PDA

View Full Version : Is Gas or Electricity cheaper for central heating?

benb
22nd August 2008, 11:32
Folks, given the recent energy price hikes :NoNo:, especially gas which has gone up much more than electricity, which is more economically for central heating?

I had the impression gas heat has been the cheapest and wondering if that has changed.

Cheers,
Ben B

A_flyer
22nd August 2008, 12:05
Folks, given the recent energy price hikes :NoNo:, especially gas which has gone up much more than electricity, which is more economically for central heating?
The best is to use direct exchange geothermal heat pump.

5olidsnake
22nd August 2008, 12:40
good question

we don't have central heating in our house
now Cynthia is living here, the heating is on 24/7 in the winter.
we heat with electric oil filled radiators:NoNo:

is it now worth investing in central heating? (£2000 installation then running costs)

our fuel bills are with Npower ( £37 gas - £82 electric per month) average two bedroom semi detached

martin

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 13:10
Actually, heating your hot water with solar panels is now viable, and if someone gets a bath every day, it'll pay for itself in 2-3 years......and any really sunny days, excess power is put into the grid so your meter goes into reverse :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
22nd August 2008, 14:04
Sunny days.in in the UK.
:laugher:

doonat
22nd August 2008, 14:45
now i understand what an english weather is. summer here is a combination of gloomy days, windy days and drizzle :icon_lol:

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 15:40
Sunny days.in in the UK.
:laugher:
We get plenty of them in the winter :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A_flyer
22nd August 2008, 16:12
Actually, heating your hot water with solar panels is now viable, and if someone gets a bath every day, it'll pay for itself in 2-3 years......and any really sunny days, excess power is put into the grid so your meter goes into reverse :xxgrinning--00xx3:
:doh sunny days in the UK.... Tssss! where???
I may say you got hurt by the sun... but it's not possible there.

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 17:24
:Erm: You don't need the Sun for solar power, just photons, and if you can see something, you have photons. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A_flyer
22nd August 2008, 18:53
:Erm: You don't need the Sun for solar power, just photons, and if you can see something, you have photons. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yes... but you have a lot more photons with the direct sun...

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 19:15
Yes... but you have a lot more photons with the direct sun...
You get even more if we get rid of the atmoshpere :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A_flyer
22nd August 2008, 19:35
You get even more if we get rid of the atmoshpere :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yes but it's more difficult to install... from earth surface.

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 20:39
Yes but it's more difficult to install... from earth surface.
:NoNo: Put the solar panels on the moon....attach cable to house....voila :D

A_flyer
22nd August 2008, 20:53
:NoNo: Put the solar panels on the moon....attach cable to house....voila :D
Why not, but the wires are a little long...
And my ladder is too short!

KeithD
22nd August 2008, 21:19
Why not, but the wires are a little long...
And my ladder is too short!
Sorted.....Wifi Electric...... I'm patenting it now :D

vbkelly
23rd August 2008, 09:44
we got atlantic gas and electricity £20 for gas and £25 for electricity a month for 3bedrooms house

KeithD
23rd August 2008, 10:05
we got atlantic gas and electricity £20 for gas and £25 for electricity a month for 3bedrooms house
:Erm: 2 Bedroomed small bungalow £200+ a month!! Maybe I need to wire into the street lamp :icon_lol:

A_flyer
23rd August 2008, 11:28
Sorted.....Wifi Electric...... I'm patenting it now :D
:yikes: Don't you think we have enough radio waves around us...

joebloggs
23rd August 2008, 11:51

:yikes: well you either got your figures wrong, looking at bills from a few years ago, your meters are faulty or your sat in the darkness without heating :D

, average gas/electric bill is more than £1,000 a year :yikes: and thats going to be £200 more anytime :furious3:

KeithD
23rd August 2008, 12:31
:yikes: Don't you think we have enough radio waves around us...
Blame those :furious3: pilots :D

A_flyer
23rd August 2008, 12:59
I pay 85£ of electricity per month (everything is electric) here in the south of France, all included for a 2 storey house with 3 bedrooms.

jimeve
23rd August 2008, 14:51
We get plenty of them in the winter :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We don't in Bolton, :Erm:

A_flyer
23rd August 2008, 15:13
Keith is using a solar light simulator :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... so he do not bother to know the real weather
http://www.photoemission.com/Products/SolarSimulationSystems/SolarSimulationSystems.html

jimeve
23rd August 2008, 15:27
Having said all that, it's a lovely sunny day now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheesewiz
23rd August 2008, 22:32
I guess one of the advantage of living in just a room like me (£300/month) all inclusive and I can use electricity as much as I can and heater anytime I want. Sometimes on a winter I just left the heater in my room running so when Im home in the morning after my shift my room is really warm...but I don't do that anymore bec I feel guilty that Im wasting it:NoNo:

andypaul
23rd August 2008, 23:46
I guess one of the advantage of living in just a room like me (£300/month) all inclusive and I can use electricity as much as I can and heater anytime I want. Sometimes on a winter I just left the heater in my room running so when Im home in the morning after my shift my room is really warm...but I don't do that anymore bec I feel guilty that Im wasting it:NoNo:

Be careful the landlord/lady may suddenly hike up prices if they have to.
Most likely they post pay (i.e after the event) so unless you have a water tight contract they may ask for a surcharge.

jimeve
24th August 2008, 11:44

Seems you're not interested in saving the planet :cwm23:

KeithD
24th August 2008, 12:40
Seems you're not interested in saving the planet :cwm23:
Sod the planet, that'll sort itself out when humans are extinct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
24th August 2008, 18:33
Sod the planet, that'll sort itself out when humans are extinct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We are a mere blip

benb
24th August 2008, 19:04
Folks, answering my own question after looking into my bills and considering the recent price hikes. Its *about*
15.56p per kWh for Electricity
4.4p per kWh for Gas

Assuming my gas heating system is only 80% efficient, its still cheaper to stick to gas for central heating.

Solar power & heating, geo thermal is not for me yet as I'm planning to relocate within 2-3 years.

Cheers,