Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Marriage in the Philippines - New CNI - March 2014

From 1st March 2014, the Consular Section will issue a new-style affirmation or an affidavit to marry. Local authorities have confirmed that they will accept this document. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI).

Here's the publication in PDF format called MARRIAGE IN THE PHILIPPINES - (Explanatory Notice to British Nationals Contemplating Marriage in the Philippines)

Don't forget you'll still need to book an appointment at the British Embassy

Booking an appointment for a notarial act or certificate

1.Visit the British Embassy Manila online appointment system
    2.Select the service you require.
    3.Select the date from the calendar (available days are shaded in green) or click on “next available” and then select a time.
    4.To register as a new user, enter your details (name, e-mail address and telephone number) on “New Customer Registration Form.” You only need to register once. For future appointments, use “Customer sign-in” and enter your email address, and the password you used when registering for the first time.
    5.Once your appointment has been booked, a confirmation email will be sent to your e-mail address with an event calendar attachment to save the date on your outlook calendar or on your mobile phone (the latter will apply if you open the booking confirmation email on your mobile).
    6.Should you need to cancel your appointment, you can sign in and follow the link “cancel appointment.”

Respected Member
    Well that certainly looks like it makes life easier. I had a lot of hassle with the CNI process (namely getting a CNI when not present in the UK).

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Do they still need to wait ten days after they submit the affirmation and affidavit? Or they will just get that requirement same day?

So do I need to not go for my CNI appointment here in UK on 4th March to obtain my CNI.... Sounds like I am paying for something I no longer need.

I just print off that new one and fill it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    Do they still need to wait ten days after they submit the affirmation and affidavit? Or they will just get that requirement same day?
    What 10 days waiting period are you thinking of?

The only 10 day waiting period I'm aware of is between application of marriage licence and issue of licence.

The CNI is immediately valid and remains so for 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    So do I need to not go for my CNI appointment here in UK on 4th March to obtain my CNI.... Sounds like I am paying for something I no longer need.

I just print off that new one and fill it in?
    I seriously suggest you contact the Embassy about that asap just to be sure..............
    All the UKVI (was UKBA) webpages are now very 'minimal' and don't give too much info

Would appreciate your feedback on the Embassy response...

Taking the Embassy announcement at face value you don't need the UK CNI......

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I seriously suggest you contact the Embassy about that asap just to be sure..............
    All the UKVI (was UKBA) webpages are now very 'minimal' and don't give too much info

Would appreciate your feedback on the Embassy response...

Taking the Embassy announcement at face value you don't need the UK CNI......
    I have contacted the British Embassy in Manila to ask... Told them I have an appointment with them on 8th May to exchange my CNI which I am due to get from UK on Tuesday. Asked them if I need to get the CNI or just fill out the new form and turn up with that?
    In the meantime I shall go ahead with my appointment unless I hear different..... The CNI is probably the most important document I need to get married, so not going to not get it unless it is official.... I may still get it as it is only £35 and I can afford to lose that rather than a lot more should I not get it and it is indeed required.

I'd agree....stick with your original plan then both sides are covered.

Please do let us know the Embassy position

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Unhappy

What 10 days waiting period are you thinking of?

The only 10 day waiting period I'm aware of is between application of marriage licence and issue of licence.

The CNI is immediately valid and remains so for 3 months.

I've read somewhere that if a British man will get his CNI from UK, he has to wait for ten days whilst he is in UK then he can bring it here,submit to British embassy, wait for ten days then it will be released, then apply for marriage license, then 15 days again. That's why my fiancé and I thought that he needs to stay here for 25 days just to get married here, and we just decided to have our wedding in UK because it's impossible for him to stay here that long

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    I've read somewhere that if a British man will get his CNI from UK, he has to wait for ten days whilst he is in UK then he can bring it here,submit to British embassy, wait for ten days then it will be released, then apply for marriage license, then 15 days again. That's why my fiancé and I thought that he needs to stay here for 25 days just to get married here, and we just decided to have our wedding in UK because it's impossible for him to stay here that long
    Not correct Jen.
    To secure a UK CNI from the registry office you have to give Notice of Marriage .
    This notice will be posted for public viewing and provided nobody has raised any objection the CNI (Certificate of No Impediment) is then issued 21 clear calendar days after the notice was first posted.

There's no 10 day waiting for the Embassy to issue the local version.......it's provided there and then at the Embassy appointment. It's immediately valid and can be used to apply marriage licence.
    The waiting time for Marriage Licence is 10 days.

Watch this thread for the Embassy response to Slip as to whether or not a UK issued CNI remains a mandatory requirement or just the oath/affirmation.

normally takes 21 days.
    This is notice of marriage and is called the marriage bans

Not had a reply to my email yet... So looks like I will go ahead with my CNI appointment here tomorrow.

Not had a reply to my email yet... So looks like I will go ahead with my CNI appointment here tomorrow.
    That's what I'd do too

No reply still from the British embassy in Manila.

However whilst at my appoinment today for the CNI at my local registry office I asked the lady about them doing away with the CNI here and having to print off a new form from the internet...

She was totally confused and it was the first she had heard of it.. She was the deputy registrar as well and it is her job to fill out all CNI requests here. She commented it was highly unlikely as the CNI cost £35 to obtain which makes them money, so why would they now provide this for free?
    However when I asked if it was anything like my job where you only find out about new things from the top bosses the first day they are meant to be done then panic as you don't know how to do it! she did say "possibly!"

I did look on the UKBA website and the page about marrying in Philippines hasn't been updated since 26th Feb, and still says you need a CNI, so until they update it again I dont think anyone truly knows if the CNI is still required or not!

......I did look on the UKBA website and the page about marrying in Philippines hasn't been updated since 26th Feb, and still says you need a CNI, so until they update it again I dont think anyone truly knows if the CNI is still required or not!
    Yes, it's very odd....let's hope the Embassy respond quickly so that everyone can understand what's going on.

Got a reply this morning.

Dear Customer

Thank you for booking your appointment online.

Please be advised that effective 1st March we have updated the guidance for getting married in the Philippines. We will no longer issue the Certificate of No Impediment or apply for the Notice of Marriage. What you need to apply is the Affidavit or Affirmation to marry. We have updated the online appointment booking to indicate the Consular service affidavit or affirmation to marry.

The Affidavit or Affirmation to marry is the document that you need to submit for your Marriage Licence. This is now the requirement of the local civil registrar office.

Kindly bring the original supporting documents and photocopies of each to the British Embassy Manila.

Kindly find the attached guidance and form that you need to complete before coming to the embassy. Or visit the website,

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines

Got a reply this morning....
    Isn't it frustrating that these folks just can't give a simple answer............

Slip, did you ask them specifically if a UK CNI should be obtained beforehand?

I'm guessing that for marriages in the Philippines the UK issued CNI is now no longer needed.

Isn't it frustrating that these folks just can't give a simple answer............

Slip, did you ask them specifically if a UK CNI should be obtained beforehand?

I'm guessing that for marriages in the Philippines the UK issued CNI is now no longer needed.
    I did ask if I still needed the UK CNI.

However I don't think todays email was in response to my email. Todays email was because I have an appoinment booked already.

I did ask if I still needed the UK CNI.

However I don't think todays email was in response to my email. Todays email was because I have an appoinment booked already.
    As a 'belt-and-braces' strategy I zipped off an e-mail to the Manila Embassy today.
    You could be right slip, it might just be an e-mail for your appointment giving the latest procedures to expect etc.

In my e-mail I highlighted that despite their announcement the Gov.UK webpage on that subject still indicates a UK CNI is needed for marriages in Philippines and asking them to clearly state the correct requirements and specifically the need for UK CNI

Just have to keep plugging away sometimes to get to the bottom of things.
    Even FOI requests often get 'lost in translation'

How are your preparations going? all OK I hope?

Hahaha, received an automated response:-

"Thank you for your e-mail addressed to the Policy, Projects and Communications section.

The British Embassy is closed on Friday, 31 January (A special non-working holiday in the Philippines)

Our public hours is from Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 16:45

We will answer your enquiry within seven (7) working days (exluding weekends and public holidays)"

No idea why I'd be interested to know the Embassy was closed on Friday, 31 January though

:

How are your preparations going? all OK I hope?
    All going well so far, apart from this lol. I can pick my UK CNI up from 26th March and I am all ready then this end.... shame I am not going until first week in May.
    Harlene finishes her job in Singapore end of next week and flies back to Philippines she will spend the six weeks prior to my arrival making sure her English test/TB test etc etc is done and dusted... Also she is the one planning the wedding her end, so that will be done as well, she will be busy... I will just keep working and earning money to pay for it lol... But to be fair she is spending a fair bit too, it's not all me

... I will just keep working and earning money to pay for it lol... But to be fair she is spending a fair bit too, it's not all me
    Same old same old Slip
    It's going to be memorable time for all.......once in a lifetime experience

Thank you for the post Terpe and slip. Very useful information..

Do you think Terpe, my partner not need to get a CNI in UK?

Thanks in advance for the response.
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

What's going on now??

We don't know what Steve will comply in The local registrar in Uk. We don't know what we will submit in the future to the British embassy Manila to obtain the affidavit to marry.

Please help me to enlighten our minds. We are now so confused.
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

I wouldn't want to give you wrong advice Ann, but my understanding from what I have been told is you DO NOT need a CNI from UK anymore. Just fill out the new forms in the link previous on this thread.

However until I do just this on May 8th I really wouldn't want to advise you against obtaining the UK version of the CNI

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post
    What's going on now??

We don't know what Steve will comply in The local registrar in Uk. We don't know what we will submit in the future to the British embassy Manila to obtain the affidavit to marry.

Please help me to enlighten our minds. We are now so confused.
    Both Slip and me have contacted the Embassy to get formal written clarification as it's really not that clear
    Personally, until it's 100% clear, I would simply continue to secure a UK issued CNI.

If you have one and it's not needed you'll still get the legal required documents for Philippine authorities.
    If you don't have one and it's needed you'll not get married

Ok, thank you a lot Slip and Terpe. Anyway I will wait on their response, just keep posted please, we will have plenty of times to obtain this coz our wedding plan will be on 1st week of December.

I'm going crazy! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post
    Ok, thank you a lot Slip and Terpe. Anyway I will wait on their response, just keep posted please, we will have plenty of times to obtain this coz our wedding plan will be on 1st week of December.

I'm going crazy! Lol.
    I will most definitely let you know via this thread what happens when I go in May.

You have plenty of time and I am pretty certain we will know for sure by the time your wedding comes around :-)

Well, after much 'to-ing and fro-ing', I have at last received a clear reply from the British Embassy about the UK CNI:-

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our apologies for the confusion as it took some time before the GOV.UK website was amended to reflect the new changes. This is to confirm that from 3rd March 2014, the Consular Section will issue a new-style affirmation or an affidavit to marry. Local authorities have confirmed that they will accept this document. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI). This means that you no longer need to secure a UK-issued CNI prior to your entry to the Philippines. Please refer to this link for the complete list of requirements and procedures: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines.

When you are ready to submit your application, please book through our the British Embassy Manila online appointment system: http://britishembassymanila.clickbook.net/.

Sincerely yours

Consular section | British Embassy Manila | 120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Hill, Taguig City 1634
    ( telephone +63 2 858 2200 ( fax +63 2 858 2342 : British Embassy Manila website

Read the latest blogs / Join us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter
    Living in the Philippines? Our travel advice isn’t just for visitors! Read latest info and subscribe to email updates
    Just to emphasise the key sentence from the British Embassy
    ....This means that you no longer need to secure a UK-issued CNI prior to your entry to the Philippines...

At last!

They have changed this page too now.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y...l/opposite_sex

Wished it had been done a couple of weeks ago, would have saved me £35 seeing my appointment was 4th March, the day after the changes. didn't help the deputy registrar didn't even know about the change! Wonder if they will mention the changes when I pick the CNI up after 26th March?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information