PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living in the Philippines

Sangoma
27th August 2008, 18:01
Excluding rent, how much would you need to live a comfortable life, UK standards?

alicat
27th August 2008, 18:08
good question!coz we plan to move in phil.
after one year...

Ana_may365
27th August 2008, 18:25
it depends,how many people in one family?or only urself? for foods,clothing,bills etc etc. its talking a 150£ a week per person.thats not allowing for going out to a pub or a restaurant.but if u go to a pub u must allowed 40£ or 50£ a per night.

andypaul
27th August 2008, 18:39
about 5000 pounds a week if you can pay it in to my account on the 1st of each month that would be nice. So kind of you to offer:D

It really depends but whatever you decide on for the area i would make sure you have a inflation linked iocome or one which can cope with big increases which look very likely.

Sangoma
27th August 2008, 19:13
it depends,how many people in one family?or only urself? for foods,clothing,bills etc etc. its talking a 150£ a week per person.thats not allowing for going out to a pub or a restaurant.but if u go to a pub u must allowed 40£ or 50£ a per night.

Is that in the UK or Philippines?

Put it this way, for a family of four, excluding rent but including everything else, which figure woud be sufficient per month for a reasonable standard of living

P20,000
P30,000
P40,000
P50,000
P60,000
P70,000
P80,000
P100,000

I have read that the minimum would be P40k, and any more would make life increasingly comfortable.

jimeve
27th August 2008, 19:21

Thats very expensive, wife and myself go to a restaurant and have a few drinks
spend only 2000 pesos, you;r talking about phils right. :Erm:

£40 / £ 50 night
:NoNo:

tomoboyle2000
27th August 2008, 20:46
u must allowed 40£ or 50£ a per night.

WOW :omg: Things have shot up in the Phil:omg:
Think we will stay in the UK now its cheaper

Ana_may365
27th August 2008, 20:56
it depends also to both of u[mr.&mrs.]how did u spends ur money.i remember when im still there in phils[after the british embassy denying my tourist visa application]me and my hubby spents 5,000£ for 3 months including our foods,hotel,flights and our drinks everynights we go out.weve been in koh samui for 1 month,pattaya for 1 month and 1 months also in phils.and the important is im the one who holds our money to pay everything.

alicat
28th August 2008, 10:01
so if you saying 150£ a week per person,one thousand
pounds a mounth should be enough for everything...
foods,gas for 2 car,doctor,dentist,clothes,shoes...etc???
what u think?1000£ a mounth?im asking this coz we plan to move
soon to phil.

stuartfarm
28th August 2008, 10:08
From talking to a few friends who live in da phills , $1000 or £500 a month will give you a comfortable life.

These figures are from friends in Palawan and Cebu , Of course Manila will be more expensive

alicat
28th August 2008, 10:14
oh!yah,thanks for the info...1000£ a mounth should be enough
then coz we live in subic..

benb
28th August 2008, 10:45
Is that in the UK or Philippines?

Put it this way, for a family of four, excluding rent but including everything else, which figure woud be sufficient per month for a reasonable standard of living

P20,000
P30,000
P40,000
P50,000
P60,000
P70,000
P80,000
P100,000

I have read that the minimum would be P40k, and any more would make life increasingly comfortable.

Hi Sangoma,

They are several factors to consider.

Assuming two adults and two kids who need to go school.
I would imagine P15K per person/month to be comfortable.

This figure is based on my wife's relative's family living in Mindanao.

In Manila, I would assume at least P20k per person/month.

Cheers

keithAngel
28th August 2008, 14:18
Excluding rent, how much would you need to live a comfortable life, UK standards?

This is a how long is a piece of string question, Sangomar even UK standards depends the person , I will have more direct personal imput in a few months from my own experience and from my Thailand exploits I needed excluding flights £130 week averaged over 10 weeks this included hotel with pool and cable internet in room (i arranged the router) meals out ,golf twice a week and trips out I suspect the Phils should be comprable but it always costs more at first untill you suss things out:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
28th August 2008, 19:08
I forgot some of you are extravagant millionaires. :rolleyes:

kimmi
28th August 2008, 19:25
Thats very expensive, wife and myself go to a restaurant and have a few drinks
spend only 2000 pesos, you;r talking about phils right. :Erm:

£40 / £ 50 night
:NoNo:

I agree with u with this one..

Ann07
28th August 2008, 19:33
I agree with u with this one..

same here....

ervenescence
28th August 2008, 20:23
it depends also to both of u[mr.&mrs.]how did u spends ur money.i remember when im still there in phils[after the british embassy denying my tourist visa application]me and my hubby spents 5,000£ for 3 months including our foods,hotel,flights and our drinks everynights we go out.weve been in koh samui for 1 month,pattaya for 1 month and 1 months also in phils.and the important is im the one who holds our money to pay everything.

I think you're talking about holidays not the real cost of living in the Philippines. But then, if you're living in a highlife so maybe you are probably right. :rolleyes:

vbkelly
28th August 2008, 21:19

aw i don't think so that expensive it might have 10people in your family

andypaul
28th August 2008, 22:52

I will be if Sangoma keeps paying me the 5 k a week:D

Problem for some couples is money will flow out as the party is in town 24/7 if whitey boy about.

cheesewiz
29th August 2008, 00:42
wow i didn't know that how expensive to live in the Phils now:omg: (for 4 years here in UK)

but serioulsy speaking, i think £150/week per person is unbelievable for me. A normal regular employee get about Php 350/day wage (according to my sis) still surviving. I hope she's not talking about how a semi-socialite people live in the Phils.

Last year when I went home for 4 weeks excluding my plane ticket I spend £1500 (treating the whole family of 10) of course we didn't go to boracay. palawan or bohol the main thing is treating them on any food they want a bit of shopping and going to enchanted kingdom, mall of asia and places that are not super expensive but memorable and everyone's happy.

keithAngel
29th August 2008, 05:17

OOOh which ones , I will send begging p.m.s at once

tiN
29th August 2008, 07:11
When i was in the PI for 9 months, my hubby sending me £1000 a month ( includes all the bills i need to pay )..

But it seems in PI is quite expensive now..=(

KeithD
29th August 2008, 08:51
They can even afford to burn the mansion down :omg:

andypaul
29th August 2008, 10:31
When i was in the PI for 9 months, my hubby sending me £1000 a month ( includes all the bills i need to pay )..

But it seems in PI is quite expensive now..=(
:omg:

1000 a person or was that for a large household?

tiN
30th August 2008, 08:07
:omg:

1000 a person or was that for a large household?

for a large household..:)

Sangoma
31st August 2008, 11:53
There doesn't seem to be any deffinite figures coming out.

Interesting I heard from a friend in CdO, and he says he survives OK with his wife and two kids on just under P20k a month.

BUT he said as a westerner, I would need double that to think I am living as comfortably as he considers he does.

He also thinks I could pick up a cheap car for about P20k that will still get m around. To be honest, I think I would prefer something with an engine!!!

I hope to be back there within a month, for definitely more than a month, and maybe longer. Depends on whether my saltmine will give me unpaid leave, or if I have to resign, which of course I can't do until her visa app is submitted:D

doonat
31st August 2008, 15:11
average expenses of a medium sized family in metro manila to live a comfy life in philippine pesos: :) (£1 = 83 pesos)

* brand new car w/ all the basic stuff is 500k-800k pesos, 2nd hand car or smuggled car is 150k-400k in good working condition. luxury car 1M & above. (american & japanese cars)
* large lcd tv costs twice the price in uk (like lcd tv 80k-250k).
* electric bill (w/ aircon, no frost ref, washing machine, ironing, etc...) expect from 10k-15k a month depends on the usage
* maid, separate cook, gardener or baby sitter is 1500-3500 per month (you can have as many as you want :icon_lol: all-around maids can usually do all the jobs)
* diesel or gas approx 2,000 a week if you dont want to ride the famous jeep of tricycle (aircon consumes much)
* cable and telephone w/ broadband 2,500 a month
* water bill 4,000+ monthly (excluding swimming pool)
* food & other necessities 500-1000 a day (depends on the quality of the items you buy, eat outs, etc... mall prices are much expensive)
* as for shopping: branded clothes & shoes are way cheaper in the phils
* haircut 200 pesos, dentist 500 per visit, spa costs 200-5k per session
* surgical enhancement 25k - 250k per area :icon_lol:

hope this helps. pretty much 30k-50k a month is enough but depends on your location, outside metro manila can save you atleast 25%. :)

johncar54
31st August 2008, 15:18
I thought I would find the answer to this question on the net. So I browsed. Found quite a number of interesting pages but either they were a few years old or there was no date as to when they were current.

I know in 2006 when I got marred it was considerably cheaper for a similar lifestyle as it was in Spain, and at that time Spain was cheaper than UK. Not sure that it is now, as of course I have my income in pounds and the cost of living varies with the exchange rate.

Petrol is about 1.20 € a liter. Thats about £1 but a while back 1.20€ would have been 80 pence. So for me the cost of living here has risen. The same applies to Phil. If your income is in say pounds, with a weaker pound against the Peso, its got more expensive by comparison, even ignoring any actual rise in the peso price of goods.

johncar54
31st August 2008, 15:22
Hi Doonat

I was posting my reply at the same time as you.

Having seen your excellent post I would not have posted mine.

Thanks, really useful

angel1231
31st August 2008, 16:01
No disrespect to the filipina who married to the westener but is seems they add up to much of living expenses in the philippines. i would say u 'll live comfi in a little budget of ur own.dont exaggerate to much of it,,,,,

keithAngel
31st August 2008, 16:10
My G/F earns about 10,000 a month

4000 rent
1500 electric
1000 internet

whats left pays for jeepny food ect (she gets fed at work)

my thoughts are to rent a better place and start with doubling that budjet and see what happens

Doonat you electric projection is at least 55kw per day wow and water more than current rent fuel costs 650 miles a month

joebloggs
31st August 2008, 16:17
average expenses of a medium sized family in metro manila to live a comfy life in philippine pesos: :) (£1 = 83 pesos)

* brand new car w/ all the basic stuff is 500k-800k pesos, 2nd hand car or smuggled car is 150k-400k in good working condition. luxury car 1M & above. (american & japanese cars)
* large lcd tv costs twice the price in uk (like lcd tv 80k-250k).
* electric bill (w/ aircon, no frost ref, washing machine, ironing, etc...) expect from 10k-15k a month depends on the usage
* maid, separate cook, gardener or baby sitter is 1500-3500 per month (you can have as many as you want :icon_lol: all-around maids can usually do all the jobs)
* diesel or gas approx 2,000 a week if you dont want to ride the famous jeep of tricycle (aircon consumes much)
* cable and telephone w/ broadband 2,500 a month
* water bill 4,000+ monthly (excluding swimming pool)
* food & other necessities 500-1000 a day (depends on the quality of the items you buy, eat outs, etc... mall prices are much expensive)
* as for shopping: branded clothes & shoes are way cheaper in the phils
* haircut 200 pesos, dentist 500 per visit, spa costs 200-5k per session
* surgical enhancement 25k - 250k per area :icon_lol:

hope this helps. pretty much 30k-50k a month is enough but depends on your location, outside metro manila can save you atleast 25%. :)

:yikes: :icon_lol:

me and the misses send her aunt, 20,000php a month to live off, and that's also for my stepson and his cousin to live off in palawan, we did send 30k while they were in manila.

as for when we move over there, i'm thinking of renting the house out here (say we get £300-ish a month after agency etc get a cut), using savings and sending the misses out to work (hope she gets 40k+php a month).

doonat
31st August 2008, 16:24
Hi Doonat

I was posting my reply at the same time as you.

Having seen your excellent post I would not have posted mine.

Thanks, really useful

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

doonat
31st August 2008, 16:47
No disrespect to the filipina who married to the westener but is seems they add up to much of living expenses in the philippines. i would say u 'll live comfi in a little budget of ur own.dont exaggerate to much of it,,,,,

topic starter says:

im actually referring to a "comfy life" (based on my aunt's way of living in manila) and not the "standard way of living". surely we filipinos can live with just under 5k-10k pesos a month, use electric fan instead of aircondition, manual hand washing instead of washing machine, 1 drum of water for a day, cook 1 meal for the day, ride public utility vehicles, etc...

exaggerated as it is but that's how convenient life is in uk and i would suggest that range of expenses. you can always change your lifestyle, depends on where you want to stay. just like in the uk, countrside is much cheaper compared to cities.

doonat
31st August 2008, 17:22
My G/F earns about 10,000 a month

4000 rent
1500 electric
1000 internet

whats left pays for jeepny food ect (she gets fed at work)

my thoughts are to rent a better place and start with doubling that budjet and see what happens

Doonat you electric projection is at least 55kw per day wow and water more than current rent fuel costs 650 miles a month

as for electricity you may want to check this site http://meralco.com.ph/ consumption or kilowatt per month seems fine but wait till you see the entire bill: additional 12% EVAT and other fees, system loss charge, ..... :yikes:

for the fuel consumption, its not how far can the car go coz traffic and aircondition system eats a lot of the petrol.

ok, water maybe a bit exag but not far from "living the comfy way"

andypaul
31st August 2008, 17:44
Am i correct in thinking that there is only one Elec company in phill as prices rise i would think they will rise far higher there than elsewhere in the world if so.

I noticed the Aircon kills petrol consumption also due to the roads its stop start which is far more costly on fuel consumption.

Keith angel dont forget Kano tax you may be lucky and avoid most of it but it can strike at anytime.

Also worth bearing in mind, will you be using a pc, getting a decent tv,hi fi, microwave and aircon even if it is only used for Emgencies.
Im also convinced the "Bell Wire ring main" found in many phill houses adds a little extra to each months bills as well.

Many households water uses a elec to pump it in from what i have seen this can add a great deal to the bill.

Im puzzled by how much the elec bills comes to but its with a family who try and keep all electricty use to a minimum its still scary.

fred
5th September 2008, 05:07
One of our tenants use the 1 hp AC quite a lot..there bill averages on the 7,000 mark.
I suppose the average bill for 18 units is around the 2,800 a month...
Someone told Meralco that we had illegal connections..so they came around with the police just to be dissapointed of course..
That didnt stop them checking a neighbouring apartment building however where they were not dissapointed..P50,000 fine it seems.
I wonder why they didnt notice that the sub div street lights bypassed the meter?

Mrs.JMajor
5th September 2008, 14:23
I remember this thread,almost the same like your question :)http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=6898:D