PDA

View Full Version : The real reason why the Philippines is poor…

cheesewiz
10th August 2008, 19:35
I saw this post on a blog, what do you guys think?

Why Is The Philippines Poor?

THE DIFFERENCE

The difference between the poor countries and the rich ones is not the age of the country:

This can be shown by countries like India & Egypt , that are more than 2000 years old, but are poor.

On the other hand, Canada , Australia & New Zealand , that 150 years ago were inexpressive, today are developed countries, and are rich.

The difference between poor & rich countries does not reside in the available natural resources.

Japan has a limited territory, 80% mountainous, inadequate for agriculture & cattle raising, but it is the second world economy. The country is like an immense floating factory, importing raw materials from the whole world and exporting manufactured products.

Another example is Switzerland, which does not plant cocoa but has the best chocolate in the world. In its little territory they raise animals and plant the soil during 4 months per year. Not enough, they produce dairy products of the best quality! It is a small country that transmits an image of security, order & labor, which made it the world's strongest, safest place.

Executives from rich countries who communicate with their counterparts in poor countries show that there is no significant intellectual difference.

Race or skin color are also not important: immigrants labeled lazy in their countries of origin are the productive power in rich European countries.

What is the difference then? The difference is the attitude of the people, framed along the years by the education & the culture & flawed tradition.

On analyzing the behavior of the people in rich & developed countries, we find that the great majority follow the following principles in their lives:

1. Ethics, as a basic principle.
2. Integrity.
3. Responsibility.
4. Respect to the laws & rules.
5. Respect to the rights of other citizens.
6. Work loving.
7. Strive for savings & investment.
8. Will of super action.
9. Punctuality.
10. and of course...Discipline

In poor countries, only a minority follow these basic principles in their daily life.

The Philippines is not poor because we lack natural resources or because nature was cruel to us. In fact, we are supposedly rich in natural resources.

We are poor because we lack the correct attitude. We lack the will to comply with and teach these functional principles of rich & developed societies.

If you do not forward this message nothing will happen to you. Your pet will not die, you will not be fired, you will not have bad luck for seven years, and also, you will not get sick or go hungry.

But those may happen because of your lack of discipline & laziness
your love for intrigue and politics, your indifference to saving for the future, your stubborn attitude.

KeithD
10th August 2008, 19:45
They are not poor, they have family values :)

David House
11th August 2008, 00:19
The analysis of the attributes of the character of people from successful economies is Ok, although there might be some others to be added. The more important question though is why these are missing in Philippine culture and what, if anything, can be done to change it. Tropical countries are not likely to be naturally industrious, the climate makes for a slow life style. When things grow all year round and food can be gathered easily, it does not encourage planning or saving for a rainy day. Add to that the impact of Spanish and American colonisation and you end up with the Philippines.
Whether culturally it will change is difficult to predict but I hope it does. There are some great values to be found in the way the family bond remains so strong but there are also some very weak aspects too. The way so many accept dependency upon others as a natural way of life I find distressing. I would love to see the emergence of a great unifying leader in the mode of Ghandi, Martin Luther-King or Mandela. Someone who would get the people behind him and break the power of the controlling groups, make corruption a socially unacceptable behaviour and empower local communities. Probably though such a man would be denied air time and then murdered to ensure the status quo is not threatened. The role of the Catholic Church is really important and I just hope that one day they will wake up to fact that their policy on birth control is an over-riding factor in stopping any real progress. Until that is changed there really is no hope that significant progress will be made. Over population is already a serious problem and without some urgent action the potential for a real disaster exists. I feel quite sure that they will be forced to re-think at some time but whether soon enough is very doubtful. They don't have a track record of doing anything very quickly and their current viewpoint on this matter is deeply and sincerely held. In the context of the country's future it is just wrong. I don't see being "poor" as not having all the possessions held so dear by those in developed countries. Family values alone are not enough though. If there are too many mouths to feed, people starve. If the health provision is inadequate or unaffordable, people suffer and die unnecessarily. Once the population is stabilised, the country has enough food to feed all the people and they all have access to good medical care then the Philippines will not be "poor", but right now it is.

keithAngel
11th August 2008, 00:44
I agree with much that you say David, It seems to me that the big areas of concern are in Health care and education and state retirement pensions

If these issues are not addressed life can become one crisis after another as to birth control well balance will be enforced if not chosen, by the four horsemen of the apocalypse a good catholic concept after all.

scott&ligaya
11th August 2008, 08:15
The Pope could reduce poverty, enrich family lives and strenghthen poor countries overnight just by saying three words CONDOMS ARE OK!!!! ..... but then children might get educated and become more self reliant and begin to question some of the oher teachings and where would the catholic church and more impportantly the wealthy and powerful bishops be then?

flomike
12th August 2008, 21:36
People in the Philippines should be educated. The government should put education(the primary standard in successful countries) their top priority in regards of financial budget...so all the people have a chance to finished their schoolings. Poverty transcribed the lack of education of many Filipinos, who only rely on their physical capabilities.

Some countries, have free education among their constituents, from preparatory to secondary...Unlike , Filipinos living in provinces, just lucky enough, if they will finish the primary levels of education.

I hope someday, no Filipinos, will be deprived of learning. This is the only way, can help our drowning country in the sea of poverty.

of course politics and religion and its people (im a filipino so included myself) too

Piamed
12th August 2008, 22:55
I believe that politics is a key factor. For what ever reason, the governments in da Phils do not seem to want to encourage enterprise. The Philippines has so many advantages:

It has the largest English speaking population outside of the US. Did you know that the call centre industry was largely initiated in da Phils?

Natural resources

Excellent education

Tremendous work ethic. Ask anyone who employs Filipinos in the UK. My friend, a matron in B'ham Heartlands hospital, says she would swap 2 lazy British nurses for a Filipino one anyday.

I don't get it and have had many discussions about it. Anyone visiting da phils can see that people are enterprising. They have no choice. More wealth should be coming into the country to benefit the whole population. So why is it not the case?

Why is the goverment not encouraging the global players to manufacture and assemble there? The location is great, skills are available and the population generally speak English.

keithAngel
12th August 2008, 23:45
I believe that politics is a key factor. For what ever reason, the governments in da Phils do not seem to want to encourage enterprise. The Philippines has so many advantages:

It has the largest English speaking population outside of the US. Did you know that the call centre industry was largely initiated in da Phils?

Natural resources

Excellent education

Tremendous work ethic. Ask anyone who employs Filipinos in the UK. My friend, a matron in B'ham Heartlands hospital, says she would swap 2 lazy British nurses for a Filipino one anyday.

I don't get it and have had many discussions about it. Anyone visiting da phils can see that people are enterprising. They have no choice. More wealth should be coming into the country to benefit the whole population. So why is it not the case?

Why is the goverment not encouraging the global players to manufacture and assemble there? The location is great, skills are available and the population generally speak English.

Just occured to me that it was the samewith Portugesse folk abroad they were workoholics but once i was in the country the joke was you need 4 guys to do a job , 1 to work and 3 to watch.

Perhaps it comes down to reward Russians used to say, while the bosses pretend to pay us , we will pretend to work:Cuckoo:

IainBusby
13th August 2008, 08:23

Natural resources

Excellent education

I think the answer to the question in general is corruption. I'm sure that if a global player as you put it, or even an enterprising small western company went there looking to set up business, the first government official they came into contact with would have his hand out for a bung and if the said bung was not forthcoming, nothing would get done.

I'm also pretty sure that if they paid the first bung, every other government official they came into contact with after that would follow suit and they'd soon give up trying.

Iain.

scott&ligaya
13th August 2008, 08:29
have to agree about the politics(for politics read lets keep the old 100 rich families in power)and also because of the endemic corruption that arises when you pay people salaries so small they cannot prosper. The young customs officer or cop sees his chief with homes, cars and a lifestlye worth 10 times the chiefs salary and just says I want a piece of that and so it continues up to the presidents family receiving millions for major foriegn invested corporate deals. Add in the greedy and powerful bishops and the dependacy culture arising from the OFW's hard work abroad and heh presto you can see why things are as they are in da PHILS. I totally agree about the work ethic of the OFW but do feel the men at home are often very lazy and just accept that the money will come. My fellow exp-pats in Palawan and dread having work done on our homes or cars as we know it will almost certainly be expensive, shoddy and late. It is crzy for these contractors to rip us off as we all talk and when we find a good carpenter or mechanic or whatever we share the news.

Mrs Daddy
13th August 2008, 18:40
Thought filipino`s have those principles:D

eljean
23rd August 2008, 16:31
Philippines has lose its own identity because of the foreign invasion like spaniards,japanese and americans...it was magellan discovered it and put it in the map of the world...the real filipinos are aetas...our ancestors...curly,short ,dark and flat nose...:D

jaskaeyes
26th August 2008, 15:12
I don't normally post anything on forums but I'm going to make an exception this time.

I have to agree with some of the posts here.
Especially on Eljeans post about losing identity and david House's point about people's character etc.

But there are some who mentioned something about education.
I don't think education plays a huge role on why the philippines is poor. Think about it. Majority of Filipinos are educated, 90% or more speak better english than any other SE asian country. But that doesn't make any difference.
Most of our senators and officials are educated...in fact well educated. They've studied in some of the world's top universities and achieved an education higher than most Filipinos will ever dream of. But the question is how is that relevant to the economy? Big question.

Someone raised a very important point which is CORRUPTION. Come on everyone. You all know majority if not all of the government officials are corrupt. They think about themselves first before their country which is the complete opposite of what Rizal have said "Bayan muna bago sarili".

The only way for the Philippines to get out of poverty is to have a GREAT and BRAVE leader. A leader who treasure Filipino values, who does not favor anyone even his own family, who doesn't kiss a**, who is NOT AFRAID, who can "make corruption a socially unacceptable behaviour" like david said, and who is a patriot and loves his country more than anything else.
Now that's the leader we need.
Hitler, F. Marcos were once great leaders believe it or not until they murdered a lot of people and Marcos became greedy.

I'm not saying we need those kinds of leaders but those leaders, before they became evil were once GREAT MEN and PATRIOTS.
There are a lot of leaders too many to mention here who were absolutely great and deserving and did not turn to greed and power-hungry maniacs like most presidents. We need people like that in the senate.

I did not post here to make an argument. We are all Filipinos here (im assuming) and we all have one common goal: to make the Philippines a great country like it was. I'm a patriot and I love my country. My ancestors fought for our freedom and so did your ancestors.

If you're too fed up with the current government and want to make a difference, if you think you are a true filipino..a patriot and a nationalist, if you want to bring back filipino identity and values, if you want to end corruption in the government, if you want to use your knowledge, intelligence and skills for your country, if you love your country and proud to be a filipino....then join me and let us make a difference.

email me at: filpatriotsATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

It's never too late for you to meet your destiny.

Gavanddal
27th August 2008, 07:14
It takes a positive attitude to improve yourself and your prospects.
I see too many Filipinos who believe they're poor because it's "Gods will". Accordingly they have absolutely no ambition.
I saw an old guy wearing a T-shirt saying "God will build you a house". Well personally I had to get a job and a mortgage, don't know about the rest of you guys. Anyone had a free house turn up?

The country needs to get a grip on reality and the government needs to educate the population to be more ambitious and industrious.
Obviously there are plenty who are so but they are unfortunately a minority.

scott&ligaya
27th August 2008, 17:29
The problem for even a great leader is that to get anything done they have to shake hands with the devil (oh and the bishops). The corruption is so endemic and bottom up that effecting change is a monumental task and I am not sure even another Ghandi could achieve it, I sincerely hope I am wrong, and of course STOP HAVING SO MANY KIDS!!!!! :)

andypaul
27th August 2008, 18:42
Become a secular state it seems.

eljean
30th August 2008, 17:35
i would rather want america to take over on the PI then i believe there will be changes for every filipino anyway, we owe our independence to them....:ARsurrender:

keithAngel
30th August 2008, 17:45
i would rather want america to take over on the PI then i believe there will be changes for every filipino anyway, we owe our independence to them....:ARsurrender:

Then we Brits could call all Filipinos "Joe" and "Kano" cool:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
31st August 2008, 01:12

How about the british take you over again? Last time was only three years but we can take a longer lease if you like.

Jeepneys will never run on time but every one will queue for them and while waiting chat about the weather:D

Plus your be a EU citzen straight off:rolleyes:

KeithD
31st August 2008, 09:20
Is the Philipiines that much poorer than the UK? Take away our benefit system & NHS and what are you left with?

Remember that millions here are in a lot of debt. We have one of the largest debts person in the world, so if everyone had to pay that back today....how many folk here would be living in cardboard boxes?

walesrob
31st August 2008, 09:40
Remember that millions here are in a lot of debt. We have one of the largest debts person in the world, so if everyone had to pay that back today....how many folk here would be living in cardboard boxes?

...or Wales :omg:

IainBusby
31st August 2008, 09:46
...or Wales :omg:

Are you saying that living in Wales is worse than living in a cardboard box or did you mean only marginally better than the cardboard box!

KeithD
31st August 2008, 09:54
Wales is Gggreeeeeeeeatttttt ......free prescriptions :xxgrinning--00xx3: (not that I paid anyway :rolleyes:)

walesrob
31st August 2008, 11:25
Are you saying that living in Wales is worse than living in a cardboard box or did you mean only marginally better than the cardboard box!

yep :)

KeithD
31st August 2008, 11:57
It's great where I live....but miserable in Abertwitwith.......probably because Rob's live there :icon_lol:

joebloggs
31st August 2008, 12:27
It's great where I live....but miserable in Abertwitwith.......probably because Rob's live there :icon_lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7584321.stm

MOST CHEERFUL PLACES

1. Powys
2. Manchester :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Hellooo:
3. West Lothian
4. Cumbernauld and Kilsyth and Monklands
5. Macclesfield

LEAST CHEERFUL PLACES
1. Edinburgh
2. Cynon Valley and Rhondda
3. Amber Valley and north east Derbyshire
4. Clydesdale; Cumnock and Doon Valley; Kyle and Carrick
5. Swansea

:Erm:

andypaul
31st August 2008, 12:34
Is the Philipiines that much poorer than the UK? Take away our benefit system & NHS and what are you left with?

Totally agree on the British side of things.

But im amazed how many Phills are up to their eyes in hock as well. A few years back found a website where you can find all the land, houses and bussiness that the bank own due to people defaulting. When i checked the local area of my missus most of those had the orignal owners in them i guess living there untill someone takes them over?

walesrob
31st August 2008, 13:00

At least our cars and TV's are safe from the thieving scousers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
31st August 2008, 13:07
At least our cars and TV's are safe from the thieving scousers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not any more now you told them you have Cars and TVs:D

jimeve
31st August 2008, 13:11
So they have electric in Wales. When did this happen :Erm:

walesrob
31st August 2008, 13:13

Last Tuesday...its great, we do all sorts of stuff, we have lights, we can watch the TV, even microwave some food..

KeithD
31st August 2008, 13:14
When Rob started peddling.......and not drugs :rolleyes: (Although I've heard rumours aspirin has reached Aberpratwith)

andypaul
31st August 2008, 13:22
When Rob started peddling.......and not drugs :rolleyes: (Although I've heard rumours aspirin has reached Aberpratwith)

The people in averheadachewyth need it more, hopefully the sheep drawn ommibus will bring it to them soon.

Gotta go now and sew some more pearls on my suit:D

walesrob
31st August 2008, 13:25

What has made me laugh is that none of you can spell Aberystwyth properly :action-smiley-081:

jimeve
31st August 2008, 13:31
What has made me laugh is that none of you can spell Aberystwyth properly :action-smiley-081:

Don't know how to pronounce it ,never mind spell it... A ber ca drab er.

andypaul
31st August 2008, 13:34

spelling is one thing, saying it with out spiting over everyone nearby is another thing:D

Well at least it is for most welsh words:rolleyes:

eljean
31st August 2008, 14:57
If you think you are unhappy, look at them

If you think your salary is low, how about her?

If you think you don't have many friends...

When you feel like giving up, think of this man

If you complain about your transport system, how about them?

If you think you suffer in life, do you suffer as much as he does?

If your society is unfair to you, how about her?

Enjoy life how it is and as it comes

Things are worse for others and is a lot better for us J

There are many things in your life that will catch your eye
but only a few will catch your heart....pursue those...

This needs to circulate forever...:

KeithD
31st August 2008, 15:36
What has made me laugh is that none of you can spell Rabbie-Dim-Wit :action-smiley-081:

Nor can you :Erm: :D

Paul_London
8th October 2008, 15:32
We are poor because we lack the correct attitude. We lack the will to comply with and teach these functional principles of rich & developed societies.

If you do not forward this message nothing will happen to you. Your pet will not die, you will not be fired, you will not have bad luck for seven years, and also, you will not get sick or go hungry.

But those may happen because of your lack of discipline & laziness
your love for intrigue and politics, your indifference to saving for the future, your stubborn attitude.

It has little to do with attitude. To become a richer nation you need mass industrialisation. That much is clear. China and India are currently going through this process and their economies are growing. Combined with this you need to your protect your essential industries of national importance through tariffs etc . Every current rich developed nation did this and that is how they got rich.

So the next question is: why hasn't the Philippines done it? Well the will is there. The problem is that the already developed rich nations want to use developing nations like the Philippines as a source of cheap raw materials, goods and labour. If the Philippines went through mass industrialisation, this would be bad news for them because there goes a source of cheap.... everything. So what do they do? See the IMF or World Bank. They offer loans to struggling governments in developing nations BUT ONLY if they open up their economies, ie do not protect infant industry.

So the (no doubt unpopular answer!) to this question is: western inference. The west needs to butt out of developing nations affairs and let them determine their own course.

andypaul
8th October 2008, 21:38
It has little to do with attitude. To become a richer nation you need mass industrialisation. That much is clear. China and India are currently going through this process and their economies are growing. Combined with this you need to your protect your essential industries of national importance through tariffs etc . Every current rich developed nation did this and that is how they got rich.

So the next question is: why hasn't the Philippines done it? Well the will is there. The problem is that the already developed rich nations want to use developing nations like the Philippines as a source of cheap raw materials, goods and labour. If the Philippines went through mass industrialisation, this would be bad news for them because there goes a source of cheap.... everything. So what do they do? See the IMF or World Bank. They offer loans to struggling governments in developing nations BUT ONLY if they open up their economies, ie do not protect infant industry.

So the (no doubt unpopular answer!) to this question is: western inference. The west needs to butt out of developing nations affairs and let them determine their own course.

Mass industrailisation may bring wealth so might resources and the sale of them.
Who is to say being in the industrailised world is a good thing. It destroys the old culture with people needing to be group together. Just look at the Uk the first country to be industrailsed. Towns grew far bigger others disapeared or at least never kept up. Families were split up and moved all over the country. Health was affected.

If you asked many of the working class people in England at the time many im sure prefered the older poorer non industrialised days. Dont forget to clear the land in the pursuit of this aim people ended up in the four corners of the world even Liverpool:omg:

Many of the countries who will avoid the worst aspects of the money meltdown are those countries who are not so industrailsed and can to a degree survie on a day to day way as a small unit. Ie grow or trade enough food and live with out to many creature comforts.

Paul_London
8th October 2008, 22:48
If you asked many of the working class people in England at the time many im sure prefered the older poorer non industrialised days. Dont forget to clear the land in the pursuit of this aim people ended up in the four corners of the world even Liverpool:omg:

:icon_lol: You're absolutely right. The life of a worker in early industrial Britain was pretty crap. Much like the situation now in sweatshops in China etc - but it didn't last. They got together and won better working conditions, pay, health and safety, the 8 hour day etc. This was replicated in other industrial nations.

Now, none of us would really chose to go back to pre-industrial times. You only have to look at the difference in life expectancy between developed and developing nations for one example of why having a modern industrial society is better. And certainly it is also reflected in the huge historical mass migrations to the west in search of what is perceived to a better life (although I agree, I do wonder sometimes about that suppose better life? :Erm:).

fred
9th October 2008, 03:24
Makes me laugh when I hear people say..What about our natural resources??
The Philippines has more than a Trillion $$ of them right there beneath their feet.
They had a huge chance to dig a lot of it up 2 years ago when metal prices were at record highs and the Chinese were begging for it..
Foreign investment was begging to help them dig it up for them..Some even tried to overcome the burdensome process and reams of red tape in a bid for local permits etc etc etc..
Some of them are still there waiting and a few are even producing (on Temporary permits that they applied for 4 years ago)..
All at a loss now Im afraid.
Too late..
The resource bull market has finished and no longer worth a damn..

fred
9th October 2008, 03:32

:dohI thought that many Filipino`s had to die to be liberated from them?

IainBusby
9th October 2008, 14:27
Makes me laugh when I hear people say..What about our natural resources??
The Philippines has more than a Trillion $$ of them right there beneath their feet.
They had a huge chance to dig a lot of it up 2 years ago when metal prices were at record highs and the Chinese were begging for it..
Foreign investment was begging to help them dig it up for them..Some even tried to overcome the burdensome process and reams of red tape in a bid for local permits etc etc etc..
Some of them are still there waiting and a few are even producing (on Temporary permits that they applied for 4 years ago)..
All at a loss now Im afraid.
Too late..
The resource bull market has finished and no longer worth a damn..

The systemic corruption which is ingrained in Philippine government, both national and local, means there are far 2 many palms to grease and if you miss one out and someone doesn't get their bung, then the paperwork just gathers dust on a desk somewhere.

Anyone who's been there must have seen examples of what can only be called red tape tied up in more red tape, tied up in a parcel which has been tied up with even more red tape and it seems to me that the only reason for most of the layers of red tape, is to extract more money in either legitimate fees or more bungs just to be able to move on to the next layer of RED TAPE.

Iain.

aromulus
9th October 2008, 14:48
Walay kwartaaaaaaaa:cwm23::cwm23:

andypaul
9th October 2008, 20:41
:icon_lol: You're absolutely right. The life of a worker in early industrial Britain was pretty crap. Much like the situation now in sweatshops in China etc - but it didn't last. They got together and won better working conditions, pay, health and safety, the 8 hour day etc. This was replicated in other industrial nations.

Now, none of us would really chose to go back to pre-industrial times. You only have to look at the difference in life expectancy between developed and developing nations for one example of why having a modern industrial society is better. And certainly it is also reflected in the huge historical mass migrations to the west in search of what is perceived to a better life (although I agree, I do wonder sometimes about that suppose better life? :Erm:).

Many on here want the simple life and the programe im watching on 4 just now want to go back to basics.

The western way is not always the best way forward looking at the mess which is just starting. look at the lonely people with no true social life?
The two people who met nline and found they lived a street away and yet didn't know one another.

Many rush to the west to earn money and because they have been led to belive life is better here which it can be for some. But many who emgriate seem to find something spritual is missing.

We are having to relearn natural health cures which seem to have outlasted industrial medcines, many of which are now, either uneffective or a lot less effective.

With India and China moving towards the industrial age can the planet cope witht the extra pollution?

eljean
12th October 2008, 20:13
Government hold the biggest rule on the country's progress simple equation if the government is corrupt more society problems less opportunity if the government is not corrupt more opportunity and less society problems:)

andypaul
12th October 2008, 20:37
Government hold the biggest rule on the country's progress simple equation if the government is corrupt more society problems less opportunity if the government is not corrupt more opportunity and less society problems:)

The Uk is buggered then:D

aromulus
13th October 2008, 09:36

The Uk is buggered then:D

Last one to leave turn the lights off.....:doh

:Hellooo:

vbkelly
13th October 2008, 14:29
Walay kwartaaaaaaaa:cwm23::cwm23:

lazy

aromulus
13th October 2008, 14:32
lazy

Who...???:Erm:

vbkelly
13th October 2008, 14:33
Who...???:Erm:

aw! not you dom the filipino people thats why poor

Juana
13th October 2008, 21:03
The only way for the Philippines to get out of poverty is to have a GREAT and BRAVE leader. A leader who treasure Filipino values, who does not favor anyone even his own family, who doesn't kiss a**, who is NOT AFRAID, who can "make corruption a socially unacceptable behaviour" like david said, and who is a patriot and loves his country more than anything else.
Now that's the leader we need.

hmmmm...:Erm: now who would that be???:Erm:

I don't think the 6-yr term for Presidents is enough to make a big difference as to what we are hoping to achieve. This is a group effort and not just merely by one body. Don't get me wrong, i do agree with you but as long as there are corrupt people in power, im afraid to say, this thing will get its way back.

Jay&Zobel
13th October 2008, 21:15
They are not poor, they have family values :)

I honestly agree with this...
Giving sustento to parents/families instead of Paying It Forward (like inheritance) but i love helping my family hehe (no question there):D

Jay&Zobel
13th October 2008, 21:18
ALso braindrain! Plenty of Fiipinos are leaving the country (like us)! But who is to blame?

aposhark
14th October 2008, 08:15
The Pope could reduce poverty, enrich family lives and strenghthen poor countries overnight just by saying three words CONDOMS ARE OK!!!! ..... but then children might get educated and become more self reliant and begin to question some of the oher teachings and where would the catholic church and more impportantly the wealthy and powerful bishops be then?

Yeah, but people can buy condoms in the cities of the Philippines but not readily available in the poorer provinces.
Even if they were available, the people would buy food instead of condoms due to financial constraints.
Seems to me the Phils government should make it easier for the poorer people to buy condoms. :NoNo:

Scouse
14th October 2008, 19:59
After reading all of the posts here I think it is a combination of many factors that keeps the Philippines poor.

1. Lack of access to family planning -large families with mny mouths to feed means that there is no income leftover for other, preferably locally produced, goods.

2. The above leads to lack of industry - why produce goods you can't sell. Ford Motors grew because the cars were priced at a level that the employees (and therefore other workers) could afford.

3. Laziness - in my experience, Filipinos are no lazier than any other nation. If there is work to do they will do it, but natuarlly enough would you work as hard as you could if you were being paid nothing?

4. Education - The system is grossly underfunded. Those who want to learn can do but it takes a lot more dedication and effort than it does in the west. Given the condition of many schools, class sizes etc the teachers do a wonderful job.

5. Healthcare - Without a universal system it is hard for people who have nothing to get medical care. We may moan about the NHS but think about what a wonderful system it is. Free access/hospital care. We may have to pay for some things but if we had to pay for everything imagine how much you would have to spend.

6. Corruption - This happens in most countries, it just easier in the Philippines and they are not so clever at hiding it. Look at how many scandals there have been in the UK/USA when MPs/senators/political parties are caught out taking bribes.

Similarly, how many rich people in the UK pay their fair share of taxes? They use expensive accountants to hide their wealth to avoid it.

7. IMF/World Bank - Controlled by the developed countries with a brief to look after the developed world interests, hence the insistence of the opening of markets/privatisation of the utilities. Capitalism relies on a cheap source of labour. The World Bank/IMF know thus and won't do anything to upset their paymasters.

India and China are developing because they have nuclear capability and are big enough to stick two fingers up to the World Bank and IMF. They also have potentially huge markets available to the West which means they can make even more money.

fred
15th October 2008, 04:33
8. Lack of foreign investors mainly due to the 60/40 business ownership restrictions. Foreign land ownership bans have also been a big off put for serous investors too.
Around 9 local families warding off foreign investment at every opportunity is a major factor and will continue to be so IMO.
Even President Arroyo abandoned her land reform plans that would have been beneficial to the poor rural folk after she realized how this would effect her families haciendas..
She often crafted laws that were designed to promote her families own business interests and this is common practice amongst the Filipino elite that control just about all the power here.
No getting away from the main reason for poverty here in the P.I.
Corruption,Corruption and more Corruption!!

baboyako
15th October 2008, 20:25
you only need to look at somewhere like boracay to see whats wrong.

restrictions on foreign investments is really the problem.

the restrictions are there to support corruption. you wouldn't believe how easy it is to provide electrical power (sanitation etc..) to a place like boracay IF ONLY foreign investment was allowed and encouraged.