Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Parental Rights - A Reality Check

Thankfully, few couples find themselves facing the horrendous plight of baby Charlie Gard's parents.

Theirs is [literally] a "life or death" situation!

Here, then, is an update on the legal implications involved:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40600932 ...

It really is a heartbreaking situation but what happens to the child when the parents are no longer able to look after him?

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    ... but what happens to the child when the parents are no longer able to look after him?
    In all cases a court can overrule parents.

I understand parents would want to keep their child alive as long as possible, as indeed anyone would want to do for a loved one, but there comes a time when the opinion of medically qualified people out-weighs the parents' irrational wishes.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    I see the parents have just withdrawn the application.

Now maybe the poor little boy will be allowed to pass away peacefully as the medical opinion has been for so long.

Yes at last, RIP Charlie x

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    In all cases a court can overrule parents.
    I still maintain the final choice - in such circumstances - should've been the prerogative of the parents ... NOT the lawcourts.

The child was brain dead, so they were deluded to think he could actually live a normal life anyway. Sure it's sad, but why let the child suffer longer than it has to.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    The child was brain dead, so they were deluded to think he could actually live a normal life anyway. Sure it's sad, but why let the child suffer longer than it has to.
    .................... ... although seems a bit like a "double-edged sword", whichever way one looks at it.

Courts being given the power to decide the fate of a little boy. Yet, on the other hand ... ... they are precluded from *sanctioning terminally~ill patients' "right to die with dignity", ... because *doing so would, of course, be deemed unlawful.

It's all irrelevant..............................He has passed away, R.I.P.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    It's all irrelevant..............................
    but not for the purpose of this thread.

I have not been in the parent's position so I cannot feel the emotion they felt. Bringing a child into this world is a wonderful thing for anyone....... but, I do tend to think (imo) that the parents of severely mentally disabled babies, knowing that the child has no future apart from living in a home or hospital for the entirety of it's life, with no chance of constructive consciousness, and then when the parents cannot cope, fobbing off to a 'respite' home, should immediately make the right decision for the child and services/community.

I dont want to upset upset anyone with my thoughts, but I used to be part of a group who would annually raise money for a respite home. When we all went there to make the presentation many of the children and adult patients would be wheeled out. Many of them had no awareness of any outside stimulus, both children and adults. The drain on authorities is massive for these places and they heavily rely on charities. Am I wrong to think that it is selfish for the parents to allow continuation of life if it is not viable. For the adult patients, whose parents were already too old to responsibly take care of their offspring, I think my thoughts are valid.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    but not for the purpose of this thread.

I have not been in the parent's position so I cannot feel the emotion they felt. Bringing a child into this world is a wonderful thing for anyone....... but, I do tend to think (imo) that the parents of severely mentally disabled babies, knowing that the child has no future apart from living in a home or hospital for the entirety of it's life, with no chance of constructive consciousness, and then when the parents cannot cope, fobbing off to a 'respite' home, should immediately make the right decision for the child and services/community.

I dont want to upset upset anyone with my thoughts, but I used to be part of a group who would annually raise money for a respite home. When we all went there to make the presentation many of the children and adult patients would be wheeled out. Many of them had no awareness of any outside stimulus, both children and adults. The drain on authorities is massive for these places and they heavily rely on charities. Am I wrong to think that it is selfish for the parents to allow continuation of life if it is not viable. For the adult patients, whose parents were already too old to responsibly take care of their offspring, I think my thoughts are valid.
    I'm sure you are right Steve even though it must be very difficult for those concerned to know what is best!

Thread Information