PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Now filmed in Luzon

aposhark
25th September 2008, 19:35
http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/a/apocalypse.html

I remember the stories about the problems with the set.
What a great film anyway.
I would like to see where Kurtz's hideaway was.
Interesting that the movie was based on Joseph Conrad's book "Heart Of Darkness" set in the Congo (I think :cwm24:)
Now that chap Conrad lived a very interesting life BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Conrad

Gavanddal
28th September 2008, 11:32
I remember seeing Apocalypse Now when I was young and was really disturbed by the buffalo sacrifice scene. Years later I watched Eleanor Coppola's documentary about the making of the film in which she described that scene as being "beautiful". Didn't see anything beautiful about an animal with terror in it's eyes and it's head half cut off.

aromulus
28th September 2008, 11:55
A lot of people in the west, seem to get squeamish at other cultures traditions.

Although some of those traditions may well be barbaric and very Neanderthal, we can't police it.

In some strange way "Religion" is involved....:NoNo:

Gavanddal
28th September 2008, 12:58
Just like Africans I guess, they seem to think nothing of hacking off peoples heads, limbs and privates at the drop of a hat. Something that we find horrific. I guess we're just being too sensitive.

joebloggs
28th September 2008, 17:05
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi

aromulus
28th September 2008, 17:23
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi

I feel really relieved by that quote by Gandhi.......:rolleyes:

It goes to show real greatness...:cwm24:

andypaul
28th September 2008, 19:36
The wifes mum lived there as a kid. Nice place Pagsanjan but i thought at first they were famous for shooting the rabbits untill i realised i had misheard the mother in law:doh

tomm
28th September 2008, 23:41
The wifes mum lived there as a kid. Nice place Pagsanjan but i thought at first they were famous for shooting the rabbits untill i realised i had misheard the mother in law:doh

Pagsanjan Falls is a great experience. Highly recommended :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Juliet and I done the whole thing, including the raft ride right underneath the falls. You pass by the spot where the film was shot on the way up the river.

keithAngel
16th October 2008, 23:44

Just found this thread having not had much net for a while nice post Joe I think it would be great if abbatoirs where made of glass and located in the center of town

joebloggs
17th October 2008, 00:02
my sister, many years go, use to travel around Europe with her husband, who was a long distance lorry driver. they stopped at an abattoir in France once , and the people were sat their eating there sandwiches covered in blood, and on thier hands :cwm24:, one of them wanted to know if she would sell her 4yr son to them :cwm23:

i've worked with someone who worked in a slaughterhouse for years, after a while he said you become desensitized to the killing, their not even animals any more just an object. :NoNo: they use to kick around and abuse to waste time.

i've been a veggy for 25 years now :xxgrinning--00xx3:, still here, still healthy, and believe that being a veggy has prevented some animals from suffering :rolleyes:

maybe time i started my STOP campaign again - STOP ! ( Save The Opressed Pig) from becoming lechon :NoNo:

keithAngel
17th October 2008, 00:51
Was a veggie myself for some years and having kept animals and eaten them I realised the big difference in terms of how they are treated and the effects both adrenaline and taste and the detachment for most people (meat comes in white plastic covered trays) have on that experience.