PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Food - We tell you how to prepare !

ginapeterb
30th August 2004, 14:40
Shortly over next few weeks, we will be talking about various national dishes of the Philippines.

How to prepare them and hope to recieve some input from the Philippines about this, for our cultural and Food section on this Forum.

Please join in if you have serious contributions to make including recipes for national dishes.

Thanks

Pete and Gina

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 20:31
2 Beef Adobo
lbs Beef
2.1/4
cups Water
1/2
cup Soy sauce
1/2
cup Distilled white vinegar
cloves Crushed garlic
1/2
tsp Pepper
1/4
cup Sugar

Preparation
Dice your meat into small cubes, mix in other ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 60 minutes, or until beef is tender.
Serve with rice and Adobo sauce.

Servings: 4

Adobo Sauce

3 lg Chipotle peppers
Dried Pasilla chilis
1/4
cup Peanut, or olive oil
1/4
Onions
cloves Chopped garlic
1/2
tsp Dried Oregano
1/4
tsp Ground cumin
1/2
tsp Pepper
1.1/2
tsp Sugar

Preparation
Soak the Chipotle and Pasilla Chiles in hot water for about 15 minutes, then drain 3/4 of the water, and add all the other ingredients, save for the oil, vinegar and sugar. Puree with a hand blender and pour the the mix into a saucepan and stir-fry in oil for a few minutes, then add vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the mixture achieves the desired consistency.

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 20:32
How to Prepare Beef Tapa

2.1/2
lbs Thinly sliced beef
head Macerated garlic
3/4
1/4
cup Sugar
tbsp Salt
tbsp Freshly ground pepper

Preparation
Marinate the meat in the ingredients for at least 12 hours, then sun dry the slices.
These are best served fried.

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 20:33
Beef and Pork Sinigang

lbs Beef, cut in pieces
1/2
lbs Pork, cut in pieces
Ripe tomatoes
Chopped radishes
1/2
cups Tamarind fruit
cups Kangkong leaves
cups Rice Water
1/4
tsp Patis
1/2
tsp Fresh ground pepper

Preparation
Place tomatoes and tamarind into a saucepan with the rice water, bring to a boil, add beef and pork, be sure to remove the skin and seeds from the tamarind once it has softened. You can then add the rest of the ingredients, and cook for 20 minutes. Serve seasoned with patis and freshly ground pepper.

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 20:35
Filipino Fried Rice

cups Day old, cooked long grain rice
Eggs
Diced Lapchang sausage
tbsps Peanut oil
tbsps Minced garlic
tbsps Minced ginger
Bunch Chopped white scallions
tbsps Soy sauce
tsp Salt
tsp White pepper

Preparation
Using a wok, soft scramble the eggs in 2 tbsps of oil, then remove them and place them in a separate dish. Add 2 more tbsps of oil, then stir fry the garlic and ginger. Drop in your lapchang and white scallions, add the rice, and mix thoroughly, then add the eggs, soy sauce, salt, and white pepper. You may replace the eggs and lapchang with tofu and add hot peppers if you are a vegetarian.

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 20:37
Biinagoongang Baboy !

Ingredients
lbs Pork loin, cut into small cube
1/2
cup Balsamic vinegar
1/2
cup Bagoong fish paste
cloves Minced garlic
Peppercorns

Preparation
Place pork cubes, peppercorns, and garlic in a medium sized, shallow container for 24 hours.
Place the contents, along with the bagoong, an marinade into a large saucepan, or deep wok, then cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes, checking periodically to make sure the pork isn't burning, or too dry, if so, you may add a little water.

Admin
7th December 2004, 01:10
I tend to use the the first & last ingredients of the last one. Usually with roast potatoes ::)

truelove26
14th February 2006, 15:57
Originally posted by admin@Dec 7 2004, 01:10 AM
I tend to use the the first & last ingredients of the last one. Usually with roast potatoes ::)

Quoted post

bigla kong namiss ang pagkaing pinoy at maraming kanin :lol:

Gingwa
14th February 2006, 20:40
Originally posted by truelove26@Feb 14 2006, 02:57 PM
bigla kong namiss ang pagkaing pinoy at maraming kanin :lol:

Quoted post

Yeah, I had one of those to once, but I think the wheel fell off...

fred
21st February 2006, 10:25
then sun dry the slices.

Sun dry? In the UK? :yikes:
Oh well...
BEEF TAPA`S OFF.

angina_pectoris
30th May 2006, 10:13
Hi! Can I just add these recipes?

EMBUTIDO

Ingredients:
. 1 kilo ground pork
· 2 cups diced ham
· ½ cup grated carrots
· 1 cup pickle relish
· ½ cup raisins
· ¼ cup green bell pepper (minced)
· ¼ cup red bell pepper (minced)
· 6 whole eggs
· 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
· Pinch of salt & pepper

How To Cook:
1. In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients well.
2. Divide into 6-8 portions and roll and wrap in aluminium foil and seal on both ends.
3. Steam or bake in oven until firm cooked.
4. Let cool and refrigerate.
5. Serve chilled and sliced.

This is one of my favourite desserts!

LECHE FLAN

Ingredients:
· 1 can condensed milk
· 1 can evaporated milk
· 6 egg yolks
· 2 whole eggs
· ¼ teaspoon of grated lemon peel

How To Cook:
1. Caramelised sugar and pour in individual molds. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk all ingredients together and strain into individual moulds.
3. Steam until well set.
4. Let cool, then chill.

charlvil
30th May 2006, 16:51
Hello, style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif here&#39;s some of the recipes I can add to this.....

<span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#0099ff">Chicken Pochero </span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="color:#ff66ff"> </span></span>

<u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">You&#39;ll Need:</span></span></span></u></FONT><u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"> </span></span></u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">[/size]</span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pc small onion, sliced
1/2 kg chicken, cut into serving
portions
1/3 cup chicken broth or water
1 pouch (115 g) DEL MONTE Original
Style Tomato Sauce
2 pc medium potatoes, cut into
chunks
1/3 cup liver spread
1 pc medium red bell pepper, cut
into cubes
1/2 cup cooked or frozen green peas

Here&#39;s How: </span></span></span>

</span></span><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">http://images.kitchenomics.com/chicken_pochero.gif </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#ff0000">1.</span> </span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black"> Sauté garlic, onion and chicken for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth or water,
DEL MONTE Tomato Sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">

</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#ff0000">2.</span></span> <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black"> </span></span></span></span></span></span><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for another
5 minutes.</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#0000ff">Gulay sa Gata </span></span></span></span></span>

<span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">

<u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">You&#39;ll Need:</span></span></span></u></span><u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"> </span></span></u><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">150 g shrimp, peeled
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pc medium onion, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, cut into strips
200 g labong (bamboo shoot),
cut into strips
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 can (227 g) DEL MONTE
Tomato Sauce
1 cup shrimp juice
1 pc siling labuyo (chili pepper),
crushed (optional)
3 cups saluyot (jute) leaves

Here&#39;s How: </span></span></span>

</span></span><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"> </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#ff0000">1.</span> </span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black"> Combine first 7 ingredients. Season with 3/4 tsp iodized fine salt (or 2-1/2 tsp iodized rock salt). Simmer for 10 minutes.</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">

</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">[size="2"]<span style="color:#ff0000">2.</span></span> <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black"> Add shrimp juice and sili. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add saluyot. Cook for another 5 minutes</span></span></span></span></span></span>

</span></span></FONT><span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:black">

</span></span></span>

charlvil
30th May 2006, 17:54
Chicken Gata

You’ll Need:

350 grams. chicken thigh, cut into 6

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium onion, sliced

1-1/2 cups ginger strips

1-1/2 thick coconut milk

1 can ( 140 g ) Tomato Sauce

4 pcs. peppercorns

350 grams squash, cut into cubes ( 2-1/2 cups )

2 cups malunggay leaves ( optional )

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">[/size]

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">SAUTÉ garlic, onions, ginger and chicken for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, squash, peppercorns and DEL MONTE Tomato Sauce. Season with 1/3 tsp iodized fine salt (or 1 tsp iodized rock salt ). Simmer over low heat with occasional stirring, until squash is cooked.

ADD malunggay leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.

</span>

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"> </span>

<span style="font-family:Arial">[size="5"]</span></span>

Eljohno
30th May 2006, 20:59
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chat &#064; May 30 2006, 05&#58;54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Chicken Gata

You’ll Need:

350 grams. chicken thigh, cut into 6

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium onion, sliced

1-1/2 cups ginger strips

1-1/2 thick coconut milk

1 can ( 140 g ) Tomato Sauce

4 pcs. peppercorns

350 grams squash, cut into cubes ( 2-1/2 cups )

2 cups malunggay leaves ( optional )

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">[/size]

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">SAUTÉ garlic, onions, ginger and chicken for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, squash, peppercorns and DEL MONTE Tomato Sauce. Season with 1/3 tsp iodized fine salt (or 1 tsp iodized rock salt ). Simmer over low heat with occasional stirring, until squash is cooked.

ADD malunggay leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.

</span>

<span style="font-family:Arial">[size="5"]</span></span>
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the recipes as i know some of my friends have been asking us to cook some filipino food for them. Rhea is a great cook and if she has not got these then we can have a go at making these...

My recipe is;

TREASURE INN - CHINESE ACROSS THE STREET style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

charlvil
30th May 2006, 23:50
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 30 2006, 08&#58;59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the recipes as i know some of my friends have been asking us to cook some filipino food for them. Rhea is a great cook and if she has not got these then we can have a go at making these...

My recipe is;

TREASURE INN - CHINESE ACROSS THE STREET style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif
[/b][/quote]

Eljohno,

Give it a go and tell me if ur friends like it. Hope they will enjoy filipino dishes. Here&#39;s another recipe from me.

Pork Roll Mechado

You&#39;ll need:

1/2kilopork pigue 50gramspork fat, cut into 4 strips 1smallcarrot, cut into 6 strips 1pcwhole pickle, cut into 6 strips 5pcssibuyas Tagalog, halved 1pouch(200 g) <span style="color:#000000">tomato sauce</span> (http://www2.kitchenomics.com/products/sauces/index4.shtml)2medium potatoes, cut into chunks

SLICE pork pigue thinly in just one piece (morcon style). Spread on chopping board and pound lightly to flatten surface. Sprinkle with 1/3 tsp iodized fine salt (or 1/3 tbsp iodized rock salt) and 1/8 tsp pepper.

ALTERNATELY arrange strips of pork fat, carrot, pickles and sibuyas Tagalog. Roll and tie firmly with crocheting thread. Rub surface with dash of iodized salt, then brown in oil. Add 1 cup water, then simmer over low heat until meat is tender.

ADD potatoes. Season to taste. Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Add DEL MONTE Classic Recipe Sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove thread and slice before serving.

charlvil
31st May 2006, 00:27
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Oxtail Kare-kare</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"> </span>

Ingredients:

1 oxtail (3-5 lbs.)

5 tbsps, oil

5 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium sized onion, sliced

water from 1/4 cup achuete, soaked

1 banana heart, sliced crosswise

2 bundles Chinese long bean (sitaw), cut into 2-inch pieces

4 eggplants, cut into 1/2 inch slices

1/3 cup rice, toasted brown in a pan and ground to a powder

1/2 cup peanut butter

salt and pepper to taste

MSG (optional) Cut oxtail into 3 inch pieces. Boil once and discard water. Boil again until tender. Saute garlic and onion in oil. Add achuete water, sauteed garlic and onions to meat and bring to a boil. Add vegetables and enough water to make a sauce. Add the powdered rice and peanut butter dissolved in 3/4 cup water into the meat. Season with salt, pepper and MSG. Serve with Bagoong Alamang on the side.

<H1 align=center>Chicken Empanadas</H1><div align="center"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Ingredients</span>11/4 ozPkg of double crust pastry3cupsFinely chopped chicken 1tbspOlive oil 2tbspMinced garlic 1/4cupVery finely minced onions1/4cupMinced tomatoes1cupChopped hard-boiled eggs1cupFinely chopped sweet pickles1tspSalt1tspFreshly ground pepper </div><div align="center"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Preparation</span>Flatten the pastry dough and cut into 4-inch squares. Saute the ingredients in a skillet, minus the pickles and eggs, and cook for about 25 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked. Drop in your eggs and pickles, blend them in thoroughly. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. You may also want to include some hot peppers such as chipotle, or jalapenos.

Leave your mixture to cool for 1/2 hour, then drop large spoonfuls onto the pastry squares, fold into a triangle, wet edges with water, and use a fork to seal them.

bake the empanadas on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes in an oven pre-heated at 400º

</div>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Crabs in Coconut Milk
(Guinataang Alimasag)</span>

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
2 12-ounce cans coconut milk
6 whole blue or rock crabs, well cleaned or 1 pound crag legs
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths

Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the garlic and ginger.

Add the coconut milk, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Add the crabs, salt and pepper to the pot and mix well. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add the green unions and simmer for another 3 minutes or until the unions are just tender.

russ01539
27th June 2006, 18:04
Here's one. My fiance cooked it last night.

PORK AFRITADA

Ingredients - Not really that sure, but it seemed like she fried everything she could find from the fridge, then boiled it and served it with rice.

I was starving hungry and believe it or not I ate it, and wasn't half bad at all, but then I never was too fussy about what I eat. If anyone knows where I can source a Filipino cookbook, and also some of the ingredients I will be eternally happy, and so will my fiance - who is learning to cook - her styleeeeeeee. lol

If I live (or rather dont starve) over the next few weeks I will let you know how her cooking is going. I cant talk though, my idea of cooking is making breakfast cereal with milk and a spoonful of sugar. lol

scotsfiancee
12th July 2006, 11:02
WHO LIKE VEG?

Crispy KangKong

Ingredients
4 bunches kangkong leaves, cleaned
1-1/2 cup water
3 cups corn starch
5 cups cooking oil
1 cup flour
salt and monosodium glutamate ( MSG) to taste
1 pc boiled egg, grated medium
Directions
Wash kangkong and drain leaves thoroughly.
Remove leaves from stem. Set aside.
In a clean mixing bowl combine cornstarch, flour, egg, MSG, salt and water ( batter mixture ).
Mix until smooth in consistency.
Heat oil to 250&#176;F and reduce fire to medium.
Dip kangkong leaves one by one in batter and deep fry until crispy.
Put fried leaves in a plate lined with table tissue to drain oil from kangkong leaves.
Serve with sauce on the side.

scotsfiancee
12th July 2006, 11:04
i LOVE this one!!have you try this guys?

Crispy Pata

Ingredients
4 pig's trotters
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. MSG
oil for deep frying
Directions
Wash the pig's trotters under running water and place in a large pan. Cover completely with cold water. Bring to a boil and season with salt, pepper and MSG. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid, lower the heat and simmer gently until meat is cooked. Drain meat. Heat the oil in another large pan until it is almost smoking. Deep fry trotters for a few minutes until the skin is golden and crispy.

scotsfiancee
12th July 2006, 11:05
Mechado

(Filipino beef stew)
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
1 k. beef (cut into pieces)

cooking oil

4 cloves garlic (crushed)

1 onion (sliced)

2 . potatoes (quartered, fried)

1 carrot (cut round)

2 tbsps. lemon juice

2 tbsps. soy sauce, salt, peppercorn

1 cup tomato sauce

1 pc. Laurel

hot water
Directions
Brown meat in cooking oil. set aside.
In same oil saut&#233; garlic and onion. add lemon, soy sauce, peppercorn, tomato sauce, laurel and salt, simmer for a few minutes then add water. cover and simmer.
Add potatoes and carrot when meat is tender

scotsfiancee
12th July 2006, 11:09
I guess most of pinoys loves suka..the spicy one!!

Vinaigrette Dip
(Sausawang Suka)

2/3 cup

Ingredients
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
dash of red hot pepper (optional)

Directions
1 Mix all ingredients together. Serve with fried or roast meat and fish dishes.

James
17th August 2006, 10:52
anyone have a recipe for pandesal?

scotsfiancee
17th August 2006, 12:07
Filipino Pandesal Bread ( Bread Machine )
This recipe is from the Philippines. It makes the best rolls ever! They are wonderful fresh from the oven, with a little butter or some jam. They also freeze very well, so don't worry about any leftovers (if there are any!). Time to prepare the dough and rising time are not included.

Bread Flour
Yeast
Sugar
Salt
Butter or shortening
Water
Bread crumbs
500gms.
1tsp.
½ cup
1 tsp.
2 tbsp.
250ml.
roll into it

Procedure

1. Pour sugar, salt and water into bowl. Stir.
2. On a separate bowl pour bread flour, instant yeast and butter or shortening into bowl and mix.
3. Pour water mixture into bread flour mixture until formed a dough.
4. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes and form dough into desired shape like a shape of pan de sal. Roll it to smooth texture kind of bread crumbs.
5. Put it into flat baking pans or cookie sheet.
6. Allow the dough to rise until double in size.
7. Once dough rise into desired level bake it at 350°F. oven temperature for 10-15 minutes.

francesca
30th August 2006, 15:14
sarap ng pagkaing pinoy, yehey! I find a site:http://www.seasite.niu.edu/tagalog/Tagalog_Default_files/Philippine_Culture/Pagkaing%20Pilipino/PagkaingDagat/PagkaingDagatFS.htm

I love seafoods!

russ01539
15th September 2006, 19:01
For the newer lady members, try cooking this early on a saturday morning and taking it to your asawa.

3 rashers of bacon - grilled until fat is crisp
2 eggs - fried sunny side up
2 sausages - grilled
cubed potatoes - fried in deep fat fryer
2 slices of black pudding - fried
1/2 lb of mushrooms fried
2 fried hash browns.

hmmmmmmmmmmm - guaranteed to put a smile on your asawa's face every time - especially if served with hot tea.

Eljohno
15th September 2006, 19:25
For the newer lady members, try cooking this early on a saturday morning and taking it to your asawa.

3 rashers of bacon - grilled until fat is crisp
2 eggs - fried sunny side up
2 sausages - grilled
cubed potatoes - fried in deep fat fryer
2 slices of black pudding - fried
1/2 lb of mushrooms fried
2 fried hash browns.

hmmmmmmmmmmm - guaranteed to put a smile on your asawa's face every time - especially if served with hot tea.

I thought the mainland uk had beans also?

Come to Ireland and have the famous Ulster Fry!!!!