PDA

View Full Version : British National Living in the Netherlands...

janyen
14th September 2008, 16:52
hi ALL, :BouncyHappy:

I'm YEN from the Philippines and I just got married to a british national living in the Netherlands for almost 10 years. I would like to ask if I as a wife need to take the Dutch Languange Exam to live and stay in the Netherlands with my husband? Hope to hear from you...

aromulus
14th September 2008, 17:24

I'm YEN from the Philippines and I just got married to a british national living in the Netherlands for almost 10 years. I would like to ask if I as a wife need to take the Dutch Languange Exam to live and stay in the Netherlands with my husband? Hope to hear from you...

Chances are that you will have to take the exam at some stage......:NoNo:

janyen
14th September 2008, 17:36
I think only if I will take a dutch passport. Have you known of somebody from this site that has the same situation with mine? Thanks!

kimmi
14th September 2008, 17:42
hi yen, welcome to the forum..I am glad u're a member here now..:)

A_flyer
14th September 2008, 17:50
I would like to ask if I as a wife need to take the Dutch Languange Exam to live and stay in the Netherlands with my husband?
Hi Yen, welcome to the forum.

The only Filipina I know there are living or married with a Dutch national. I don't know any in your case.

I would think that you do not need this exam, but anyway you need to know Dutch language for everyday use or working there... (they have a strange accent when speaking English there...).

Are you already settled in the Netherlands or still in the Philippines? In fact I would like to know if you need to request a visa or if you already have a residency card (I will not give the same answer depending on your situation).

For a beginning ave a look on the Dutch Immigration Administration web site: http://www.ind.nl/EN/

janyen
15th September 2008, 11:26
Hi Yen, welcome to the forum.

The only Filipina I know there are living or married with a Dutch national. I don't know any in your case.

I would think that you do not need this exam, but anyway you need to know Dutch language for everyday use or working there... (they have a strange accent when speaking English there...).

Are you already settled in the Netherlands or still in the Philippines? In fact I would like to know if you need to request a visa or if you already have a residency card (I will not give the same answer depending on your situation).

For a beginning ave a look on the Dutch Immigration Administration web site: http://www.ind.nl/EN/

Hi,
Thanks for writing back. It feels great to hear from you that I don't have to take this exam (this is what we are trying to figure out with my husband) but we know that I also need to know their language so that I can mingle with the people in the society.

I am still here in Philippines, just got married last May of this year. We are working on with the requirements of my schengen visa as tourist this coming October.

PeterB
15th September 2008, 16:55
I wish that I could get by here with Dutch ... I'm struggling a little with Visayan!

A_flyer
15th September 2008, 18:54
Hi,
Thanks for writing back. It feels great to hear from you that I don't have to take this exam (this is what we are trying to figure out with my husband) but we know that I also need to know their language so that I can mingle with the people in the society.

I am still here in Philippines, just got married last May of this year. We are working on with the requirements of my schengen visa as tourist this coming October.
Ah you're too quick to be happy...

As you're in the Philippines and you need a reunification visa, you're submitted in this to Dutch immigration laws and not British laws. So like someone married to a Dutch man, you will need the Dutch exam. You have to confirm this with the Dutch Embassy anyway.
Their website is here: http://www.netherlandsembassy.ph

Apart the Embassy in Manila, they have a consulate in Cebu where you may find infos.

For learning Dutch, they may give advise too. For example in Manila, you can go to AFCL and in Cebu to CMLI. Anyway it's less expensive to learn it in the Philippines than in Europe...

jimeve
15th September 2008, 21:21

Hello Yen, welcome to the forum, my sister-in-law from Bohol married to a
dutch man living in Netherlands.
She has to take the Dutch language exam, but she has been living in Netherlands for over ten years and still not took the test.
very difficult language to learn.

Jim :)

A_flyer
15th September 2008, 21:57
Hello Yen, welcome to the forum, my sister-in-law from Bohol married to a dutch man living in Netherlands.
She has to take the Dutch language exam, but she has been living in Netherlands for over ten years and still not took the test.
very difficult language to learn.
Sorry Jim, but you answer is not accurate. There were a lot of change since 10 years in immigration laws there as in most European countries...

To get a reunification visa to the Netherlands, you NEED to pass abroad the Civic Integration Examination.

Extracts from the Dutch Immigration administration site:
As of 15 March 2006, a number of foreign nationals who wish to come to the Netherlands for a longer period [over 3 months] and require a provisional residence permit must now take the civic integration examination abroad. This examination tests candidates’ basic knowledge of the Dutch language and of Dutch society. This takes place before the foreign national comes to the Netherlands.

Who is required to take the examination?

Any person aged between 18 and 65 years who wishes to reside in the Netherlands for a longer period [over 3 months] and who is required to apply for a provisional residence permit must take a civic integration examination abroad. This applies in the case of a marriage or relationship, but also to children aged 18 years or over. Individuals with a spiritual profession, such as imams or members of the clergy, who are coming to work in the Netherlands must take the civic integration examination abroad. A number of groups of people are exempt from the obligation to take the civic integration examination abroad. It may be that a foreign national is unable to take the civic integration examination abroad because he or she has a severe physical or psychological problem. In this case he or she may request an exemption.

Preparation

In order to prepare for the examination, the foreign national must gain an understanding of the Dutch language and knowledge of Dutch society. It is up to the foreign national to decide how he or she wishes to prepare for the examination. The government will not set any rules in this respect, nor will it provide any courses. A practice pack has however been compiled. Practice packs can be purchased for a sum of €63.90 at bookshops in the Netherlands and via various booksellers on the internet. The sponsor in the Netherlands can purchase this pack and send it to the foreign national.
The pack consists of: a film about the Netherlands on DVD or video; a booklet with photos from the film, a CD containing all of the questions that may arise during the ‘Knowledge of Dutch Society’ examination, three Dutch language mock examinations that can be used in order to practice at home, and an instruction leaflet explaining how to use the pack. The foreign national can use this practice pack to prepare for the civic integration examination abroad. In addition, a great deal of teaching material is available in the Netherlands, some of which can also be used for self-study. The person living in the Netherlands who wants the foreign national to come to the Netherlands can forward these teaching materials to the foreign national. More information about the practice pack can be found at www.naarnederland.nl (http://www.naarnederland.nl/).

janyen
16th September 2008, 11:43
Hi,
I let my husband read this forum too, and he told me that as I am married to a British citizen living in The Netherlands, I do not have to take the civic intergration examination abroad.

This is a quote that my husband sent me from one of the forms.
Civic Intergration Examination Abroad:-
the foreighn national is not required to take the civic intergration examination abroad as he/she wishes to come to the Netherlands to stay as a family member with a holder of a permanent or temporary asylum residence permit, or to stay with an EU citizen.........etc.etc

So now we are working on getting a resident permit for me to stay withmy husband :BouncyHappy:

A_flyer
16th September 2008, 11:49
I didn't saw it in the exemption list (I checked again, not seen also). So better to be verified with the Embassy or Consulate to be 100% sure. Cross-checking is always important in immigration process.

janyen
16th September 2008, 22:05
This is the site where the information is from

http://www.ind.nl/en/Images/5003_ENG_tcm6-594.pdf

And look at section 4, Civic Intergration Examination Abroad.

It was also confirmed by the IND and the Dutch Embassy here in the Philippines.

A_flyer
17th September 2008, 05:38
It was also confirmed by the IND and the Dutch Embassy here in the Philippines.
That's perfect so.

Anyway, I highly request you in waiting the visa process to enroll in Dutch Language training in the Philippines just to at least get the basis of the language. It's really less expensive there than trainings in Europe, and you will not be lost in everyday life. It's always easier to be able to get explanations in it's own language when we do not understand. My Wife did it (for French) and it was very useful.

jimeve
17th September 2008, 16:39
Sorry Jim, but you answer is not accurate. There were a lot of change since 10 years in immigration laws there as in most European countries...

To get a reunification visa to the Netherlands, you NEED to pass abroad the Civic Integration Examination.

Extracts from the Dutch Immigration administration site:
As of 15 March 2006, a number of foreign nationals who wish to come to the Netherlands for a longer period [over 3 months] and require a provisional residence permit must now take the civic integration examination abroad. This examination tests candidates’ basic knowledge of the Dutch language and of Dutch society. This takes place before the foreign national comes to the Netherlands.

Who is required to take the examination?

Any person aged between 18 and 65 years who wishes to reside in the Netherlands for a longer period [over 3 months] and who is required to apply for a provisional residence permit must take a civic integration examination abroad. This applies in the case of a marriage or relationship, but also to children aged 18 years or over. Individuals with a spiritual profession, such as imams or members of the clergy, who are coming to work in the Netherlands must take the civic integration examination abroad. A number of groups of people are exempt from the obligation to take the civic integration examination abroad. It may be that a foreign national is unable to take the civic integration examination abroad because he or she has a severe physical or psychological problem. In this case he or she may request an exemption.

Preparation

In order to prepare for the examination, the foreign national must gain an understanding of the Dutch language and knowledge of Dutch society. It is up to the foreign national to decide how he or she wishes to prepare for the examination. The government will not set any rules in this respect, nor will it provide any courses. A practice pack has however been compiled. Practice packs can be purchased for a sum of €63.90 at bookshops in the Netherlands and via various booksellers on the internet. The sponsor in the Netherlands can purchase this pack and send it to the foreign national.
The pack consists of: a film about the Netherlands on DVD or video; a booklet with photos from the film, a CD containing all of the questions that may arise during the ‘Knowledge of Dutch Society’ examination, three Dutch language mock examinations that can be used in order to practice at home, and an instruction leaflet explaining how to use the pack. The foreign national can use this practice pack to prepare for the civic integration examination abroad. In addition, a great deal of teaching material is available in the Netherlands, some of which can also be used for self-study. The person living in the Netherlands who wants the foreign national to come to the Netherlands can forward these teaching materials to the foreign national. More information about the practice pack can be found at www.naarnederland.nl (http://www.naarnederland.nl/).

Don't understand this, she says she has to take the exam.

have you read my post accurately.

Jim.

A_flyer
17th September 2008, 20:31
Don't understand this, she says she has to take the exam.

have you read my post accurately.

Jim.
Jim, you were talking of someone already in the Netherlands for 10 years. Since March 15, 2006 the immmigration laws in the Netherlands have changed (your friend goes thru the visa story 10 years ago, it's too old to be accurate). They required from this date that you pass and succeed the MVV exam abroad before getting the visa. It was not the case before.

For the case of Janyen, she don't need the exam as married to a E.U. resident and not a Dutch national. Anyway the Dutch IND site is not that clear as it's not stated in the exemption, but only in the application form.