PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings

keithAngel
24th September 2008, 21:27
Well so it begins, I am in Hong Kong having arrived at 5pm local time last night on BA 31 from LH and I must say it was a great flight, I bagged a good seat on line 24 hours before departure and although I didnt get much sleep I felt more refreshed than on any of my previous flights to Asia on Middle East carriers.

For any dispicable smokers among us my E Cigarette was wonderful and led to NO conversations at any airports or on flight.

It was exciting to arrive on the tail end of a typhoon but it had effectively ended, the approach to the Island was fun and goes on my list of OMG wheres the land approaches

I am staying in the Novotel Citygate which is about ten mins from the airport free shuttle from desk A16 in the arrivals hall bit pricey at 1600 HKD but excellent quality and as I am flying to Manila at 11am on Thurs I didnt want the hassle of going further although I may well explore a bit more on my return.

Its 4am and I dont seem to be able to sleep more now so I am whiling away the time till breakfast arrives and getting full value from the internet that cost an extra £10 for 24 hours phew!!

I have booked a recommended taxi from Cebu to collect my G/F before coming to the airport and if all goes well he will have brought the Roses with him in the boot so I can suprise her .

So whats still on my list ...hmm to wear all my clothes or have an exciting discussion with Cebu Pacific over excess baggage....buy some peso ...iron my boxers.....nah just noticed there is still a beer in the fridge i must be slipping stay tuned for the next instalment but dont hold your breath!!

aposhark
24th September 2008, 21:37
Have a great time in Phils keithAngel :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
24th September 2008, 21:49
Good luck! with your meeting tomorrow, I'm sure it will go well. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
24th September 2008, 23:09
So whats still on my list ...hmm to wear all my clothes or have an exciting discussion with Cebu Pacific over excess baggage....buy some peso ...iron my boxers.....nah just noticed there is still a beer in the fridge i must be slipping stay tuned for the next instalment but dont hold your breath!!

They tried to clobber me with a big excess amount in Manila en route for Cebu.
I asked them to try all the check-in scales.
They were ALL different in their measurement of my bag :doh
So I moved things also, and kept my foot under the scale to make sure the robbing ^&%$£""^'s didn't get anything.
Funny though, it was so much easier and less stressful when leaving Cebu for Manila.
Apart from the farewell's though :NoNo:

Alan
24th September 2008, 23:23
Welcome to the Phils. mate. See you on Saturday - that is, if you're not busy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Al.:)

menchkin
25th September 2008, 05:51
Enjoy your time here in PI !!! :)

LEAHnew
25th September 2008, 08:16
.......So whats still on my list ...hmm to wear all my clothes or have an exciting discussion with Cebu Pacific over excess baggage....buy some peso ...iron my boxers.....nah just noticed there is still a beer in the fridge i must be slipping stay tuned for the next instalment but dont hold your breath!!

Does stick to the wall:Erm::D:Rasp::Cuckoo:

Welcome to the Phils:Hellooo::Hellooo:
Have a great time:xxgrinning--00xx3:

alicat
25th September 2008, 08:18
goodluck..

KeithD
25th September 2008, 12:13
I took compressed air tanks full of helium.......didn't work though :Erm:

amyburple
25th September 2008, 19:06
WELCOME... Have fun here! :):):)

keithAngel
29th September 2008, 05:31
I have been here nearly four days now (feels like a couple of weeks) Cebu Pacific only charged me an extra 200 on the Manila -Cebu leg so not to bad and I was entertained by their in flight movie quiz extravaganza and almost won a carrier bag .

A wonderful arrival my hire car driver was great , he picked up the flowers before collecting my darling and so the meeting started in the most romantic way i could envisage, I was the last out of the terminal ad Angie had already sent various guys to see what was holding me up in the comfort room ,well a guy wants to freshen up after a twelve hour day right.

I booked in to Fuente Pension around 7pm and although I had a confirmed reservation they had managed to forget it completly so an interesting 5 mins after which I was ushered to there "Battleship Grey room " for 995 piso a night the best i can say for the room was that the bed was wide and comfortable.

Next day they informed me that I would be downgraded lol or would have to pay 1550 for the next night to stay put so I went visiting various establishment s and now im in the Diplomat on f Ramos 35sq mts of luxury and only 1360 I recomend it

Met up with Alan and Hannah yesterday at SM mall and had a loverly meal and chat and a chance to see Alans chopper in the flesh:omg:

Started to shortlist properties to rent in the local classifieds today and my honey will start to phone them when she gets back from work tonight looking forward to her vacation that begins on friday:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
29th September 2008, 10:12
and a chance to see Alans chopper in the flesh:omg:

It's big and red.:cwm12::cwm3:

Mrs.JMajor
30th September 2008, 09:33
Wow,nice to know your having great time Keith.....opss i should add the "angel" might the other Keith will think its him ,(kidding) :Hellooo:

keithAngel
2nd October 2008, 05:42
Well Ramadan holiday yesterday was very pleasant ,no work so we went to the swimming pool somewhere near Talisay with all the family Momma sister and two nieces 8 of us on a trike :omg:that was a new experience i thought it maybe was for two lol.

Have looked at 5 houses /apartments but all pretty down in western terms, off tonight to look at a 3 bed place with small garden, I have also discovered that asking questions on the phone like,how big is the master bedroom can draw a big blank folk here don't have size in meters in there thoughts nor which direction the place is in, fascinating.

The food so far is pretty bland so I have taken to carrying tobasco with me for a quick fix cant wait for cooking facilities

Well off to the mall (Robinsons) to change some cash or ATM when I arrived at Manilla last week I got 84 at the new terminal I will let you know how it is now later

Had a BBQ meal and a few large beers with Alan on tuesday evening and it cost total about £4.00 happy days and we could listen to Karoke for FREE:Brick:

aromulus
2nd October 2008, 07:27
Talisay...???

My wife is from Talisay.... Maybe the girls know each other....:Erm:

Food pretty bland..... You won't find many curry houses there, I am afraid....:NoNo:

Two places I can recommend for decent nosh....

1 - Cafe Laguna, basement level of Ayala Mall, try the crispy pata....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

2 - Manna, fresh fish restaurant in Sotokil, Mactan, next door to the Lapu-Lapu shrine. Get the Mrs to pick and choose the fish, because they may charge "kano" price if you do.:omg:

Have a good one............!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
2nd October 2008, 08:30
Update China banks ATM was on a go slow and sterling was 82 at the money changer at Robinson today just had a hair-cut and head rub (or was that polish?) 46p

Alan
2nd October 2008, 12:28
Talisay...???

My wife is from Talisay.... Maybe the girls know each other....:Erm:

Food pretty bland..... You won't find many curry houses there, I am afraid....:NoNo:

Two places I can recommend for decent nosh....

1 - Cafe Laguna, basement level of Ayala Mall, try the crispy pata....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

2 - Manna, fresh fish restaurant in Sotokil, Mactan, next door to the Lapu-Lapu shrine. Get the Mrs to pick and choose the fish, because they may charge "kano" price if you do.:omg:

Have a good one............!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for the info about the restaurants Dom. I might give those a try now that I have managed to save a bit. (£3.96!!)

keithAngel
3rd October 2008, 02:04
Went to the "Casa Verde " last night just round the corner from my hotel and had the best meal since arriving and met an English guy from Durham a great evening steak and prawns £2 and tender as you like could cut it with a spoon (which was just as well lol) they also had proper mustard also saw a 3/4 bed house in Gaudaloupe for $15000 piso a month ....promising

My Honey is on leave from tonight so we can get down to some serious looking and not get up so early in the morning and it will be nice to site see a bit if Alan will lend me 50p for the taxi

missmiles
3rd October 2008, 04:43
enjoy :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:

Alan
3rd October 2008, 10:24
and it will be nice to site see a bit if Alan will lend me 50p for the taxi

With pleasure mate! Just let me work 20 hours overtime and the 50p is yours!

keithAngel
8th October 2008, 12:34
Well 5 days has passed and Ive seen a fair few houses made a couple of offers but nothing definitive yet am trying to remain patient and hope that we have put enough energy in for one to be presented soon so I can start really living here and get out of the Hotel

Its been more tricky due to geographical constraints (daily commute to Cebu City) and trying to decide on furnished or unfurnished to start.

The cheapest was 8000 peso a month 2 small bedrooms (one aircon) living room laundry room drive up the mountain a bit ideally i would like 3 bed and a small garden for the bbq and dog an oven fridge and bed would also be a good start.

Had a good Pizza at Yellow Cab yesterday and i like humba and the ribs here and the local ground coffee at 70peso is not bad at all.

Having a night to myself while my Honey catches up on her family so Im off to see whats good for my dinner

I have a great phrase book an example

I have a rat under my bed
Naa,y ilaga sa ilalom sa atong katre!

Just wait. when i catch it , ill cook it!
Pagpaabot lang. Kon madakpan ko, akong lutoon!

So armed I will sully forth:Help1:

missmiles
8th October 2008, 15:20
Well 5 days has passed and Ive seen a fair few houses made a couple of offers but nothing definitive yet am trying to remain patient and hope that we have put enough energy in for one to be presented soon so I can start really living here and get out of the Hotel

Its been more tricky due to geographical constraints (daily commute to Cebu City) and trying to decide on furnished or unfurnished to start.

The cheapest was 8000 peso a month 2 small bedrooms (one aircon) living room laundry room drive up the mountain a bit ideally i would like 3 bed and a small garden for the bbq and dog an oven fridge and bed would also be a good start.

Had a good Pizza at Yellow Cab yesterday and i like humba and the ribs here and the local ground coffee at 70peso is not bad at all.

Having a night to myself while my Honey catches up on her family so Im off to see whats good for my dinner

I have a great phrase book an example

I have a rat under my bed
Naa,y ilaga sa ilalom sa atong katre!

Just wait. when i catch it , ill cook it!
Pagpaabot lang. Kon madakpan ko, akong lutoon!

So armed I will sully forth:Help1:

hahahahha that's funny...hmmm you will eat awww how will you cook the RAT -- ummm FRIED hehehe or ADOBO lol :cwm12::cwm12::cwm12:

keithAngel
13th October 2008, 14:01
Well 17 days after arrival and and about 13 house lookings later we have finaly found "the one" and I am typing this in the Diplomat Hotel as I wait for the taxi to arrive and magicaly transport me to phase two of living in the Phils I will post some pics when I have settled and hopefully the dsl will allow me more than intermittant acess to the net.

It was Alans birthday yesterday and we were invited on Sat to his "Film Premier" at Bigfoot Mactan and quite a do it was parking the Limo was complicated by the carabou taking exception to there traditional grazing being taken over by the plethora of stretch trikes and I would imagine the red carpet is still being clean from their enthusiastic contributions. Imagine my suprise when we were having a dual celebratory dinner at the excellent "Chink Palace" in Salinas road when a phone call brought the well deserved news that the film had won first prize,

The security did a wonderful job in not allowing the Parapattzi to intrude, (they hadnt realised who I had arrived with till then)and they had to content themselves interveiwing some pacific crabs who claimed to be related.

So all in all its been a momentous 48 hours. whatever next ?

to be continued...................

small update moved in and cooked my first meal for my honey and i have just connected the dsl modem next step a router:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
13th October 2008, 14:06
Well 17 days after arrival and and about 13 house lookings later we have finaly found "the one" and I am typing this in the Diplomat Hotel as I wait for the taxi to arrive and magicaly transport me to phase two of living in the Phils I will post some pics when I have settled and hopefully the dsl will allow me more than intermittant acess to the net.

It was Alans birthday yesterday and we were invited on Sat to his "Film Premier" at Bigfoot Mactan and quite a do it was parking the Limo was complicated by the carabou taking exception to there traditional grazing being taken over by the plethora of stretch trikes and I would imagine the red carpet is still being cleaned from their enthusiastic contributions. Imagine my suprise when we were having a dual celebratory dinner at the excellent "Chink Palace" in Salinas road when a phone call brought the well deserved news that the film had won first prize,

The security did a wonderful job in not allowing the Parapattzi to intrude, (they hadnt realised who I had arrived with till then)and they had to content themselves interveiwing some pacific crabs who claimed to be related.

small update moved in and cooked my first meal for my honey and i have just connected the dsl modem next step a router:xxgrinning--00xx3:

misscarie
13th October 2008, 14:13
hi keithangel , sounds that u love our country...enjoy ur day with ur girl.
God bless and will wait for the photos.

Alan
13th October 2008, 15:33

It was Alans birthday yesterday and we were invited on Sat to his "Film Premier" at Bigfoot Mactan and quite a do it was parking the Limo was complicated by the carabou taking exception to there traditional grazing being taken over by the plethora of stretch trikes and I would imagine the red carpet is still being cleaned from their enthusiastic contributions. Imagine my suprise when we were having a dual celebratory dinner at the excellent "Chink Palace" in Salinas road when a phone call brought the well deserved news that the film had won first prize,

Keith, Intendete dire i patataparazzi!

È quello corretto Peanutzis?

aromulus
13th October 2008, 16:25
Keith, Intendete dire i patataparazzi!

È quello corretto Peanutzis?

:Erm::Erm::Erm:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Gotcha.........:rolleyes:

:ARsurrender:

sneaker23
14th October 2008, 01:07
how's it goin keith?

keithAngel
14th October 2008, 02:35
how's it goin keith?

Perhaps I can answer your question thus.........I start every morning by whispering in my honeys ear "Welcome to another day in Paradise" the only major concern is "will my beer stay cold while im drinking it":xxgrinning--00xx3:

sneaker23
14th October 2008, 02:49
that's sweet!

so its hot and humid down south? its raining cats and dogs over metro manila... leaving my coffee cold before even getting halfway.

keithAngel
16th October 2008, 16:17
Got my contract today 1 year and option for a second and my delightful landlords have offered to plant a Bay tree and have their carpenters knock up some herb beds, They took me on a field trip to Makro today and i got some frozen cod for 129 a kilo, its the same here as Europe you need to do proper research as a lot of things are cheaper in the supermarket.

Last night a mouse ran under the bed so my Cebuano phrase book was more useful than i had first thought we didnt catch it though so i cant tell you what it tastes like yet

A little later we were visited by a very large frog on the porch must have been 10 inches tall sitting having assured it of my good intentions ( and lack of French influence) it remained and we had a nice chat my Honey was delighted to be got out of bed to share my enthusiasm,

I met the neighbors today and suprised myself by discovering an un-named Basque garden resturant hiding two doors down so paella and a rather good red made a pleasant dinner for us both and we were home after the meal in 30 seconds first rate manifestation even by my standards......

keithAngel
7th November 2008, 03:55
Well its been three and a half weeks now since moving to the new house and also since my last update doesn't time fly when your having fun!!:D

Ive explored the neighborhood pretty well now and know where all the local stuff is and feel like a local in the "fooda" supermarket now as I have chatted to all the checkout girls and they are resigned to my unavailability:icon_lol: I kid you not for the first week it was "hullo where you stay? are you alone? In the end the only solution was to take my honey at the weekend and let her glower at each in turn:doh

Im sometimes even allowed to pack my shopping now as Ive completed my Trainee Bag Packers course (I did it years ago in the UK)

Ive also made friends with the local can recycler who has hit pay-dirt with me and seems to now live just outside the gate:rolleyes:

As we get more used to one another we have been discussing future options and from this has sprung a change of direction for Angie we now have an ever expanding social network of expats and there is not enough time to accept all invitations, as the results have a tendency to mean I fall over,

We are in the process of opening a Cebuano and English tuition service as you may have seen in a recent post and the first 3 customers have arrived from the USA (no not for English:Erm:) and this has made life a bit more hectic as my honey is still working full time until Christmas unless she is released earlier from her contract which reads like a 16th century "we own you for life" bond servant deal.

The role reversal thats been going on is so far so good and I was pleasantly suprised that my cooking gets a consistant 8-9/10 it was pies yesterday and crinckle cut chips and salad with homemade banana ice cream at weekends she cooks and I enjoy innan unnan and humba and am working on my own interpretations of classic pinoy cuisine the oven is not quite as good as I would like and the yorkshire ,whilst acceptable did not rise as much as I had hoped but since no-one knew what it should be like I pulled it off I think.

Ive been trying to introduce the Idea of low impact living by such amusing sugestions as using vinegar as a general purpose cleaner toilet/floor etc and hiding the bleach.

Ran out of coal tar soap the other day and had an interesting conversation in the soap department by inquiring whether they had any that would not turn me white this lead to a spirited conversation ending with that well known phrase "out of stock" I have to admit I created this situation later by purchasing the last three bottles of HP sauce.

Time for Breakfast I think.....to be continued:)

keithAngel
9th November 2008, 05:46
Had a great night out on Mactan last night at Dionnes Bar not to far from the Airport, Thanks for the invite David good to meet you and Connie It was great fun seeing the ladies singing and all the smiles many thanks also met a few other Brits and Im going to the Kiwi Lodge on Tuesday for pool and libations:D

keithAngel
23rd November 2008, 09:57
Having been here for a couple of months I thought it was high time I had what passes for a good night out with the boys so I met up with "the gang" and off we went.

The bars were rather unusual as the female clientele all seemed to think they were at the beach but social customs do vary of course, I will have to ask my honey about it.

Pool was our purpose and sure enough the establishments all had pool tables but I must say it was sometimes difficult to get a clear shot (its amazing how many ladies out for a quiet girly chat are big fans of games in progress and vocal encouragement was high) what with fans and tables encroaching in the playing area I sometimes had to unscrew my cue due to obstacles,

I must also say that whilst the pool was free the beer prices were high but as the locals were very friendly and seemed genuinely glad to see us maybe some sort of subsidy is taking place I will have to research some more and when I find out I will let you all know.

The last place we went to was the silver ollar near Osmena and they had a strange thing there was a little bucket like you get Ice in full of ping pong balls and I noticed guys paying 300pesos and throwing them up in the air much to the ladies delight its some sort of game were the women compete to "win" a ball and then get enthusiastic with the thrower perhaps there is some kind of league table didn't catch the name of the game but pool is a serious business. after all:rolleyes:

keithAngel
11th December 2008, 02:19
Doesn'T time fly when your having fun!!

Christmas is finally upon us and I guess my honey will soon arrange the Donkey(or has she already got one?:Erm:) and carpenter to build the full scale Nativity Scene in the yard:cwm34:

This weekend we are off to the beach at Danao at a resort

http://www.elsalvadorresort.com/photos.html

with a local Hash for their Xmas bash their dedication to support the local brewing industry is legendary here so my fitness should improve dramatically:rolleyes:

http://www.cebuhash.org/NextRun/nextrun.html

Finally tracked down what may be the cheapest Golf in the Phills last week and had my first game last Monday.

Its very Tight postage stamp greens much up and downing ,many opportunities to meet Locals, Goats and Caribou and People and cars (I saw a jeepney the day we found it)occasionally criss cross a small road that runs through it.

Longest hole is maybe 190 yds.

They claimed the cost was 260 but clever haggling (Hang yu) the phrase "pobre man ko" with appropriate eyebrow rolling and claiming my companion was "Katihik nimo" (stingy as they come all covered in this weeks group class on Cebuano) gave some credence to my claim to be local and meant we got it down to 150peso for week days and you can play all day for this

We did rent clubs and a caddy to show us the way and I hope he was amused a half set with two putters 150 caddy more pobres 100

Took us a couple of hours but then we did want to fully explore less visited parts of the course http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif In the UK we would call it a pitch and putt with fly tipping opportunities you can also purchase 20 pickups for around 150

To maintain the exclusivity of this find if your handicap is based on balls lost and you do not wear loud yellow check trousers PM me and I may reveal the location But please no Riff Raff http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

The Cebuano Teaching has picked up to the point my Honey is tendering her notice to her English School so she can concentrate on developing this so we will have more time together :cwm24:

Ah well its 9.15am "Horas para na mag-inum":icon_lol:

Paulboy
22nd January 2009, 19:13
Great stories Keith - are you still loving it ?

keithAngel
15th March 2009, 06:03
Well I have been slack posting here and now with less than 23hours left in Cebu and the long journey back to the UK I am experiencing a surreal shift I will wait till im in the UK and then perhaps be inspired to bring this blog up to date and recount more of my experiences Bear with me:Help1::bigcry: