PDA

View Full Version : Loboc River

amyburple
16th September 2008, 15:14
For many years, it has been on our wish-list, and this time our program would finally include a trip on one of the well-known floating restaurants on Loboc River.

We arrived in Tagbilaran early in the morning to meet with some guests arriving from Manila. Their flight got delayed somewhat, so we took the opportunity to first visit the Casa Rocha-Suarez, an ancestral family house in Tagbilaran, which was recently (April 2005) opened as a museum. This house, over a century old, had been restored, and now houses several historical artifacts that relate about the previous owners, and give an impression of upper-middle class life in the late Spanish and early American era. Particularly nice are the window shades, carefully made from shells in a wooden frame. These frames can slide aside to let in fresh air, or block sunlight, as the time of the day dictates.
After some time, our guests arrived, and we left for Loboc, where the floating restaurant would depart. This is a easy 30 minute ride, which passes through Barangay Bool, where you can see the Sandugo Monument, and Baclayon, which has one of the nicest old churches in Bohol, and a small museum with old church relics. If you look at your right hand side while driving to Baclayon, you can also see a very big Balite tree.
In Loboc we first visited the church. The parish church of Loboc is certainly worth the visit, and has several attractive murals on the its ceilings. Attached to the church is the old convent, which is unique in its three-story design. Nowadays, the convent serves as the parish office, but also houses a small museum, and, when lucky, you can hear the famous Loboc Childrens Choir (http://www.bohol.ph/article76.html) practice here. The basement of the convent houses a small exhibition dedicated to the musical history of Loboc, and the various prizes won by the Choir are on display here as well. You can buy CDs of the choir at the entrance of the museum.
The Loboc church lies adjacent to the Loboc River, close to a concrete bridge to nowhere that has become a monument to wasteful planning and corruption in Bohol. The bridge is not complete, and to complete it, the centuries old Loboc church will need to be demolished. Luckily, that has been avoided. Rumour has it that this bridge was actually never to be build at all, but should serve as a cover-up for some scheme to funnel public money to private hands. Somehow, the scheme was thwarted, and the bridge got actually build... The best thing that can be done is demolish it, but that would again cost another 50 million pesos of public money.
Near the church is also the departure place of the floating restaurants. These floating restaurants consists of two banka-hulls, over which a large wooden platform is placed. On this platform, numerous tables are placed, and a band plays music. Different boats play different styles of music, so, if you make a careful choice, you can dine with your favourite music. On our boat, they were playing mostly popular jazz and blues style music, which, although you would expect it on the Mississippi, was definitely not out of place here as well.
As the boat takes of, the buffet begins. On the middle table all kinds of Philippine delicacies are presented, and while eating, you can enjoy the lush green landscape slowly sliding along your table. The small outboard engine works hard to move the vessel against the current. Life along the river side goes on as it must have done for centuries, with children swimming, people passing by in small bankas or canoes. On certain points along the trip, daring kids climb in a large coconut tree overhanging the river, and jump in the water very close to the floating restaurant.

alicat
16th September 2008, 16:23
we been there 2 years ago...its a great experience

aposhark
16th September 2008, 16:35
For many years, it has been on our wish-list, and this time our program would finally include a trip on one of the well-known floating restaurants on Loboc River.

We arrived in Tagbilaran early in the morning to meet with some guests arriving from Manila. Their flight got delayed somewhat, so we took the opportunity to first visit the Casa Rocha-Suarez, an ancestral family house in Tagbilaran, which was recently (April 2005) opened as a museum. This house, over a century old, had been restored, and now houses several historical artifacts that relate about the previous owners, and give an impression of upper-middle class life in the late Spanish and early American era. Particularly nice are the window shades, carefully made from shells in a wooden frame. These frames can slide aside to let in fresh air, or block sunlight, as the time of the day dictates.
After some time, our guests arrived, and we left for Loboc, where the floating restaurant would depart. This is a easy 30 minute ride, which passes through Barangay Bool, where you can see the Sandugo Monument, and Baclayon, which has one of the nicest old churches in Bohol, and a small museum with old church relics. If you look at your right hand side while driving to Baclayon, you can also see a very big Balite tree.
In Loboc we first visited the church. The parish church of Loboc is certainly worth the visit, and has several attractive murals on the its ceilings. Attached to the church is the old convent, which is unique in its three-story design. Nowadays, the convent serves as the parish office, but also houses a small museum, and, when lucky, you can hear the famous Loboc Childrens Choir (http://www.bohol.ph/article76.html) practice here. The basement of the convent houses a small exhibition dedicated to the musical history of Loboc, and the various prizes won by the Choir are on display here as well. You can buy CDs of the choir at the entrance of the museum.
The Loboc church lies adjacent to the Loboc River, close to a concrete bridge to nowhere that has become a monument to wasteful planning and corruption in Bohol. The bridge is not complete, and to complete it, the centuries old Loboc church will need to be demolished. Luckily, that has been avoided. Rumour has it that this bridge was actually never to be build at all, but should serve as a cover-up for some scheme to funnel public money to private hands. Somehow, the scheme was thwarted, and the bridge got actually build... The best thing that can be done is demolish it, but that would again cost another 50 million pesos of public money.
Near the church is also the departure place of the floating restaurants. These floating restaurants consists of two banka-hulls, over which a large wooden platform is placed. On this platform, numerous tables are placed, and a band plays music. Different boats play different styles of music, so, if you make a careful choice, you can dine with your favourite music. On our boat, they were playing mostly popular jazz and blues style music, which, although you would expect it on the Mississippi, was definitely not out of place here as well.
As the boat takes of, the buffet begins. On the middle table all kinds of Philippine delicacies are presented, and while eating, you can enjoy the lush green landscape slowly sliding along your table. The small outboard engine works hard to move the vessel against the current. Life along the river side goes on as it must have done for centuries, with children swimming, people passing by in small bankas or canoes. On certain points along the trip, daring kids climb in a large coconut tree overhanging the river, and jump in the water very close to the floating restaurant.

Hi amyburple :)
Any chance you could post in black?
I have trouble seeing the text when it is in red.

amyburple
16th September 2008, 18:20

OK hehehehe...:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
16th September 2008, 18:25
we been there 2 years ago...its a great experience

yea really really nice :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Gavanddal
18th September 2008, 13:23
Four years ago we went there. We didn't go on the river but ate at the restaurant overlooking the river. We hired a taxi for the day to tour Bohol which cost us £20. We also bought lunch at the restaurant for our driver.
The restaurant was quite empty but there was loads of food there.

amyburple
18th September 2008, 13:39
Four years ago we went there. We didn't go on the river but ate at the restaurant overlooking the river. We hired a taxi for the day to tour Bohol which cost us £20. We also bought lunch at the restaurant for our driver.
The restaurant was quite empty but there was loads of food there.

20 pounds for whole day tour? We paid 2500 maximum of 4 people...thats for 8 hours tour, that's the package in the HOTEL.. We ate lunch on the boat bad timing it turn out not good coz there delay :doh:NoNo:...

kimmi
18th September 2008, 15:32

I second the motion..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

amyburple
18th September 2008, 17:53
looks really relaxing n peaceful!

correct hehehe...nice view also :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Gavanddal
18th September 2008, 18:31
20 pounds for whole day tour? We paid 2500 maximum of 4 people...thats for 8 hours tour, that's the package in the HOTEL.. We ate lunch on the boat bad timing it turn out not good coz there delay :doh:NoNo:...

2500 Pesos? We paid £20 when the rate was about 104 Pesos to the £. We arranged it directly with the driver. We enjoyed the tour, just the two of us.

aposhark
19th September 2008, 15:01
July 2008.
Rochelyn & I stayed at a little place called "Nuts Huts" on the Loboc River.
There were a few wooden houses near the river and we could hear the songs from the boats as we were settling in for the night. Most songs were of the crooning variety.

Rochelyn said she would never go back to "Nuts Huts" as there were so many steps to climb up and down.
Her legs were shaking all night, and I thought it was me :omg:
I was carrying all the heavy bags and don't know how I made it to the bottom :NoNo::NoNo:

Be careful getting on or off any boat there.
The river leaves a very slippery sludge on the landing piers and many people have gone "bottom over chest" :doh :cwm24::Help1:

I remember all the wildlife that you can hear as you drift off into slumber.
The thousands of insects and animals that communicate as the sun goes down was great.
The big spiders in the houses on stilts were quiet though, and Rochelyn wasn't afraid.

No TV, but who needs TV when you are in love.

amyburple
20th September 2008, 13:32
Rochelyn & I stayed at a little place called "Nuts Huts" on the Loboc River.
There were a few wooden houses near the river and we could here the songs from the boats as we were settling in for the night. Most were of the crooning variety.

Rochelyn said she would never go back to "Nuts Huts" as there were so many steps to climb up and down.
Her legs were shaking all night, and I thought it was me :omg:

Be careful getting on or off any boat there.
The river leaves a very slippery sludge on the landing piers and many people have gone "bottom over chest" :doh :cwm24::Help1:

I remember all the wildlife that you can here as you drift off into slumber.
The thousands of insects and animals that communicate as the sun goes down was great.
The big spiders in the houses on stilts were quiet though, and Rochelyn wasn't afraid.

ohhhh what an unforgetable experience hehehehe :):):)... It was my first time too with my girl friends it was nice but that time the managment of tht food they serve the food late and the boat run late too duuuuuu :doh:doh:doh