Hi guys,

hope you're all well.

I'm marrying my fiancé in January 2015.

I'm an Irish citizen, and hence we will be applying under the EU Family Permit visa.

I have heard of people getting an EEA Registration Certificate, which is basically a document which proves that I'm an EU citizen, hence the reason we are applying under the EEA Family Permit, and why we are eligible for this..

I have read it's the EEA Registration Certificate that is useful in demonstrating this, but why is it needed on top of a copy of my passport, which clearly shows I'm an Irish citizen?!

I would have no problem applying for this EEA Registration Certificate, but the thing is that I need to submit my passport with the application. This naturally means that, for a number of weeks/months, I will be without a passport which I need for business travel, trips home to Ireland, emergencies etc etc.

I have one option which is to book an appointment at the UKBA in Croydon at the cost of 400 GBP, and receive the EEA Registration Certificate on the same day!

Anyone care to shine some light on this topic.

Sorry for the rant-style tone!

This visa process is just a case of thinking you know everything about this visa, until suddenly you lift a rock, and out comes a crab and pinches you on the nose!!!

Here's a link explaining what an EEA registration certificate
https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate

Thanks guys,
Ed