Yes, I have been aware of this loan for over a year. Originally he was just going to leave and then contact them to arrange repayment so I had put it to the back of my mind. The original loan was to repay property debt. He and his brother were buying a property together and they both stopped paying the premiums for their own personal reasons, fairly stupid ones IMO but I am not judging from what happened before we got together. It effectively left him with a loan of around £3000. He's not checked the outstanding balance but estimates he's just half way through to possibly £3000 but he will check that on Monday.

Because it was something pre 'me' I didn't ask too many details at the time. It's a private company he owes the money to. I have yet to discover whether it gets instant deduction from his salary or whether he pays it from his bank after his salary is paid in. I am sure I had a copy of his wage slip somewhere but can't find it to check.

Worth pointing out he stresses about things really quickly! Once he's in panic mode, getting answers is hard work! He's adorable with it in a way but at times like this it's frustrating!

The travel permit was part of the confusion ... it seems usual for teachers to get a travel permit when leaving the country. Of course, unless they start telling immigration that they are a teacher they won't know and won't ask so it's a bit silly. What he seems to actually be talking about is getting his resignation processed which he gives me the impression is one of those typically complicated Filipino things. I am used to handing in a notice and leaving at the end of the notice period with no complications. He tells me that there is this process of approving a resignation. I don't fully understand it but he says there is this process so I guess there must be.

My opinion, based on UK understandings is, he could contact the loan company, explain he is leaving teaching and set up a direct payment plan from his bank which we could cover from here. They'd agree because it's a civil matter and they know that not agreeing is refusing an offer of repayment so there is no option for them to go to court seeing as no default has been made.

Hopefully this information clears a few points?