Terpe,
You just described exactly the type of gated community we have lived in for the past 15 yrs here in NCR of Luzon and we plan to stay here for the long term, since we are now both permanent residents, my wife is a dual citizen and I just recently obtained my Expanded SRRVisa for those retired U.S. military members and we can now stay in the Philippines indefinite and never have to do the BB stamp or visa runs out of the country and return. We can now kick back and relax in one place for good until we feel the travel bug again one of these years.
It's just my wife and I living in our home. We've tried living near family and relatives, but that got old after a year and so we decided to move further away to get some peace and quiet and we did where we live today and we feel safe as can be and besides we are both Filipinos and easily blend in the crowd among other Filipinos.
We are happy and content of the way our area has developed over the 15 yrs living here to date, we have almost everything we need within a 1/4 mile radius and or of just walking distance.