PDA

View Full Version : CNN Spams...

A_flyer
11th August 2008, 09:25
I'm getting annoyed with these spams. Since more than a week I get 10 to 30 of these "CNN.com Daily Top 10" or "CNN Alerts: My Custom Alert".
Despite my anti-spam software is stopping and deleting them, it's more than half of the mails I receive...

Really annoying!!! :Blacklistthatsucks: :smileybigangry:

walesrob
11th August 2008, 09:43
I'm getting a load of these as well. The actual emails do not contain any virus as such, but any links will lead you to a malware site for a trojan downloader.

Best thing to do is set up a filtering rule to delete these emails. Or like me, get an email address for anything your not sure of and an email address for people you trust. I frequent quite a few forums (a google for walesrob will confirm this!) and I use a "disposable" email address from Fastmail, so I can kill the email address if it gets spammed.

KeithD
11th August 2008, 09:57
I frequent quite a few forums......

Traitor :cwm23: :D

I done a search Rob....found you on two :Hellooo:
http://www.adoptafarm.com/forum/

http://www.southwestfarmer.co.uk/farmersforum/sheep/

:NoNo:

IainBusby
11th August 2008, 10:43
I started to get these as well. At first it was just one a day, now it's 5 or 6 and the senders address is always different, so I set up a rule so that if "CNN Alerts" is in either the header or the body of the email they will be deleted.

If you get these emails, don't, whatever you do, click on the link in the email which says click on the link to be removed from the mailing list, as this will only result in more junk mail from the same source
Iain.

KeithD
11th August 2008, 10:46
I just forward mine to Rob :D

keithAngel
11th August 2008, 10:53
i have been deleting 5 a day to

walesrob
11th August 2008, 10:57

Thanks buddy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A_flyer
11th August 2008, 11:14
Don't worry he will use them to feed the sheeps...

keithAngel
11th August 2008, 11:38
Don't worry he will use them to feed the sheeps...

:xxanimal-smiley-085:spam1::Erm:

Dedworth
11th August 2008, 17:35
I started to get these as well. At first it was just one a day, now it's 5 or 6 and the senders address is always different, so I set up a rule so that if "CNN Alerts" is in either the header or the body of the email they will be deleted.

If you get these emails, don't, whatever you do, click on the link in the email which says click on the link to be removed from the mailing list, as this will only result in more junk mail from the same source
Iain.

Thanks I've just set up a rule to move anything with CNN in the subject to " Junk eMail" - it is really annoying the amount of this garbage that gets through :angry:

IainBusby
14th August 2008, 07:56
I've just started getting a new but similar spam to the CNN one. This one says it's from MSNBC Breaking News. I had 2 yesterday and 1 already today.
Iain.

A_flyer
14th August 2008, 12:21
Ouaip! seen it also :NoNo:

Dedworth
14th August 2008, 18:45
I've just started getting a new but similar spam to the CNN one. This one says it's from MSNBC Breaking News. I had 2 yesterday and 1 already today.
Iain.

I've had that one - how about the UPS Parcel one ?

A_flyer
14th August 2008, 19:08
I've had that one - how about the UPS Parcel one ?
You have a packet waiting?

The CNN one change a bit: "CNN Alerts: Breaking news".
My anti-spam is filtering all...

andypaul
16th August 2008, 13:54
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/258557

i wonder if the bbc next? which may hit more people in the Uk if they dont think before looking

aromulus
17th August 2008, 09:49
I seem not to get CNN spam.
I get loads of stuff associated with Tesco, asda promotions, and stuff of the sort.
I started sending them back to them or reporting them as phishing scams. Doesn't seem to work, tho.....:NoNo:

walesrob
17th August 2008, 10:29
I seem not to get CNN spam.
I get loads of stuff associated with Tesco, asda promotions, and stuff of the sort.
I started sending them back to them or reporting them as phishing scams. Doesn't seem to work, tho.....:NoNo:

Don't these emails from Tesco, etc, contain unsubscribe links? Its pointless sending them back, as most are sent from "blackholed" email addresses, i.e. dontnotreplyATtescoDOtcom. They are unmonitored mailboxes.

The other way to stop this "promotional" spam is to specify at sign-up NOT to send you any promotions by email and/or post.

Better still, use a different email address for anything your not sure of, and keep your main email address for family and friends. I use an email address from Fastmail as my back-up/2nd, and apart from having excellent spam detection, Fastmail allow you to add "personalities" to your email address. I think Yahoo do something similair - called Disposable Addresses.

Another alternative is something called Mailwasher. http://www.mailwasher.net/

walesrob
18th August 2008, 09:35
And now I'm getting spam from Frontier Airlines:

Dear customers,
Thank you for using our new service "Buy airplane ticket Online" on our website.
Your account has been created:

Your login: *********
Your password: passCSI4

Your credit card has been charged for $675.57.
We would like to remind you that whenever you order tickets on our website you get a discount of 10%!
Attached to this message is the purchase Invoice and the airplane ticket.
To use your ticket, simply print it on a color printed, and you are set to take off for the journey!

Kind regards,
Frontier Airlines

Its obvious it's a spam, the giveaway is "Dear customers", and the email address it was sent from slcdxATbondheadsDOTcom :Erm: Most, if not all airlines have their own email domain - e.g. British Airways @ba.com. Also, why would I want to book a domestic flight in USA??:doh

A_flyer
18th August 2008, 12:00
Also, why would I want to book a domestic flight in USA??:doh
well it's your life... you do what you want!

A_flyer
18th August 2008, 18:04
Got a new one 5 times (blocked by my spam filtering software): "Weekly top news" from "Top News Agency"...
They are inventive these spammers...