PDA

View Full Version : british driving license

anngrimes78@msn
17th September 2008, 11:46
i am planning to take lessons in driving and eventually want to get a license to drive here but im not sure if i can apply for one because im not yet british im on FLR visa. i need your advice on this please...
thanks.

aromulus
17th September 2008, 12:02
i am planning to take lessons in driving and eventually want to get a license to drive here but im not sure if i can apply for one because im not yet british im on FLR visa. i need your advice on this please...
thanks.

No problem at all, Ann.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You can apply anytime you want.

It will not be as easy as getting a licence in the Philippines (you cannot bribe anyone here...:D) , and more expensive, but the british licence is recognized world wide.

Good luck.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jet & Dom

KeithD
17th September 2008, 17:37
Once you've got the license you can then get around 50 credit cards, use them to get mortgage, then claim bankruptcy.....!!!

kimmi
17th September 2008, 18:36
thanks.

hi Anne, it is so easy to get a provisionary license here..like u I am on FLR visa and I got my license in just a week and so far taking lessons in driving..

maybe u like to read the thread Ive posted here..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=8853&highlight=driving+license

Hope it helps.Goodluck..

Once you've got the license you can then get around 50 credit cards, use them to get mortgage, then claim bankruptcy.....!!!

:omg::omg::omg::Erm::Erm::doh:rolleyes:

andypaul
6th December 2008, 00:37
No problem at all, Ann.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You can apply anytime you want.

It will not be as easy as getting a licence in the Philippines (you cannot bribe anyone here...:D) , and more expensive, but the british licence is recognized world wide.

Good luck.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jet & Dom

I accept Bribes you get nothing in return. But that will teach you for trying to Bribe someone:D

I feel I am providing a much need service.

On a serious tip Kimmis thread is full of useful info:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
6th December 2008, 14:26
My wife got a provisional licnce within a day or two. A month later she was issued with her full non professional licence and an International Licence, without bribes, but she did have a relative who helped !

In Spain we went to an unused dual carriageway mfor her first lesson. She did not even know what I meant when I said release the handbrake.

So as someone said, a D/L issued in Phil may not mean anything!

somebody
6th December 2008, 18:55
I think the school of thought fom those i know who have moved from abroad and very limited experience of driving is to forget it all and start again.

Thats what the Wife has done from advice she has got from her friends.

reginacarlson
6th January 2009, 23:00
In fairness to Filipino drivers, they are braver and less intimidated when in comes to driving abroad, driving in another country is easier for them compare to the Philippine traffic they got used to which is always highly congested. Foreigners (drivers and passengers alike) in the Philippines are scared sh*tless from all the honking, bumper to bumper "gitgitan", and lane cutting Filipino drivers are known for.

ballistix
8th January 2009, 07:48
do you know if the international license that you can get here in the AAP Phil. is recognize or can be really use in UK?

darren-b
8th January 2009, 08:02
do you know if the international license that you can get here in the AAP Phil. is recognize or can be really use in UK?

As a vistor/new resident you can drive for up to a year on your Philippines driving license. But once you have been resident in the UK for more than a year your Philippines driving is no longer valid, and to continue driving you must obtain a full British driving license.

aposhark
9th January 2009, 05:39
i am planning to take lessons in driving........

Hi Ann,

Just remember this below, can be same advice for motorists:

Advice given to Royal Air Force pilots during World War II: 'When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible.'

aromulus
9th January 2009, 07:37
Hi Ann,
endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible.'

Dog................... 1 point
Cat.....................3 point
Kid......................5 points
Fox......................20 points
Pensioner..............25 points
Female adult..........30 points
Male adult..............40 points......:omg:

mhynne
9th January 2009, 08:00
I also drove here in the UK with my one year driving license.. it runs out this saturday... unfortunately i havent passed my practical test yet.. ive failed twice... :Brick::Brick::Brick:
my third test will be next tuesday so hopefully i pass it!
its hard going to work...

i suggest never underestimate the practical test here.. i know i have... ive been driving for 10 years in manila... since i was 18...but still i failed... 10 years of bad driving habits i guess... :NoNo:

kimmi
9th January 2009, 13:59

Goodluck sis Mhynne, i am sure u can make it this time..
:xxgrinning--00xx3::D

mhynne
9th January 2009, 20:09
Thanks sis kimmi... yeah fingers crossed... im definitely going to mass this weekend!

joebloggs
10th January 2009, 02:08
I also drove here in the UK with my one year driving license.. it runs out this saturday... unfortunately i havent passed my practical test yet.. ive failed twice... :Brick::Brick::Brick:

i suggest never underestimate the practical test here.. i know i have... ive been driving for 10 years in manila... since i was 18...but still i failed... 10 years of bad driving habits i guess... :NoNo:

:D

oh my smilies are working :Erm:
my misses had been driving for nearly 20yrs in the phils, when she came to the uk, she told me she was a good driver, soon as she got in the car, she got it stuck against the wall in the garden :yikes::Brick:

and it took her 7 times to pass her practical test, but to be fair to her, some of her fails were not her fault, some times you need a bit of luck to go your way :rolleyes:

7th time some idiot cut her up half way thru her test nearly causing a crash, the instructor gave her a couple of mins to calm down, and said did she want to stop the test or carry on, knees shaking she said no way she was stopping, shaken up she carried on, fearing she had failed, but passed, so even if you think you've failed carry on, you never know :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mhynne
11th January 2009, 17:08
heheh yeah i do remember your post about your wife's experience in acquiring a driving license.. i honestly do remember that post a lot whenever i think about my own test...

i do believe driving in the uk and the philippines is really different...
cant imagine how many people driving in their foreign licenses right now.. that dont know how to go around the round about... :NoNo:

DianaKevy
11th January 2009, 17:12
I applied for provisionary driving license and it cost me £50. Visit www.dvla.gov.uk

hello fhars did u apply your license online?

singkit
11th January 2009, 21:59
:omg: If mhynne's been driving since she was 18 and failed 3 times and joebloggs' wife driving in Phils for 20 years and failed 6 times...I guess I have a very thin chance of passing it since I never drive a car at all. :doh Oh yeah ,I remember driving a car in my dreams and crashed it against the wall:Brick::Brick: Thanks God it was just a dream:icon_lol:

joebloggs
11th January 2009, 22:11
:omg: If mhynne's been driving since she was 18 and failed 3 times and joebloggs' wife driving in Phils for 20 years and failed 6 times...I guess I have a very thin chance of passing it since I never drive a car at all. :doh Oh yeah ,I remember driving a car in my dreams and crashed it against the wall:Brick::Brick: Thanks God it was just a dream:icon_lol:

no, not always , maybe they both had picked up bad driving habits and it took along time for them to forget them :rolleyes:, like i said some of my wifes fails were down to bad luck, how the driving test instructor felt, where you take the test - some places have a higher 1st time pass rate than others !, what time you take the test, how you feel that day, who else is on the road when you take your test etc :D

darren-b
11th January 2009, 23:13

Personally I think it is an advantage not too have driven in the Philippines as it's too easy to have bad driving habits and be too confident. Just make sure you get a good driving instructor (often not sensible to get your husband to teach you..).

mhynne
12th January 2009, 08:24
yeah joebloggs and darren B are very true, singkit..
it took me a lot of practice to be able to get all my bad habits out...
and of course all the factors that surrounds you when you are doing the test...
esp now that its winter.. roads are slippery and it gets dark quite early...

singkit
12th January 2009, 18:01
Oh Wow! That's very encouraging! Thanks Joebloggs, Darrenb & Mhynne for keeping my hopes up:)
BTW, is it ok to file my first provisionary licence at this time even if I only been in the UK for 2years?
I visited dvla websites and it requires applicants to provide addresses of where we have lived over the
last three years:Erm:

darren-b
12th January 2009, 18:53
Oh Wow! That's very encouraging! Thanks Joebloggs, Darrenb & Mhynne for keeping my hopes up:)
BTW, is it ok to file my first provisionary licence at this time even if I only been in the UK for 2years?
I visited dvla websites and it requires applicants to provide addresses of where we have lived over the

You might not be able to apply online, but you can definitely apply for a provisional licence. My wife had only been in the UK for about 8 months when she applied for her provisional licence and she got her full licence before she for ILR.

kimmi
12th January 2009, 19:37

I've applied my provisionary license last year right after i got my FLR and got it within a week..:D

i am sure no matter how hard their practical exam in here we can surely make it, just practice and practice and practice..

goodluck to all of us..:Hellooo::BouncyHappy:

joebloggs
13th January 2009, 00:20

yes and also the DVLA tell the border agency if they find overstayers applying for driving licenses or if they think the passport or visa is fake :D

singkit
13th January 2009, 11:33
Wow! Thanks! This is why I love this site.
So many friendly and helpful people. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
God Bless, everyone!:smileybigtmouth:

mhynne
13th January 2009, 20:59
im happy to say i have indeed passed my test earlier!
I was so happy i hugged the instructor and cried.... hehehe
thank you guys for your support...

jta
13th January 2009, 22:39
congrats mhynne!!

I'm planning to apply for provisional driving license. Is there any expiration date of that license? I mean if i can't have a lesson right after getting the license or can't take the test right away is there a duration period like in Philippines student driving is valid for 3 months only?

bornatbirth
13th January 2009, 23:12
in the uk the provisional license was 2 years before you need to take your test,that was a few years ago so it may of changed now but theres no point in getting one until you want to start taking a few lessons and take the test anyway.

for anyone already driving in the philipines i recommend getting a few driving lessons here,my wife as picked up to many bad habits before i let in my car,she already as a international license.

is there a highway code in the philipines because i dont think anyone uses it :Cuckoo:

one of my wifes bad habits is being unable to read a map :icon_lol: she will drive near where shes going and ask someone,then drive there and ask again and again and again even with the map in front of her,i was telling her where to go and she still kept trying to go in another direction :doh

PeterB
14th January 2009, 04:20
is there a highway code in the philipines because i dont think anyone uses it :Cuckoo:

I'm told that it's called "Road and Highway Code", but I've been unable to locate a copy.

one of my wifes bad habits is being unable to read a map :icon_lol: she will drive near where shes going and ask someone,then drive there and ask again and again and again even with the map in front of her,i was telling her where to go and she still kept trying to go in another direction :doh

Well, with the lack of decent maps here, that's how most pinoys learn to navigate. I was most surprised when I went with Ruby's family to visit her uncle. He only lives about 2 or 3 miles away, but we had to stop and ask directions several times before we reached his house.

mhynne
14th January 2009, 08:29
hello sis jta.. yeah 2 years for the provisional license... although you still have to take the theory test before you can do a practical test... the validity of the theory test is also two years..

darren-b
14th January 2009, 09:02
in the uk the provisional license was 2 years before you need to take your test,that was a few years ago so it may of changed now but theres no point in getting one until you want to start taking a few lessons and take the test anyway.

The only point of getting a provisional license a while before learning to drive is that it's easy to obtain, and then it's a good form of ID to use if you want to open bank accounts, etc.

bornatbirth
14th January 2009, 10:03
Well, with the lack of decent maps here, that's how most pinoys learn to navigate. I was most surprised when I went with Ruby's family to visit her uncle. He only lives about 2 or 3 miles away, but we had to stop and ask directions several times before we reached his house.

my wife as a road map of manila with every street and street name on it,when my wife looks at it her mind goes blank so how will she will cope whens shes here already.

even with satnav she will get lost :icon_lol:

i have a feeling shes going to phoning me up saying im lost when shes 2 streets from the house :Erm:

singkit
14th January 2009, 19:35
:icon_lol:
even with satnav she will get lost :icon_lol:
i have a feeling shes going to phoning me up saying im lost when shes 2 streets from the house :Erm:

This is the very reason why my hubby is skeptic about me learning to drive:icon_lol: But, how will I know if I don't try?:Erm:

Congrats, mhynne. You finally did it! :appl:

kentish
25th January 2009, 23:36
In fairness to Filipino drivers, they are braver and less intimidated when in comes to driving abroad, driving in another country is easier for them compare to the Philippine traffic they got used to which is always highly congested. Foreigners (drivers and passengers alike) in the Philippines are scared sh*tless from all the honking, bumper to bumper "gitgitan", and lane cutting Filipino drivers are known for.

No wonder when my neighbors saw me driving alone in our car w/o instructor,that same day in the afternoon they parked their cars on their driveway:):)... still stall the car many times esp at rounabouts,very embarassing.

anngrimes78@msn
28th March 2009, 21:38
thanks guys for all the advice..
its indeed very helpful!

ljarvis
29th March 2009, 19:28
after you passed the theory test you have 2 years to pass your practical test and if you dont pass within 2 years you will have to take the theory test again. and after you passed the practical driving test you will receive your full driving license within 21 days. and i recommend you take the bsm driving lesson they are very good.

goodluck