKER&Submit=GO+%3E:xxgrinning--00xx3: it cooks the rice perfect!

We got the Breville one. I just hope the missus doesn't see the tefal one she loves her tefal pans she got from argos in sale. 55 quid for a rice cooker:omg:

I just noticed we may have the same one as Piamed. Sir take it back and make a fuss for the first six months sales of goods act says the shop has to prove it was not a inherent fault. So they should give you a replacment or a full refund.

Dont let them get away with it for the league of rice cookers or LORC as we are known sake. No way should it have done what you have described, I would be making serious complaints as thats a potential fire risk:NoNo:
Im sure you know dont let them blame it on the makers the shop is responsible. They can take it up with the maker not you.

All i can say is thank God/lab techncian your both ok.

Gavanddal
12th October 2008, 21:16
The trick with our rice cooker seems to be..

1. Use extra water

2. Switch off at the wall as soon as it switches from "cook" to "warm".

I still reckon that a saucepan is easier!

andypaul
12th October 2008, 21:48

1. Use extra water

Or ring up the Chinese takeaway:D

aug06_2006
13th October 2008, 14:26
My first 2 days since i arrived here am requested to my hubby to buy a rice cooker and then he bought it from argos...as of now no probs hehe!

keithAngel
13th October 2008, 14:28
Syncronicity I used a rice cooker in the new house today for the first time and i wasnt impressed Im going to get my honey to show me and if its still a sticky glue im going back to my trusty good pot and tight fitting lid version :xxgrinning--00xx3:

5olidsnake
13th October 2008, 18:17

1. Use extra water

:xxgrinning--00xx3:use more water (says 1 to 1, i put maybe 2 1/2 or 3 to 1 and turn off when it flicks to warm (never used that)
we have the breville RC3, used daily(still going strong 14 month later)

andypaul
13th October 2008, 18:35
Syncronicity I used a rice cooker in the new house today for the first time and i wasnt impressed Im going to get my honey to show me and if its still a sticky glue im going back to my trusty good pot and tight fitting lid version :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The water and rice ratio as you can imagine is very important.

We mere Whiteys will never be able to grasp it:D

The Wife and the ladies of her family can make various textures of rice it seems with just the ratio.

From just hearing me loading the rice cooker from the next room she says oh that will be to sticky or what have you:Erm::rolleyes:

Ping
13th October 2008, 20:20
Mostly when you cook the rice in the rice cooker the ratio is one is to one but sometimes it depends whats the variety of the rice.Some variety needs one is to one and a half.

keithAngel
14th October 2008, 00:52
Mostly when you cook the rice in the rice cooker the ratio is one is to one but sometimes it depends whats the variety of the rice.Some variety needs one is to one and a half.

Pan-Pan Jasmine ??:Erm:

sneaker23
14th October 2008, 01:15
quite interesting about rice cookers..... never had a problem like that before

Le'em
14th October 2008, 12:59

What is going on? Help!

so far the rice cooker here that we bought 3 months ago was perfect....well it has booklet upon purchase how to use the rice cooker but i ignore it, i still use the phil version of using the rice cooker, the first time i used it i burned the rice coz i was not used to cook rice...i phoned my aunties how to use it, they say ignore the booklet which says prepare the rice at 1:1....heheheh it wont work...so now my husband and i are enjoying the rice every meal and its perfectly cooked now....

thanks to my lifeline about how to use the rice cooker, i bet ur wife knows how to use the fingers in measuring the rice....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers

alicat
14th October 2008, 13:16
i dont have a rice cooker here,but so far i manage to cook
rice with no problems..i always used basmati rice.

Les_lady888
14th October 2008, 14:42
Riding on the Bachelor Express, or the Metro Shuttle, is enough to make anyone feel ill!

LOL funny you say that :icon_lol: You should have ridden on an air-con bus...It will smell a "little" better :D

Gavanddal
14th October 2008, 17:56
For those who don't know, we have discovered a wonderful alternative to rice for breakfast dinner and tea.

They're called POTATOES and they can be served in little fried strips called "chips" or just boiled or even boiled then broken up into "mash".

They don't even need special cookers. They're wonderful! :D:D:D

Le'em
14th October 2008, 20:16
For those who don't know, we have discovered a wonderful alternative to rice for breakfast dinner and tea.

They're called POTATOES and they can be served in little fried strips called "chips" or just boiled or even boiled then broken up into "mash".

They don't even need special cookers. They're wonderful! :D:D:D

hello yeah, mash potato, thats what British people used to serves as their rice..enjoy

fred
15th October 2008, 04:07
We always cooked our rice in the microwave. Always came out perfect in around 20 minutes.
Over here its even easier..The cook cooks it.

keithAngel
15th October 2008, 06:21
We always cooked our rice in the microwave. Always came out perfect in around 20 minutes.
Over here its even easier..The cook cooks it.

Thats given me a great idea Fred thanks more later................:D

fred
17th October 2008, 11:20
Thats given me a great idea Fred thanks more later................:D

You need a microwaveable pot and then fill about 50% of it with rice.. Put water in till it covers the rice by about an inch..Then wack it in the microwave on full power for around 20 minutes..
Keep an eye on it after about 15 mins as I have discovered that some machines are more powerful than others and tend to cook faster etc..

nethlewy
19th October 2008, 10:12

According to the link this rice cooker is now at half-price, £9.99.

I have no connection to Argos or any rice cooker manufacturer.

flomike
23rd October 2008, 22:41
what a credit crunch:NoNo: firstly its our telly just broken now its our rice cooker too!!! Though its been used for nearly 5 years (a gift on our wedding by my husband's office mate)

so im back to basic using a pot and my fingers to measure the water to put on and its working fine by my husband amusement:Erm:

wrigglybum
10th November 2008, 15:29
i was reading this thread and it made me laugh remembering my hubby the first time i arrive here in england, typical guy hate shopping. went to shop a rice cooker after work to surprice me.. grab a slow cooker thinking its a rice cooker:Erm:(he dont even notice wot he got) come home happy. cook rice after an hour complaining..honey, the rice not even boiling......:icon_lol:

aromulus
10th November 2008, 15:37
They all the same those brits.....:doh

Get them a bag of greasy chips and a warmed up meat and potato pie, and they think they got a gourmet meal.....:Erm:

Piamed
10th November 2008, 15:54
i was reading this thread and it made me laugh remembering my hubby the first time i arrive here in england, typical guy hate shopping. went to shop a rice cooker after work to surprice me.. grab a slow cooker thinking its a rice cooker:Erm:(he dont even notice wot he got) come home happy. cook rice after an hour complaining..honey, the rice not even boiling......:icon_lol:Haha! They look the same. :icon_lol:

They all the same those brits.....:doh

Get them a bag of greasy chips and a warmed up meat and potato pie, and they think they got a gourmet meal.....:Erm:How i love that sometimes. Yummy!

wrigglybum
10th November 2008, 16:22
LOL Piamed...:icon_lol: