I have a friend who works as a prison officer, and has done so for many years. He also has strong opinions on this subject and feels that the system is too soft on a variety of types of criminals. However where I think he would differ from some of the opinions being expressed here is that this is either a new, or growing problem. He tells me that it has always been like this and is actually not getting any worse. How to deter and punish the offenders is quite another issue.
I know many would re-introduce the death penalty for murder and a "lock em up and throw away the key" policy for other serious offences. I am not so sure that this would actually deter offenders who often are pretty simple, or drugged up, from committing offences. It might make some folk feel better because they have achieved a type of retribution but would it make us safer? I am not convinced. The problem is deep one which I fear will never be completely solved. The evil, the lazy, the envious and the mentally ill will always be with us.
I think there is a widespread, media inspired, perception that things are worse today than they used to be which is not actually true. My own parents used to feel exactly the same in their old age.