PDA

View Full Version : How Long Can I Stay in Manila?

Arturo
13th August 2008, 12:35
I have met a lady online, she is in Manila.
I have read a lot of threads here - some seem contradictory and some confuse me!!

I gather I can enter Manila on a 60 day max tourist visa.

I saw in one post that it appears possible to apply in Manila for an extension to the tourist visa.
However, this post was from a guy who had already married in Manila.

Q1. Is this option actually available to any tourist visa holder.

Q2. What ( if any) would be maximum stay in Manila allowed.

Any help, advice or suggestion will be welcome.

TIA

Arturo

PeterB
13th August 2008, 15:08
First of all, it would be useful to know where you live and what your nationality is.

However, assuming that you are British/from the UK, you can visit Philippines for up to 21 days (inclusive of arrival and departure days) without a visa.

If you apply to the Philippine Embassy in London, you can obtain a visa (valid for one year) which will allow you to stay for up to 59 days in any one visit.

In either case, you can apply to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration, once you are here, to extend the duration of your visit, two months at a time, up to a maximum of two years.

Officially, I believe that you should hold a flight ticket to exit Philippines at the time that you arrive, which complicates matters if you extend your visit - however, I have never been asked for this at Davao airport.

I arrived here at the beginning of December, on a standard 59 day visa, and without a return flight ticket. My visa has since expired, but I have been extending the duration of my visit every two months.

keithAngel
13th August 2008, 18:57
Spot on but Davao is domestic or can you enter there from abroad?

A_flyer
13th August 2008, 19:37
Spot on but Davao is domestic or can you enter there from abroad?
Davao is an international airport. I think there are flights to Singapore (stopping in Cebu with Cebu Pacific, but not sure you go out of the plane), SilkAir to Singapore (direct), and surely others (like Malaysia, Indonesia and may be Australia).

Arturo
13th August 2008, 23:39
First of all, it would be useful to know where you live and what your nationality is.

Hi,

I Assumed "...UK Forum" would indicate I was in fact in the UK....should have known better - sorry.

I am UK born and bred and still here!

Thanks for your reply it has helped a lot and removed a lot of doubts and concerns.

Hope I can stick around here and learn more.

Thanks Guys

A_flyer
14th August 2008, 06:13
I Assumed "...UK Forum" would indicate I was in fact in the UK....should have known better - sorry.
It's not at all automatic... this forum is accessible worldwide.

And visa stories are directly linked to Citizenship and country of residence, that's why it's important to know to be able to give you an accurate answer.

kaitlynisabelle
3rd October 2008, 09:24
First you say where do you stay currently which citizenship you have... Better you you could have a good suggestions from any tourist agency...

PeterB
8th October 2008, 17:05
Davao is an international airport. I think there are flights to Singapore (stopping in Cebu with Cebu Pacific, but not sure you go out of the plane), SilkAir to Singapore (direct), and surely others (like Malaysia, Indonesia and may be Australia).
Davao is an International airport, but with very limited number of international flights. SilkAir flights use a triangular route (SIN/CEB/DVO, or SIN/DVO/CEB, depending on the day of the week.) You do have to leave the aircraft at the stopover, but don't pass through immigration. Thus, even if you fly via Cebu, you still perform all the immigration procedures at Davao.

Toneec
11th January 2009, 08:37

However, assuming that you are British/from the UK, you can visit Philippines for up to 21 days (inclusive of arrival and departure days) without a visa.

If you apply to the Philippine Embassy in London, you can obtain a visa (valid for one year) which will allow you to stay for up to 59 days in any one visit.

In either case, you can apply to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration, once you are here, to extend the duration of your visit, two months at a time, up to a maximum of two years.

Officially, I believe that you should hold a flight ticket to exit Philippines at the time that you arrive, which complicates matters if you extend your visit - however, I have never been asked for this at Davao airport.

I arrived here at the beginning of December, on a standard 59 day visa, and without a return flight ticket. My visa has since expired, but I have been extending the duration of my visit every two months.

I plan to do this next trip, which is in a few weeks .
I just returned from Philippines, I had return ticket, but nobody asked or checked it at Manila.

I also hope to extend my visit by two months at a time.
Has anybody had any problems doing this or can offer any additional advise ?

Regards Toneec :)

PeterB
11th January 2009, 14:54
There should be no problem ... just make sure that you apply for your extension before (at least seven days, if possible) your current permission expires.

The only difficulty will be if you are asked for your return ticket on arrival ... but, as with most processes here, I'm sure that a little 'ex-gratia' payment would remove any difficulty.

Oh, another point ... if you do have a visit visa, allowing you an initial stay of 59 days, make sure that the immigration stamp in your passport is marked up accordingly. I have heard of one person who arrived with a visa, but was only stamped for a 21 day stay - he had to pay a penalty when he went to extend close to the 59th day.

I should point out that I did, eventually, receive my 13a (permanent residence) visa on October 2, 2008. This means that I was here for ten months on a repeatedly extended visit.

an08
10th February 2009, 08:44

hi all

i have an urgent question
my friend is coming in the phils with no visa
just the 21 days standard visit
but he plans to stay here for 59 days

is it possible that he just applies here in the phils for an extension
in addition to his standard 21 days visit with no visa?
so he could stay here for 59 days

also would u know if personal appearance is needed to extend
and what other tips do u have, re payments process etc
can we just ask a travel agent to process it for us
when hes already here

the reason why he isnt getting a phil visa fr uk is coz hes far
from phil embassy in london coz hes from belfast

thanks

LadyJ
10th February 2009, 11:23
hi all

when hes already here

thanks

Yes he can extend his visa before 21 days of stay is over. Personal appearance might be required but you should plan well ahead before leaving the UK so less hassle. Visit the Phils EMbassy website for more information.

LadyJ
10th February 2009, 11:26
Can I also add, he will need a valid return ticket to show at immigration airport in Phils.

PeterB
10th February 2009, 15:38
I have never been asked to show a return ticket when arriving at Davao.

Yes, you can extend your stay - I believe that you can even do it at the airport as you arrive.

However, I have only known of extensions applied for at the Bureau of Immigration office. You can apply for a 38 day extension, taking your initial 21 days up to 59. The cost is 3,020 pesos.

Thereafter you can apply for two month extensions up to 18 months or even two years.

scott&ligaya
10th February 2009, 19:02
If you are not stayaing in Manila there are several field offices around the country which will save you the hike to Manila, even Puerto Princessa in Palawan has one and we get a same day service there without hardly any waiting around, in fact they txt me when to come back, very good service,

wow 3020pesos my last one was 2400pesos in 2007.

fred
11th February 2009, 07:44
I should point out that I did, eventually, receive my 13a (permanent residence) visa on October 2, 2008. This means that I was here for ten months on a repeatedly extended visit.

A word to the wise.. When you report in the first 60 days of this year,MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR PAYMENT RECIEPT..You will need it next year.
I cant find mine and now I may have to pay a year of fines. Not sure yet.

PeterB
11th February 2009, 18:06
Thanks Fred - I'm aware of that. What folks may not be aware of - the annual reporting requirement does not apply only to those on resident visas, but anyone who has been in Phils since November 1, and has not left by March 1, is required to report, whether on a resident visa or a visitor visa.

At least you are only charged 310 pesos for the annual report.

scottishbride
12th February 2009, 14:49
hi all

when hes already here

thanks

You can use a local travel agents to extend your stay in the Phils, so not need to go to immigration, normally costs an additional 500 pesos!

flomike
15th February 2009, 13:04
what if i am british passport holder already does it mean me and hubby can only stay in the Phils for 21 days? Or they have special thing for expat like me and how about my husband married to expat? we're planning to stay in Phils for 4 weeks hopefully this year.

Alan
15th February 2009, 13:14
Correct me if I have misunderstood the question in this thread.

I have been here in the Philippines for 13 months now, renewing my visa every 2 months.

I am now allowed to stay here on a tourist visa for 2 years, after which time I must leave the country for an international destination - say, Hong Kong for example, and then I can come back here and stay for another 2 years etc..etc..

I hope I have not misinterpreted the original brief as I am now pretty high on Emperador because Oldham won yesterday!!!!!:Hellooo::BouncyHappy::xxgrinning--00xx3::cwm12:

Al.:)

charlwill
15th February 2009, 13:22
what if i am british passport holder already does it mean me and hubby can only stay in the Phils for 21 days? Or they have special thing for expat like me and how about my husband married to expat? we're planning to stay in Phils for 4 weeks hopefully this year.
As an expat you are allowed to stay in the country for 1 year as a Balikbayan, same as your husband he can stay there for 1 year as a spouse of balikbayan.

darren-b
15th February 2009, 13:35
As an expat you are allowed to stay in the country for 1 year as a Balikbayan, same as your husband he can stay there for 1 year as a spouse of balikbayan.

Surely if you were a filipino living abroad there would be no restrictions on the amount of time you could spend back in the Philippines.

IainBusby
15th February 2009, 13:40
Surely if you were a filipino living abroad there would be no restrictions on the amount of time you could spend back in the Philippines.

I think that would depend on whether you entered the Philippines using your British or Philippines passport, unless of course, you have already applied to the Philippines embassy in London and acquired dual citizenship.

charlwill
15th February 2009, 13:51
I think that would depend on whether you entered the Philippines using your British or Philippines passport, unless of course, you have already applied to the Philippines embassy in London and acquired dual citizenship.
Yes, if you have a dual citizenship you can stay there as much as you want but if you entered using a foreign passport you are only allow to stay maximum of 1 year being a balikbayan.

darren-b
15th February 2009, 13:52

An expat may not have a British citizenship/passport anyway. I don't think it would really matter which passport you enter the Philippines on so long as you can still prove that you still have Philippines citizenship once you are in the country.

Alan
15th February 2009, 13:53
It's 2 years now.

scottishbride
15th February 2009, 14:18
An expat may not have a British citizenship/passport anyway. I don't think it would really matter which passport you enter the Philippines on so long as you can still prove that you still have Philippines citizenship once you are in the country.

You are required by Philippine immigration to show both passports upon arrival, they will stamp both passports and you are automatically recognised as a dual citizen!:)

darren-b
16th February 2009, 08:15
You are required by Philippine immigration to show both passports upon arrival, they will stamp both passports and you are automatically recognised as a dual citizen!:)

If you are a dual citizen you are not actually required to show both passports upon arrival, especially as it's possible that you only intend to reclaim your Philippines citizenship once you arrive in Manila. You would though need to show proof of Philippines citizenship if you leave the Philippines again using a foreign passport - this doesn't have to be a passport, a certificate from the BI would do.

charlwill
16th February 2009, 12:09
The last time I went Phils. I was using my British passport. I never showed my Phils. passport to Immigrition people cause they never asked for it. I never showed any proof when it's time for me leave the country using my foreign passport.

cyprusboy
13th April 2009, 14:54
I came to Manila on the 15th April with a oneway ticket intending to get married here. I was asked by the imigration officer how long I intended to stay to which I replied at least 2 months. He said that he would make out a visa for me. I had no money at the time and he told me where the nearest ATM machine was. When I got back another man was waiting for me who showed me my passport saying he had put 12 month visa. He then asked for 5000p which I knocked him down to 3500. I have since found out that all I got was the entry stamp.
I never checked too much as I never thought a airport staff would have done this to me.
I take it that I will now have to get this extended? Will I do this in Manila?

thejarvs
13th April 2009, 18:14
cyprusboy that really sucks.

yes you will need to extend your stay (upto 59 days) at Manila's Bureau of Imigration (02-527 3265, Magallanes Dr;) near Intramuros City and the Pasig River. Mine cost P2020 plus P500 'express fee' lol but that was a few years ago.

good luck

cyprusboy
14th April 2009, 01:22
Many thanks Mark and Christina

john sergison
14th April 2009, 09:10
hi cyprus boy this is john from near your place, now i know why you were not home when we called .

there are various immigration offices around the phill and it is no problem at all for you to extend your stay there.

if you have got your mobile from cy i will text my email address to you, good luck out their

regards to vicky from alona

cyprusboy
14th April 2009, 11:33
Hi John
It is nice to hear from you. I have tried emailing you and the phone number I had you have moved from that address.
We are getting married on the 29th April, if not early may. I will have to come back to Cyprus without her but hopefully not for long.
I will put my Cyprus number in my spare phone.
All the best to you and Alona from Vicky and Me

cyprusboy
14th April 2009, 11:41
Hi John Just in case you have not got my cyprus number it is 0035796587991
Roy

cyprusboy
17th April 2009, 03:21
Hi John My Cyprus mobile does not seem to be able to receive texts.

john sergison
19th April 2009, 14:10
HI roy

i have tried to private message you on this site but it says that you can not receive them, so i will take the chance of unwanted emails and give you my email address.

sirjohnserge@yahoo.co.uk

cyprusboy
21st April 2009, 01:43
Thanks John. I have sent you an email.

Arturo
16th July 2009, 08:05

Thanks for that info and sorry for a delay in a reply.
I think i got too many suggestion which did not really give the answer I looked for and in truth I went off looking on other forums and other posting on here.

The blurb on the PI immigration site... states that a return ticket is required,
which seemed a problem. Your experience seems the path I need.
Were there any questions at manila airport customs/immigration?

I really would appreciate any info no matter how small or meaningless it seems.

I hope to go back to Manila ASAP (I had two weeks and got back to Aussie 4 weeks ago) and join my lady in Quezon City. I had hoped for at least a year, but two years should allow me to stay and clear up all my "baggage" both in Aus and the UK.

Did you make any particular application or simply buy a one way ticket and re-new the visa every 59 days.

I dont know if it will get through, but I have a dump email address.
steambird505@hotmail.com if you can email details and info.. I will be really grateful. if you do can use PI NOT JUNK for the subject.

TIA

Arthur

Arturo
16th July 2009, 08:19

I just noticed the date on my post... nearly 12 months ago!
I thought i was returning to a post I made a few days ago!!

BUT, if you have just gone 12 months re-newing every 59 days and no problems..it looks like an option I can use.

Thanks again and sorry for any confusion!

Arthur

cyprusboy
17th July 2009, 06:15
Hi all. I hope that someone can help?
We got married on the 4th May at Quezon City Hall. We got married there because we would receive the marriage contract earlier than the provinces.
At this time, I went home to Cyprus while Vicky arranged to have the paperwork completed.
After a week, she went to the NSO to submit the m/c for the necessary red ribbon and was told to come back in 3 weeks with the transmittal from the Quezon City registry office. When going back to the NSO, she was given a date of the 9th July.
I came back on the 8th July, with a return date of the 15th August, giving enough time to get her passport and also visa from the Cyprus Consulate.
When going back on the 9th July, she was informed that it was not ready and they needed another copy of the m/c. We went back the following day and was given another date 30th July being 3 weeks later. While at the NSO, she was informed by others, that if she new someone who worked there, it would have been done quicker.:doh
It does appear now, that we will not be able to return to Cyprus on the 15th August and even changing the return date, it can not be guaranteed.
Has anybody had the same problems or knows anyway that this process can be done quicker?

Arturo
17th July 2009, 07:16
Correct me if I have misunderstood the question in this thread.

I have been here in the Philippines for 13 months now, renewing my visa every 2 months.

I am now allowed to stay here on a tourist visa for 2 years, after which time I must leave the country for an international destination - say, Hong Kong for example, and then I can come back here and stay for another 2 years etc..etc..

I hope I have not misinterpreted the original brief as I am now pretty high on Emperador because Oldham won yesterday!!!!!:Hellooo::BouncyHappy::xxgrinning--00xx3::cwm12:

I know this is an old thread - I started it in August 2008!
Which proably the last time Oldham won anything!!!

My brother is Latics daft!

BUT , thanks for the info about the paid extentions, I think its 16 months now beofre making an application for longer stay...but I am collating all the info and my lady has telephoned immigration and gathered evern more!

Sophie
17th July 2009, 15:52
While at the NSO, she was informed by others, that if she new someone who worked there, it would have been done quicker.:doh
It does appear now, that we will not be able to return to Cyprus on the 15th August and even changing the return date, it can not be guaranteed.
Has anybody had the same problems or knows anyway that this process can be done quicker?

Yes, you can have it processed quicker, you just have to pay extra for "express processing" as they call it...
but that's more like an under the table transaction and you don't necessarily need to know the person in charge,
just tell them discreetly how soon you want your papers done and they will arrange it for you,
unfortunately, this is how it works in most government agencies there...
anything is possible with the right price....i did, when i filed mine, i paid extra and i got it in less than a week...

cyprusboy
18th July 2009, 08:14
Many thanks Sophie:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
18th July 2009, 13:21
Many thanks Sophie:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You're welcome cyprusboy :):)