PDA

View Full Version : Costs of communicating

USA
3rd August 2008, 18:55
I have been chatting online now for perhaps 4 months with a girl in the Phil. She seems like a wonderful girl and I`m really falling for her and it seems her for me.We are now "BF and GF" and have begun talking about my making a visit there. Its all good.:)
The problem I have is that she doesnt have a regular job(its easy to forgive this as shes only 19) and so cant afford to call or text me as she puts what little money she earns into PC time at the cafe. I can call her anytime I like as this doesnt cost her anything. I really dont like this arrangement though. I wish we could text and call each other. The cost of this would be trivial for me and undoubtably much less than I would spend on a similarly aged and employed girl here for dates and things for us to do. My question is- how do I tactfully broach this subject with her? My impression is that she would rather have 3 or 4 teeth pulled than ask me for money. She seems to bristle if I even get close to the topic. Certainly I dont want to be insulting or crude by offering money outright . On the other hand I dont like the curent situation. How can I do this tactfully? Or better yet is there a way someone can think of to just gift her phone time so as to avoid the subject altogether? Any thoughts on this anyone?:ARsurrender:

maria_and_matt
3rd August 2008, 19:08
you can actually give her celphone a load here in the uk... i use it all the time the site is: www.callingnow.co.uk, or you can call them at 0207-987-3749 hope that helps.

jackmac452
3rd August 2008, 19:11
Hi USA. First thanks for the compliment you gave my missus..yes there is something quite nice when they look preggy...Your predicament above is just like mine..Nisa cannot afford to ring me or text me...but will not accept any money for the cards or load as she calls it..(but I insist that I pay for her living expenses and pay for the the birth of our baby in October)..we talk once a day for 1 hour on the internet and I text her each day also...I hate to say this my friend, but you will have to get used to calling your ladyfriend and not have her call you if she cannot afford it...I found out long ago that there are lot's and lot's of Filipino ladies who get uptight when they are compared with anyone who will take their boyfriends for granted or anything like that..Just keep the Status Quo....My friend..you have a pure gem there..don't worry about you ringing her and she not you...Just be glad she gets in touch with you as and when she can...I have a feeling it could be the start of a wonderful romance...God bless and good luck to you both.

jackmac452
3rd August 2008, 19:13
and as Maria and Matt has just stated..you can put a load on her phone for her if you would like to here in the Uk...can you access it being in America? hope you can. or maybe there is one over there?

USA
3rd August 2008, 19:15
you can actually give her celphone a load here in the uk...
I am in the USA...but I`ll look into it-thanks.

maria_and_matt
3rd August 2008, 19:19
I am in the USA...but I`ll look into it-thanks.

sorry i didnt realize! i am sure u have similar facilities there my cousins in NY can sens load back home too.. goodluck

joebloggs
3rd August 2008, 19:42
for many years i used www.chikka.com to send text msgs to my misses mobile from my pc at work and home for free :xxgrinning--00xx3: must have saved me many £100s if not £1,000's :yikes:

get your g/f to send you a smart sim card enabled in the phils for international roaming for your mob, then it only cost her something like 1php a text :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
3rd August 2008, 19:54
i use first phone here from uk perhaps you could get your g/f to look on the web in the fils for a card and you buy and send the pin

GaryFifer
3rd August 2008, 23:08
Hi USA welcome to the forum. I assume you are communicating using all the normal instant messengers when she is in the cafe.MSN, YAHOO, and SKYPE.

Jessica goes to the cafe after I txt her on Chikka for free. Can send 3 messages at a time.Jess get my message to go online. She can reply on her mobile if she has load.

Here is the website for that.http://www.chikka.com/ Chikka can be downloaded and run from your PC, or you can utilise the website to send the messages.

Also Chikka runs a SMART PADALA system to send load to a mobile that is on the SMART mobile phone network. If you are interested in that search the forum for a thread. I covered that before.I will explain that.

Calling her cheaply can be done in a variety of different methods.You can topup Skype with some credits, and call from your PC.But their rates can be a bit high.

But JAJAH is a good reliable site.Its easy to get up and running.http://www.jajah.com/

From landline: 14.8 cents to landline or FREE between JAJAH Users.
19.3 cents to mobile phone or FREE between JAJAH Users.
From mobile phone: 14.8 cents to landline or FREE between JAJAH Users.
19.3 cents to mobile phone or FREE between JAJAH Users.

jackmac452
4th August 2008, 08:54
Thank you from me gary2jessica..I will try the JAJAH also...thanks again

PeterB
7th August 2008, 21:22
You can actually buy a roaming-enabled Smart or Globe SIM online from the UK. Perhaps there is a stateside site offering this also?

All Pinoys love to text, and it is very cheap (P1). If you use a Phils SIM, she can text you anywhere in the world at the same rate.

Sim11UK
11th August 2008, 15:58
You can actually buy a roaming-enabled Smart or Globe SIM online from the UK. Perhaps there is a stateside site offering this also?

All Pinoys love to text, and it is very cheap (P1). If you use a Phils SIM, she can text you anywhere in the world at the same rate.

We bought a Globe OFW family pack (2 sim cards) when in the Phils, but it dosen't seem to work here?

PeterB
11th August 2008, 16:22
I'm not sure about Globe, but the Smart SIM I bought had to have roaming turned on, by sending "ROAM ON" to 333. This was despite the fact that I specifically asked for roaming when I purchased at the Smart shop.

However, if you visit the 'calling now' website (link given above), you can purchase a roaming-enabled SIM from a UK source.

A_flyer
11th August 2008, 17:00
We bought a Globe OFW family pack (2 sim cards) when in the Phils, but it dosen't seem to work here?
You have to enable the roaming mode before leaving the Philippines. If bought there, roaming mode is not enabled by default. If already abroad you can't do it as of course you do have the network.

How to activate Globe Roaming (http://www.mukamo.com/how-to-activate-globe-roaming/)
Here’s how you activate Globe Handyphone Prepaid International Roaming.
Just text GROAM ON [Start Date] [No. of Days] and send to 2884.
For example, if you want to activate your roaming on September 26, 2005 for ten days, just text GROAM ON 09/26/2005 10 send to 2884.
Make sure that you have P100 balance before activating your International Roaming. You also need to maintain P100 daily load while abroad to ensure continuity of your roaming service. You may request for roaming activation 7 days before departure or at least an hour before departure. Maximum number of days for activation is 180 days.

Sim11UK
11th August 2008, 18:57
You have to enable the roaming mode before leaving the Philippines. If bought there, roaming mode is not enabled by default. If already abroad you can't do it as of course you do have the network.

How to activate Globe Roaming (http://www.mukamo.com/how-to-activate-globe-roaming/)
Here’s how you activate Globe Handyphone Prepaid International Roaming.
Just text GROAM ON [Start Date] [No. of Days] and send to 2884.
For example, if you want to activate your roaming on September 26, 2005 for ten days, just text GROAM ON 09/26/2005 10 send to 2884.
Make sure that you have P100 balance before activating your International Roaming. You also need to maintain P100 daily load while abroad to ensure continuity of your roaming service. You may request for roaming activation 7 days before departure or at least an hour before departure. Maximum number of days for activation is 180 days.

Many thanks for that info. I'm not very up on these things :)

andypaul
11th August 2008, 19:30
At the festivals smart and or globe are quite often there selling roaming enabled sims a few years back they took a few days to activate after they had your details.

vbkelly
15th August 2008, 22:15
I have been chatting online now for perhaps 4 months with a girl in the Phil. She seems like a wonderful girl and I`m really falling for her and it seems her for me.We are now "BF and GF" and have begun talking about my making a visit there. Its all good.:)
The problem I have is that she doesnt have a regular job(its easy to forgive this as shes only 19) and so cant afford to call or text me as she puts what little money she earns into PC time at the cafe. I can call her anytime I like as this doesnt cost her anything. I really dont like this arrangement though. I wish we could text and call each other. The cost of this would be trivial for me and undoubtably much less than I would spend on a similarly aged and employed girl here for dates and things for us to do. My question is- how do I tactfully broach this subject with her? My impression is that she would rather have 3 or 4 teeth pulled than ask me for money. She seems to bristle if I even get close to the topic. Certainly I dont want to be insulting or crude by offering money outright . On the other hand I dont like the curent situation. How can I do this tactfully? Or better yet is there a way someone can think of to just gift her phone time so as to avoid the subject altogether? Any thoughts on this anyone?:ARsurrender:

if you love her cost of communication is nothing go to www.pinoycards.co.uk £20 callingcards is now less than £13 200plus minutes and you need to sucrifice first till you get her.

A_flyer
16th August 2008, 06:22
if you love her cost of communication is nothing go to www.pinoycards.co.uk (http://www.pinoycards.co.uk) £20 callingcards is now less than £13 200plus minutes and you need to sucrifice first till you get her.
USA is ... in the USA (Tenessee) as he told us, it will not work for him (nor me) but for others here.

USA
19th August 2008, 18:02
Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!