PDA

View Full Version : balikbayan visa

Ecxy
12th August 2006, 07:11
really been confuse whats going on..please if anyone know kindly post some details..we are just been came back from Hongkong to claim a year balikbayan visa but we didnt grant us by the manila the immigration says we cant and as i must possess a british passport? what they means...
i tought it is a privilage given to filfina wife to got that balikbayan visa for my hussband who is a britsh citizen..please enlightbe us what toi do..rerally need an advice

tetla
12th August 2006, 09:27
hi
sorry but didnt really get what you mean? have you been living in HK? or just for a holiday?

in my case, i got a balikbayan stamp on my passport straight away when i passed the immigration officer, you just present both your passports together with your marriage certificate...and then your husband is allowed to stay for a year in the Phils for free no more need of extension....

walesrob
12th August 2006, 09:31
really been confuse whats going on..please if anyone know kindly post some details..we are just been came back from Hongkong to claim a year balikbayan visa but we didnt grant us by the manila the immigration says we cant and as i must possess a british passport? what they means...
i tought it is a privilage given to filfina wife to got that balikbayan visa for my hussband who is a britsh citizen..please enlightbe us what toi do..rerally need an advice

Um, ok this looks very confusing...did Gary get the Visa or not? Remember the Visa is only for HIM, as he is Spouse of Filipino national. All he has to do is show his passport, as I explained to you before. The Visa is NOT for you, as you are already a Filipino national.

You need to explain to the Officer that you are both married and that Gary has the RIGHT as a spouse of a Filipino citizen to a Balibayan Visa. If they still give you problems, ask to speak to a Senior Immigration Officer.

Ecxy
12th August 2006, 10:01
Um, ok this looks very confusing...did Gary get the Visa or not? Remember the Visa is only for HIM, as he is Spouse of Filipino national. All he has to do is show his passport, as I explained to you before. The Visa is NOT for you, as you are already a Filipino national.

You need to explain to the Officer that you are both married and that Gary has the RIGHT as a spouse of a Filipino citizen to a Balibayan Visa. If they still give you problems, ask to speak to a Senior Immigration Officer.
the sad part is that no he doest get the balikbayan visa..yes i u know and understod that the visa is just intended for him as my husband..and we back here together here in Phillipines..to claim that balikbayan visa
is there other way what we can do for this problem to claim this a year balkbayan visa as i undestood really we got fooled by this immigration officer in Manila..please help..us

Ecxy
12th August 2006, 10:04
hi
sorry but didnt really get what you mean? have you been living in HK? or just for a holiday?

in my case, i got a balikbayan stamp on my passport straight away when i passed the immigration officer, you just present both your passports together with your marriage certificate...and then your husband is allowed to stay for a year in the Phils for free no more need of extension....
im just there i hk for holiday and so me and my husband could go back together here in PH and he can claim that balikbayan visa..but his immgration i think fooled us..please help what we can do..

A_flyer
12th August 2006, 12:26
the sad part is that no he doest get the balikbayan visa..yes i u know and understod that the visa is just intended for him as my husband..and we back here together here in Phillipines..to claim that balikbayan visa
is there other way what we can do for this problem to claim this a year balkbayan visa as i undestood really we got fooled by this immigration officer in Manila..please help..us
For getting it, you need to enter both the Philippines and provide your both passport and marriage contract (the best is a NSO SEPCA copy). If you have a problem with the Immigration Officer, ask to see the Immigration Duty Supervisor.

As said, this visa is for the Foreign Spouse not holding a Filipino citizenship (or kids who do not have a Filipino citizenship).

Here are the official infos on the Balikbayan visa (extracted from a Philippines Embassy web site):

Consular Information Bulletin on the New Balikbayan Visa Privilege

1. What is the Balikbayan Visa Privilege? (http://filipinaroses.com/#No%20visa)
2. Who may avail of the Balikbayan Visa Privilege? (http://filipinaroses.com/#The%20balikbayan)
3. What are the conditions to avail of the Balikbayan Visa Privilege? (http://filipinaroses.com/#The%20balikbayan)
4. What steps should be followed to avail of the Balikbayan Visa Privilege? (http://filipinaroses.com/#The%20former)
5. What documentation are required to enter the Philippines under the Balikbayan Visa Privilege?

- for former Philippine citizens (http://filipinaroses.com/#The%20former)
- for the foreign spouse and foreign minor unmarried children (http://filipinaroses.com/#The%20accompanying)

No visa shall be required for a maximum stay of one (1) year for the following Balikbayans, every time they enter the Philippines to visit, regardless of the frequency of their travel:

1. Former Philippine citizens (including Filipinos who have become naturalized U.S. citizens, and citizens of the Bahamas, Bermuda and other countries within the jurisdiction of the Embassy of Washington, D.C.);
2. Foreign spouses and minor foreign unmarried children of Filipinos and former Filipino citizens.

The balikbayan privilege is extended to former Philippine citizens, the foreign spouse and the foreign minor unmarried children of Philippine citizens, provided that:

1. they are nationals of Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Norway, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela, or Vietnam; and
2. they are traveling together to the Philippines with the balikbayan spouse.

The former Philippine citizen shall declare before a Philippine Immigration Officer at the port of entry that he/she is availing of the balikbayan privilege and shall present his/her valid passport in addition to any of the following documents:

1. cancelled Philippine passport;
2. birth certificate; 3. naturalization papers to show former Philippine citizenship; or
4. certification from the adopted country.

The accompanying foreign spouse and foreign minor unmarried children of Filipinos and former Filipino citizens shall declare before a Philippine Immigration Officer at the port of entry that he/she is accompanied by a Filipino or former Filipino spouse or parent and that he/she is availing of the balikbayan privilege, and shall present his/her valid passport in addition to the following:

1. Foreign spouse: Valid passport and Marriage certificate
2. Foreign Minor unmarried children: Birth certificate
3. Adopted children: Adoption papers

walesrob
12th August 2006, 13:03
We've already covered this topic elsewhere on the forum:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=898&highlight=balikbayan

So I'm going to close this thread at the risk of repeating information again.

Ecxy, next time you both pass through Immigration, make sure you have your wedding certificate and passport, and you must be together when you approach the immigration officer, and as Yves says, speak to a senior immigration officer if there is any problem. There is nothing more we can advise.