I've been visiting the Philippines for many years. I've lived in squatter areas, high-end subdivisions and plenty in between.

No I haven't always felt at ease.
But I do now.

We live in what is loosely termed a high-end subdivision.
It's a security gated village community. Yes, with high walls all around the village and quite a number of stationed security guards. These guards are also 'roving guards'. Means they ride around the whole village 24/7

No jeepney or tricycle is allowed past the barrier controlled and guarded security gate. Taxi's are allowed in but the driver must exchange their licence for a security pass. No Licence, no pass, no entry.

According to a number of independent reports Davao City is supposedly the safest city in the Philippines and the 4th safest in the world. Whether that's justified or not I'm not really bothered. I can only state that I feel safe.

Living in our gated village community doesn't mean our house/lot has any surrounding walls, fences or steel grills at the doors and windows. That doesn't mean to say we will never do that. We already decided to buy a property here and during the renovations we'll incorporate whatever security measures we believe are needed. We've already planned to install double glazed window units all over and if we feel that security walls, camera's or whatever is needed then that's what we'll do.
It's never out of the question that we would move to another island lock stock and barrel if we believed we needed to. We already have our eye to buying a place outside of Mindanao
Safety and security is always up there on our retirement living priority list.

Of course this kind of secure village lifestyle we enjoy isn't going to suit everyone and living where we do does cost a bit more. Wherever you decide to live comes down to balancing out the positives and the negatives on a cost benefit basis.

I had people tell me that I'm not able to experience what the real Philippines is all about". That I'm not able to peel back the veneer and see what's underneath.
I can say this. I've already been there, read the book, seen the film and got the T-Shirt.
I'm not on holiday, I'm living here in a retirement life. I want the modern lifestyle and village amenities I have now.
I'm lucky I found peace and contentment in my retirement.

We originally planned to 'go native' and we tried living in our beach house, with a view to a complete 'live-in' refurbishment and maybe turn it into a B&B for foreigners on holiday.

We had a lucky escape early on before splashing out oodles of cash
We really just don't like living out in a Barangay

I don't want that chaotic street noise, the loud music, videoke, wandering drug pushers/uses, drunks and groups of unemployed youths either making a nuisance or creating a point of uncertain safety. Don't forget in the Philippines it's allowed to own a gun. Many own more than one and many carry them around permit or not.

Most folks who can afford it put high walls and security gates all around their property. If they can afford to move into a secure subdivision they'll do that too. Now there's a good reason for that IMO.

So do I feel safe ?
Well in all honesty not always.
When we're in our village I do. Probably a little more than where we lived in the UK strangely

On a day-to-day basis outside our community I don't feel as inconspicious or safe as where I lived in UK but not so much that it really worries me.
I'm always aware of my surroundings and always avoid any places that I don't believe I could control

Mind you it's always going to make you feel overcautious when family and friends are always telling you to be careful and don't do this or that or don't go wandering around alone.
Personal observation indicates that there's a degree of mistrust between the haves and the have nots.

I guess I could be criticised for this but I do cycle around alone and I'll walk around the local area and the market alone too.
I often go to the market alone after dark, but there's still plenty of people around.

That's something I wouldn't usually consider doing back in my UK hometown.