PDA

View Full Version : coping with the british weather

chris40
6th September 2008, 23:44
i spoke to my g/f on the fone today and after asking her how she was ,she replied she was cold !!!
nothing strange about that if she was in uk.
unfortunately not, she is in cavite , being an honest person with nothing to hide from her i quickly told her she would experiance the real meaning of cold over here .

that got me wondering how other people coped with the change of climate at first. and wether they found it a huge problem.

i found the heat and beautiful blue skys in the phils naturaly put me in a good mood.
quite the opposite to the cloudy ,steely grey skys, constant rain and cold in this country.
i,d be interested to hear peoples first hand experiance of this.

andypaul
6th September 2008, 23:58
The cold (well down here in london) the Wife got used to and now seems to cope with better than me.

One thing when a person moves over form Phill i feel is important to watch out for is gloom and lack of natural sunlight. If your feeling a little low at points due to home sickness and what not it could be the final straw.

I countered this by getting daylight light bulbs which made a difference to us both.

Also making sure the person from phill gets used to keeping warm with more layers rather than boosting the heating is a challange for some it seems. At first she was wearing phill/uk summer wear in the house which is just not practical in a uk winter as you know with the cost of engery.

vbkelly
6th September 2008, 23:59
i spoke to my g/f on the fone today and after asking her how she was ,she replied she was cold !!!
nothing strange about that if she was in uk.
unfortunately not, she is in cavite , being an honest person with nothing to hide from her i quickly told her she would experiance the real meaning of cold over here .

that got me wondering how other people coped with the change of climate at first. and wether they found it a huge problem.

i found the heat and beautiful blue skys in the phils naturaly put me in a good mood.
quite the opposite to the cloudy ,steely grey skys, constant rain and cold in this country.

first winter here in Uk i was alright

maria_and_matt
7th September 2008, 00:16
my first winter was not so bad, she will quickly adjust to the weather here... lots of thin layers did it for me...

doonat
7th September 2008, 00:43
got used to the cold weather of Baguio City and the rest of the Cordillera Region where temp ranges from 8-24 deg celsius. but coming here in uk is way different coz women and the weather have the same mood swings :icon_lol: today might be gloomy, but later it might be sunny or windy, raining or foggy....

used to hate the sun back in the phils coz it burns my skin and causes uneven discoloration, but here i wish that everyday will be a sunny day. now i'm lookin forward to the winter season...

andypaul
7th September 2008, 00:44
i used to compalin about the AC in phill it was to dam cold lol.

The coldest I have ever felt in my entire life was the first night i spent at my wifes lolas house they put us up in a small sealed room with a serious AC unit.

jbt
7th September 2008, 01:56
ive arrived here in uk during winter season (g:Rasp: snow) got colds for almost a year but after 2 years got used to it ( i guess :cwm24:)...lots of vitamin c

cold weather tends to make you feel low and depressed esp. w/ rains (and makes you feel lazy too), try make yourself busy all the time :)..i guess, it's a good thing if you have a job...

:)

KeithD
7th September 2008, 09:15
Rain & cold makes me very happy :BouncyHappy: It keeps people inside so they buy more off the Net :icon_lol:

tomoboyle2000
7th September 2008, 09:26
I think we will all have to get used to the cold a bit more now thanks to our beloved energy companys, Its the pensioners I feel sorry for.

chris40
7th September 2008, 09:38
thats a point about the energy companys, i think a quick conversion ,pounds to pesos will make my g/f be a bit conservative with the heating..good idea about the daylight lightbulbs ,i,ve never heard of them.
i see what you mean about the a/c too.
i was freezing on those busses in the philippines.

Ann07
7th September 2008, 09:58
When i arrived in the uk and landed in the airport for the first time it was so windy and freezin cold:doh:cwm34: My husband brought me a warm thick coat:xxgrinning--00xx3: Honestly, the first few months i couldnt hardly move because of the cold:icon_lol: But now im ok plus my baby always keeps me busy having this cold weather:Cuckoo::cwm3::cwm12:

Your g/f will eventually adjust to the weather:D
Goodluck:)

joebloggs
7th September 2008, 10:53
got used to the cold weather of Baguio City and the rest of the Cordillera Region where temp ranges from 8-24 deg celsius. .

when i went to Baguio it was freezing there, my misses like the weather here :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
7th September 2008, 12:08
Although it seems daft now getting the wife used to uk temperatures was helped by using the AC so it felt like a fridge, it helped the Wife or at least her body get used to the Idea that a body could be in an enviroment that cold.

It was that or sit her in the fridge.

With regards daylight bulbs although not ideal for serious cases are worth investing in. We used them at work back 03-04 and made such a difference that i bought some when the Wife came over.
no scientfic data or research but a gut feeling that it made a difference. Particularly te first winter and on days as we are having now with all the gloom

Mrs Daddy
7th September 2008, 12:20

what an english weather hey:D

Geraldine
7th September 2008, 13:45
UK weather is usually cold, gloomy and raining...thats why most people feel depressed :(

KeithD
7th September 2008, 15:08
UK weather is usually cold, gloomy and raining...thats why most people feel depressed :(
I'm never depressed.....well maybe for 2 minutes after the 3:45 at Newmarket.....but it usually goes after the 3:50 at Fontwell :D

doonat
7th September 2008, 15:19

so cold now and the boiler is broken and foot nails appear to be grayish :NoNo: but good thing they have this fake fire place that blows warm air... :icon_lol:

andypaul
7th September 2008, 15:55
I'm never depressed.....well maybe for 2 minutes after the 3:45 at Newmarket.....but it usually goes after the 3:50 at Fontwell :D

Watching robbie Keane this season will leave you like that one mintue air kicks the next a goal(well you never know):D

flomike
7th September 2008, 16:26
when I first arrived here it was last week of Sept when the plane about to land at heathrow the pilot said its 5degrees outside I am panicking already as I never experience that before as Im used to 35degrees everyday.

well, after 5 years I would say Im used to the cold weather now what I hate about the winter is the daily light is too short and Im waiting at the bus stop at 5pm going home from work and its really dark:NoNo:

walesrob
7th September 2008, 16:36
Rain & cold makes me very happy :BouncyHappy: It keeps people inside:icon_lol:

..so you get a clear run of the car radios and hubcaps? :Erm:

andypaul
7th September 2008, 16:39
when I first arrived here it was last week of Sept when the plane about to land at heathrow the pilot said its 5degrees outside I am panicking already as I never experience that before as Im used to 35degrees everyday.

well, after 5 years I would say Im used to the cold weather now what I hate about the winter is the daily light is too short and Im waiting at the bus stop at 5pm going home from work and its really dark:NoNo:

Never changes but the UK is great for a lazy summer afterrnoon/evening when its light till ten at night:D

Phill freaked me out that it was dark so early. My head saying hang on its summer but its 6pm and dark:Erm:

Ana_may365
7th September 2008, 18:40
it was feb.6/06 when i arrive here.and it is very very cold coz its winter time and we have snow.this is my first time to see the snow and all my entire life.i act like a kid who make a snow ball and my hubby take a picture of me.we play like a kids also throwing snowball to each other.i wear 4 shirts and sweater and then my coat,2 jeans[maong],2 socks,when we go out to go to our garden to feed and clean the cree of our pigeons[feed and give some water for them]:):):)but now im i used to it :REDancedancer08:

Sim11UK
7th September 2008, 20:04
got used to the cold weather of Baguio City and the rest of the Cordillera Region where temp ranges from 8-24 deg celsius.

Might be going to Baguio City, in a few weeks?...Better take my vest. :)

chris40
7th September 2008, 21:01
yes , i felt conned when i went to bagiou city because my work colleage who visits the philippines regularly told me it was roasting hot wherever i went to over there.

he lied!! i thought bagiou was like an autumn day in the uk ( a bit too cold for shorts and t shirt)
i could,nt wait to head down south to the sunshine.
cracking views though at mines view park.

doonat
7th September 2008, 22:16
Might be going to Baguio City, in a few weeks?...Better take my vest. :)

lunch time is quite hot though... and dont be dismayed by the towering trash throughout the city :omg: (i just hope they have resolved it already being the "basura capital")....

what i enjoyed here in uk is the fresh air and the almost zero emission in cars compared in the phils. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aug06_2006
9th September 2008, 15:00
Ohhh God! when my first time arrived here i was shakin because too cold.. It was summer season then cold hehehe! me was laughing of my hubby... And I was happy bcoz he bought an electric bedding to keep me warm.

KeithD
9th September 2008, 16:52
I've been here 42 years and still not used to it :)

sam_althea
9th September 2008, 23:34
thank God for the cold weather here...it stopped me using Likas Papaya, which is expensive for me to buy....now i want to use tanning lotion, it's cheaper!!