PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Brand

amyburple
8th October 2008, 18:03
Ummmm I'm using laptop for almost 2 years now, it's not a branded one but it's really useful for me and for my hubby. Now I want to give it to my brother and I will buy new one... I'm thinking to buy ACER SOON and bring it over there... And my hubby is disagreeing that I cannot bring it over the plane in flying there in the future because he said the security is strick bla bla bla which I think it's not... :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: and he said I cannot use the loptop that I bought here and then I will use there :doh:doh:doh He is not really techy person...

I'm confuse now, I want to buy new one this coming December, God willing :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:... What do you think ACER is GOOD? Can I use the LAPTOP that I will buy here and thn bring over there?

maria_and_matt
8th October 2008, 18:05
yes u can use it here, i have never owned an acer laptop but my sister in law back home has one and she seem happy with it. u can use ur laptop on the plane too, we did :)

amyburple
8th October 2008, 18:12
yes u can use it here, i have never owned an acer laptop but my sister in law back home has one and she seem happy with it. u can use ur laptop on the plane too, we did :)

ohh cool...I'm planning to buy ACER it's not that expensive hehehehe! Seee I knew it that I can use laptop on the plane hmmm just my hubby is not tht techy hayyy :NoNo::NoNo: hehehe but I love him to bits hehehe... thanks for the tips Maria.. what laptop your using right now?

maria_and_matt
8th October 2008, 18:15
im using dell, but my hubby got my son a mac he is into designing, and he seem to love his mac.
how much is you acer sis, maybe u can get one cheaper here, its always on offer here na:icon_lol:

amyburple
8th October 2008, 18:20
im using dell, but my hubby got my son a mac he is into designing, and he seem to love his mac.
how much is you acer sis, maybe u can get one cheaper here, its always on offer here na:icon_lol:

ohhh same with my hubby he is using dell too...ummm MAC is my dream one hehehe..the ACER here it will cost from 30k above here --- I'm looking the TESCO site now found some...

maria_and_matt
8th October 2008, 18:22
try comparing prices before you buy, try the dell website too. happy shopping!

amyburple
8th October 2008, 18:30
try comparing prices before you buy, try the dell website too. happy shopping!

Ok sis.. I want to get a good buys.. thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
8th October 2008, 18:38
Ok sis.. I want to get a good buys.. thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I would not touch Acer witha bargepole.:omg:

Toshiba satellite series........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
8th October 2008, 18:45

awww why MOD??? Any downside please? :Erm::Erm: I'm looking now also the Toshiba website now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
8th October 2008, 19:16
awww why MOD??? Any downside please? :Erm::Erm: I'm looking now also the Toshiba website now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Acer...... Advent...... E-Machines........:omg:

Too much own software installed....:NoNo:

I rather have an Acorn Electron than them....:icon_lol:

amyburple
8th October 2008, 19:20
Acer...... Advent...... E-Machines........:omg:

Too much own software installed....:NoNo:

I rather have an Acorn Electron than them....:icon_lol:

Ok thanks for the tips.. i will scout TOSHIBA :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

doonat
8th October 2008, 19:45
acer, compaq = :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: not satisfied with the performance and design.

i'm using toshiba satelite right now. some good brands i've tried include sony, mac, hp pavillion, dell :xxgrinning--00xx3:

just a tip: if you plan to get a mobile phone line (minimum 18 months contract to 24 mos.) here in uk you can avail of free items like laptop, PS3, nintendo wii, xbox 360, lcd tv, etc..... saves you money and you even got a new phone :icon_lol:

KeithD
8th October 2008, 19:59
Write a list of what you want....then when you have a list of laptops that have that.....list them as processor, ram, graphics, screen, etc....and compare them. Buy the best that fits, not the cheapest.

andypaul
8th October 2008, 20:04
Good point to bring up about prebundled PCs

Our company uses Dell but wipes them clean and then starts again.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Starting_With_A_Clean_Machine

Go and use the laptops your about to buy.

never understood why people buy a device which they have never try which can if you use a great deal affect your health (eyes, back, wrists)

Make a list of what YOU want from the Laptop.

Read loads of reviews from real people. Be careful about reading reviews on the Internet many independent blogs and the likes are treated very well by firms.

worth checking out if the warrenty is important how the company is doing is it likely to be here in 22 months when you need to make a claim?

Also if you buy in Phill and bring to the UK for example make sure its a worldwide warrenty. I think Acers is as is tosh as are many of the big firms but do check.

Also noticed Phil is a dumping ground for some PC and electronics companies. So be careful what exact model your getting read reviews for that exact model. one letter added or taen off the name can make a big difference.

Never stop your self buying a laptop due to the software loaded on if the Hardware is top rate.

Make sure the laptop is expandable, can more memory be added? can the hard disk be changed easily. Also what connectors does it have is it future proof?

Many people i know of a techy nature by a Laptop subsidised by junk ware loaded on and wipe the hard disk and load on a COpy of XP they have even if you buy a oem copy (most pc shops will sell it to you if you buy a a pc part)

So what do you intend to use the laptop for?

Office type applications, browsing, graphics, games, im?

One last thing i would add.

Although spending money can normally equate to a better laptop sometimes its better to buy what you need if its not a major priority.

Many people i know have a cheap laptop which they change regularly every two years say.

why spend a thousand pounds if you use now and then and could have 5 different laptops for the next ten years for 200?

andypaul
8th October 2008, 20:07
acer, compaq = :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: not satisfied with the performance and design.

i'm using toshiba satelite right now. some good brands i've tried include sony, mac, hp pavillion, dell :xxgrinning--00xx3:

just a tip: if you plan to get a mobile phone line (minimum 18 months contract to 24 mos.) here in uk you can avail of free items like laptop, PS3, nintendo wii, xbox 360, lcd tv, etc..... saves you money and you even got a new phone :icon_lol:

Be careful of those deals the Wife was tempted when i did the maths for the difference in a decent contract for your phone (and a better phone) you could sometimes buy a better laptop etc with the savings.

All the calcualtions i did were in the last month or so.

aromulus
9th October 2008, 08:33
Be careful of those deals the Wife was tempted when i did the maths for the difference in a decent contract for your phone (and a better phone) you could sometimes buy a better laptop etc with the savings.

All the calcualtions i did were in the last month or so.

I recently switched broadband providers from BT (crap) to AOL (excellent so far) through a Carphone warehouse deal.
18 months contract with a Free-ish (70 odd quid extra) Toshiba Satellite 149-300 laptop thrown in.
I cannot grumble really, the lappie is absolutely superb, and more than what I really need in terms of RAM and HDD capacity. With Vista Premium installed it is a real gem.
There were a couple of Acer lappies on offer for free, but I declined, and happily paid the extra for something worth its salt.
I did make some sums before signing on the dotted line, and all in all, even with the extra charge, I was well up, compared to my previous BB provider.
Even my techy sons are impressed with it...:D

maria_and_matt
9th October 2008, 08:52
I recently switched broadband providers from BT (crap) to AOL (excellent so far) through a Carphone warehouse deal.
18 months contract with a Free-ish (70 odd quid extra) Toshiba Satellite 149-300 laptop thrown in.
I cannot grumble really, the lappie is absolutely superb, and more than what I really need in terms of RAM and HDD capacity. With Vista Premium installed it is a real gem.
There were a couple of Acer lappies on offer for free, but I declined, and happily paid the extra for something worth its salt.
I did make some sums before signing on the dotted line, and all in all, even with the extra charge, I was well up, compared to my previous BB provider.

hmm what was wrong with bt?

KeithD
9th October 2008, 08:58
I've never had a problem with BT, but then I'm on the business 8MB account, and can download as much as I like :D .......should have the entire Internet downloaded by 4067 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
9th October 2008, 09:24
Ummmm I'm using laptop for almost 2 years now, it's not a branded one but it's really useful for me and for my hubby. Now I want to give it to my brother and I will buy new one... I'm thinking to buy ACER SOON and bring it over there... And my hubby is disagreeing that I cannot bring it over the plane in flying there in the future because he said the security is strick bla bla bla which I think it's not... :NoNo::NoNo::NoNo: and he said I cannot use the loptop that I bought here and then I will use there :doh:doh:doh He is not really techy person...

I'm confuse now, I want to buy new one this coming December, God willing :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:... What do you think ACER is GOOD? Can I use the LAPTOP that I will buy here and thn bring over there?

sis if were you don't buy laptop in the philippines, loads of branded laptop here and cheaper than in PI

aromulus
9th October 2008, 09:41
hmm what was wrong with bt?

I was talked by a salesman to switch from BT Yahoo to Bt Broadband, unlimited download, up to 8meg speed, cheaper, better, wifi phone thrown in, blah, blah....
Within 3 months the speed was reduced to just about a meg if it didn't rain... After various calls to india somewhere, and having to listen to someone reading to me from the same manual I had in front of me, got kind of fed up. Before the switch I was getting slightly over 2 meg and with that lot not even the half of it.:omg:
It went on for ages. :cwm23:
Everytime I did online speed checks, it came out that I was able to receive over 2 meg, but BT was only giving 1 meg or thereabouts. After complaining, my speed was increased.... Only to be cut again two months later, with the excuse that the cables were old, and the distance from the exchange was too great.... :Erm: Less than a mile....???:doh
More online speed checks, and I proved them wrong when they did it for me.... They had to admit that it was their fault but....:cwm23: Blah, blah, blah....:cwm23:
Now, with AOL I get what I am paying for.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Over 2 meg and the service is good.... They speak english......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
9th October 2008, 10:43
Now you see Mr Dom, in the VAST majority of cases, the problem is not with the line speed, but with the computer. The majority of computers can't handle the incoming speed, so slow it down.

If you do a speed test, it measures it at the speed your computer processes it, not what you actually receive it as.

For instance I get 8MB, I usually have 7.6MB hitting my router....and I live in the middle of knowhere, miles from the exchange, yet a speed measurement in IE may only give me 3MBs....and this is on a 4GB...Quadcore :cwm24: ......It all depends what your system is, and what it is doing.

Before complaining, always work out the average speed hitting your router over a few weeks, don't use online speed tests, they are meaningless.

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:13

ohhh ok.. Thanks for tht tip, I will let my hubby to scout laptop there for me. My hubby is using DELL ummmm I'm thinking to get TOSHIBA :):)

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:17
Write a list of what you want....then when you have a list of laptops that have that.....list them as processor, ram, graphics, screen, etc....and compare them. Buy the best that fits, not the cheapest.

umm on my list boss.. is of course WI-FI ready, 5in1 card reader slot, blue tooth, cd-writer and built-in cam, intel-centrino duo processor...
ummm I'm not that good in specs hehehe as long as it is fast that's important to me hehehehe...

KeithD
9th October 2008, 11:24
DVD-Writer.....AT LEAST 2GB's of RAM as most come with Vista now, and anything less slows it right down.....Try and get a Dual Core.

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:25
Good point to bring up about prebundled PCs

Our company uses Dell but wipes them clean and then starts again.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Starting_With_A_Clean_Machine

Go and use the laptops your about to buy.

never understood why people buy a device which they have never try which can if you use a great deal affect your health (eyes, back, wrists)

Make a list of what YOU want from the Laptop.

Read loads of reviews from real people. Be careful about reading reviews on the Internet many independent blogs and the likes are treated very well by firms.

worth checking out if the warrenty is important how the company is doing is it likely to be here in 22 months when you need to make a claim?

Also if you buy in Phill and bring to the UK for example make sure its a worldwide warrenty. I think Acers is as is tosh as are many of the big firms but do check.

Also noticed Phil is a dumping ground for some PC and electronics companies. So be careful what exact model your getting read reviews for that exact model. one letter added or taen off the name can make a big difference.

Never stop your self buying a laptop due to the software loaded on if the Hardware is top rate.

Make sure the laptop is expandable, can more memory be added? can the hard disk be changed easily. Also what connectors does it have is it future proof?

Many people i know of a techy nature by a Laptop subsidised by junk ware loaded on and wipe the hard disk and load on a COpy of XP they have even if you buy a oem copy (most pc shops will sell it to you if you buy a a pc part)

So what do you intend to use the laptop for?

Office type applications, browsing, graphics, games, im?

One last thing i would add.

Although spending money can normally equate to a better laptop sometimes its better to buy what you need if its not a major priority.

Many people i know have a cheap laptop which they change regularly every two years say.

why spend a thousand pounds if you use now and then and could have 5 different laptops for the next ten years for 200?

Thanks for these TIPS... I'm not planning to buy too expensive LAPTOP too because my first one is not tht expensive and its not branded too. It's enough for me to use it for more than 2 years not, I used it just plainly surfing, talking to my hubby and uploading pics and download songs and sometimes just few office works... So I decided to buy new one and I'm citing now TOSHIBA -- and for sure I will not buy too expensive new laptop for me, I'm not that techy person and at the same time I'm not weird too hehehehe :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp: I just love GADGETS hehehehe -- So maybe my budget for that is 500 pounds only... And I'm thinking now If I will buy here or there? hmmmmm the downside is if I will travel going there Hopefully 15hours travel is soooooooooooo boring huhuhuhuhuuh :bigcry::bigcry:

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:28

ohhh BT is crap hehehe WHY? my hubby is using it since then... So AOL is BETTER? What's the specs of your LAPPIES MOD :Erm::Erm:

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:30
I was talked by a salesman to switch from BT Yahoo to Bt Broadband, unlimited download, up to 8meg speed, cheaper, better, wifi phone thrown in, blah, blah....
Within 3 months the speed was reduced to just about a meg if it didn't rain... After various calls to india somewhere, and having to listen to someone reading to me from the same manual I had in front of me, got kind of fed up. Before the switch I was getting slightly over 2 meg and with that lot not even the half of it.:omg:
It went on for ages. :cwm23:
Everytime I did online speed checks, it came out that I was able to receive over 2 meg, but BT was only giving 1 meg or thereabouts. After complaining, my speed was increased.... Only to be cut again two months later, with the excuse that the cables were old, and the distance from the exchange was too great.... :Erm: Less than a mile....???:doh
More online speed checks, and I proved them wrong when they did it for me.... They had to admit that it was their fault but....:cwm23: Blah, blah, blah....:cwm23:
Now, with AOL I get what I am paying for.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Over 2 meg and the service is good.... They speak english......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I will take this TIPS from you MOD hehehe! AOL is better than BT

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:33
sis if were you don't buy laptop in the Philippines, loads of branded laptop here and cheaper than in PI

I'm having second thoughts now where to buy my new laptop.... hehehhe :Rasp::Rasp: My hubby says that I will buy there If I'm there esp this January SALES.. I can get a good buys and great deals.. but then the down side is... What will i do in the plane If I will travel from here to there one day..It's too boring ayt, I do have my ipod hehehhe..

amyburple
9th October 2008, 11:37
DVD-Writer.....AT LEAST 2GB's of RAM as most come with Vista now, and anything less slows it right down.....Try and get a Dual Core.

Yes most now comes with VISTA but then I've heard that vista is not nice, is it true? I'm using XP in my laptop here in office we are using lenux...

Yea Dual Core is on my list too :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
9th October 2008, 12:06
Vista is fantastic, faster & much more secure. People who have problems with usually blame MS, when the problem is with 3rd party drivers they never bothered to update. You won't have any problems on a new system.

amyburple
9th October 2008, 13:38
Vista is fantastic, faster & much more secure. People who have problems with usually blame MS, when the problem is with 3rd party drivers they never bothered to update. You won't have any problems on a new system.

Ohhh OK BOSS thanks for the TIPS.... :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
9th October 2008, 14:20

Yup, the lappie got all that.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

What will i do in the plane If I will travel from here to there one day..It's too boring ayt, I do have my ipod hehehhe..

Get yourself a Nintendo DS and a couple or three good games. My Nintendo Gameboy travelled with me all over the world.
Besides the choice of entertaiment on board is very good. ie music, movies, comedy, games...etc.

Yes, after experiencing Vista Premium on the new laptop I fully agree.
I am waiting for the price to go down, before buying it for the home Pc.

amyburple
9th October 2008, 14:38
Get yourself a Nintendo DS and a couple or three good games. My Nintendo Game boy traveled with me all over the world.
Besides the choice of entertainment on board is very good. ie music, movies, comedy, games...etc.

Nintendo like PSP :Erm::Erm:

aromulus
9th October 2008, 14:45
Nintendo like PSP :Erm::Erm:

2 different brands....:omg:

KeithD
9th October 2008, 15:15

MS products don't go down in price! Get the OEM version from Ebuyer.

amyburple
9th October 2008, 18:30
2 different brands....:omg:

ummmm ok.. I got it^^ Hmmm I might buy to coz my hubby is really insisting my to buy lappies when I get there.. because he said the prices will go down ummmm I will buy 8GB of USB for all my files on my old laptop :)

andypaul
9th October 2008, 20:25

I was thinking more of the mobile deals which offer you the world and now mobile companies are offering you a cheap laptop on a 24 month contract!!

The internet ones i have not looked at Laptops free with work :D

My bt is fine.

Like Mr Admin boss po sir says there is a little more to broadband than simply pluging in. Chino if it pops back could tell you far more than me.

many people have found adding a touchplate at the master socket makes a massive difference also looking at devices which can cause interfrence to the connection. Simply having the wiring checked can help. Some older houses will have wiring decades old when Adsl was simply letters from the alphabet.

If you know what our doing the Bell wire Snip helps much mucho in some cases. As you can reduce noise on the line. Which is the same as changing the plate.

Even the Filter you use can make a difference as can like Mr admin say the pc and router etc. Some people have some fancy filters with face plate which they swear by.
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

Also i have noticed speed tests will never show what my connection is capable off. My always says 2-3 meg but when im downloading or streaming it gets to the 6.5 -7 BT claim.

Sir Dom po if you ever have trouble sleeping have a butchers at this.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#235

vbkelly
9th October 2008, 20:54
I'm having second thoughts now where to buy my new laptop.... hehehhe :Rasp::Rasp: My hubby says that I will buy there If I'm there esp this January SALES.. I can get a good buys and great deals.. but then the down side is... What will i do in the plane If I will travel from here to there one day..It's too boring ayt, I do have my ipod hehehhe..

sis in the plane you can watch movie,tv,play a game and listen to the music in your own time,coz you have your own monitor in your seat.

joebloggs
9th October 2008, 22:01
[SIZE=4]Yes, after experiencing Vista Premium on the new laptop I fully agree.

xp lives longer, means death of vista

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-xp-gets-another-six-months-of-life-473319

andypaul
9th October 2008, 22:10
Windows 7 out soon why would you bother with vista still has not sorted it self out.

This would have been the time when people would have upgraded firms. But no one is going to bother now.

On your avg Dell business PC XP flys along Vista is umm staggering along and means loads of tickets for IT support.

Will it increase productvity ummm nope.

KeithD
10th October 2008, 09:27
Windows 7 is just a Vista upgrade, with the new excellent Office style interface on everything. It'll look like Vista, and work like it, as it is not a total re-write of the code as was XP-Vista.

It will be at least another year before the release.

Most other changes from Vista will be what the majority will not use, virtual disks, better server support, a new networking API, and other fiddly bits.

So is it still worth upgrading? For security & stability, yes.

amyburple
10th October 2008, 11:33
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm which is which XP or VISTA hehehe :Erm::Erm::Erm: ummmm I rarely use office files ahehehehe. I'm doing more on Surfing :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
10th October 2008, 11:42
Vista is safer on the Net due to the way the code is written.

amyburple
10th October 2008, 11:51
Vista is safer on the Net due to the way the code is written.

ummm OKAY :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sketco
8th February 2009, 07:23

Have to agree aromulus my A300 is brilliant.... although I do use an Asus eeepc for short stay travel, so i don't bleed if it gets pinched. (that doesn't sound quite right somehow does it:) )

kione
24th February 2009, 13:22
I recommend dell XPS for laptop. heavy duty and it will last you for a long time. (based on my experience)
acer is too flimsy!
the next think i would choose would be a MAC or an HP blackbird! thats about it ;)

keithAngel
24th February 2009, 14:03
My dell is two years now and has survived coffee tobacoe and abuse of high magnitude including Thailand twice and now the phils its a inspiron 1300 I got it with 3 years onsite service and when the battery died they replaced them overnight so all good only drawer back no service outside Europe:xxgrinning--00xx3: But then again havnt needed it

beppe
4th August 2009, 06:18

Any difference between Intel and AMD?

pennybarry
4th August 2009, 08:47
I worked with different Electronics firm for a decade. Hard Disk Mfg, Printed Circuit Board Mfg., PCB Assembly, and I.C. Mfg.

All I know is they are all strict when it comes to quality.

We made ACER mother board and they are one of the hardest board to inspect. So as Nokia 3310 PCB board. I remember, Nokia is sending back the board to us if they found even one defect in their random inspection.

KeithD
4th August 2009, 08:55
Any difference between Intel and AMD?
Intel is more expensive but slightly better than AMD at the moment.

A new war is about to break out over the 6 Cores, and Intel are launching an 8 Core next year, but AMD are going straight to the 12 Core. They also have a working 80 Core, but we won't see that for a few years yet :cwm24:

somebody
6th August 2009, 17:33
Intel is more expensive but slightly better than AMD at the moment.

A new war is about to break out over the 6 Cores, and Intel are launching an 8 Core next year, but AMD are going straight to the 12 Core. They also have a working 80 Core, but we won't see that for a few years yet :cwm24:

Not so worried about 80 cores in my laptop think of your groin:omg::D

Just as important is power consumption and the heat generated when it comes to my choice for laptops:D

trader dave
6th August 2009, 17:41
cant give much advice on what to buy but if philippine laptops are like there pc's they are years behind :Erm::Erm:compared to ours i spend 30k php on a pc over there its a load of crap to what i have in the uk :NoNo::NoNo:

aromulus
6th August 2009, 19:19
Amiburple has gone AWOL.........:Erm:

lizaphil
6th August 2009, 19:38

hi my laptop is acer i buy this not brandnew i buy it nearly 2years now,i cant afford to buy new one :bigcry::bigcry: :NoNo:
because laptop here is so expensive but still working,:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

trader dave
6th August 2009, 20:38

MAYBE BAFFLED :doh:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol:

joebloggs
6th August 2009, 21:04

if you read this Amyburple PM please, hope things worked out ok :rolleyes: