Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Philippine Embassy - FAQS

Frequently Asked Questions – Visa Services

Q. How long can a visa holder stay in the Philippines?

Normally, a visitor with a visa is given a 59-day stay in the Philippines. Should a visitor wish to remain longer than his authorized initial stay of 59 days, he may request extension of stay from the Bureau of Immigration Office (www.immigration.gov.ph) and pay the necessary extension fees. He will also have to pay the Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) and the corresponding Legal Research Fee (LRF) in the total amount of Php710.00 upon his departure.

Q. I am a British/Irish citizen. Do I need a visa to travel to the
    Philippines?

British and Irish passport holders do not need a visa if their intended stay in the Philippines will not exceed 21 days.

British and Irish passport holders availing themselves of the 21-day no visa policy should have a passport valid for at least six months beyond their intended stay in the Philippines and a plane or ship ticket valid for onward or return journey to their country of origin or next country of destination.
    British nationals are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided: (a) they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination, and (b) their passports are valid for at least six (6) months beyond their intended stay in the Philippines:

Further inquiries may be addressed to the Visa Section at:

Email: visaofficer@philemb.co.uk
    Tel. No: (+44) (0)207 361 4642
    Address: Visa Section
    Philippine Embassy
    9a Palace Green
    London W8 4QE

Q. I have multiple- entry visa valid for six (6) months. Can I stay continuously in
    the Philippines for six (6) months?

Foreigners whose intended stay in the Philippines will exceed 21 days have to apply for visa before travelling to the Philippines. A temporary visitor’s visa may be valid for single or multiple entries.

The validity of an entry visa should be differentiated from the length of stay in the Philippines. A three-month validity means that a person may enter the Philippines within the three (3) months from the date of issuance of visa to the date of its expiry. If a traveller is in possession of a six-month multiple visa, this means that he may enter the Philippines any number of times provided it is within the six-month period specified in the visa.

As a general rule, the Philippines requires foreign nationals travelling to the Philippines to have passports valid for at least six (6) months beyond their intended period of stay in the country.

British/Irish nationals married to Filipino/former Filipino nationals may avail themselves of the balikbayan privilege if they travel to the Philippines with their Filipino/former Filipino spouses.

Q. What is a balikbayan privilege?

A balikbayan privilege entitles its holder to stay in the Philippines for a maximum of one year without visa. Spouses and unmarried children below 18 years of age of Filipino/former Filipino nationals may avail themselves of this privilege if they travel to the Philippines with their Filipino/former Filipino spouses or parent/s.

Q. Do I need any vaccination when travelling to the Philippines?

Cholera and small pox vaccinations are not required for travellers from the United Kingdom and Ireland. If a person, however, arrives in the Philippines from a foreign port infected with cholera, small pox or plague, typhus or yellow fever, he will be required to present on arrival a certificate of immunization for the said disease/s.

In case where several persons are included in one (1) passport, a separate application and payment must be made for each person. All persons included in the passport must be properly identified with a photograph affixed to the passport. Lack of photograph is sufficient ground for denial of visa.

Q. I am a foreign national and I wish to work and live in the Philippines. What visa
    should I apply for?

Foreigners married to Filipino citizens wishing to reside in the Philippines may qualify for the non-quota immigrant visa. Those not included in this category wishing to reside in the Philippines or stay for an indefinite period may apply for either a quota immigrant visa or a retiree visa. Those who are sent by their companies to work in the Philippines may apply for an employment visa.

Q. I want to study in the Philippines. What visa should I apply for?

A foreigner who wishes to study in the Philippines should apply for a student’s visa.

Q. I am a foreign national and I intend to marry a Filipino national in the
    Philippines. What should I do?

A British/Irish national intending to marry a Filipino national in the Philippines has to secure a birth certificate and a Certificate of No Impediment to Marry (CENOMAR) from his local registry office. He then has to present these documents to his Embassy/Consulate in the Philippines for him to be issued a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. The said certificate is needed for his application for a marriage license at the registry office of the locality/church where the marriage is to take place.

Q. We are both foreign nationals and we intend to get married in the Philippines.
    What requirements do we need?

Foreign nationals intending to get married in the Philippines should contact their respective embassies in the Philippines for other requirements.

The British Embassy in Manila (www.britishembassy.gov.uk/philippines) has a list of requirements for British nationals intending to get married in the Philippines.

Q. I am a foreign national and I intend to retire in the Philippines. What visa
    should I apply for?

Foreign nationals who wish to retire in the Philippines may apply for a retiree visa. For information on the requirements and procedure, please visit the website of the Philippine Retirement Authority at www.pra.gov.ph.

Q. I am a foreign national. My child is travelling to the Philippines with a friend.
    What requirements does my child need to travel to the Philippines?

British/Irish minor children (15 years and below) do not need a visa to travel to the Philippines if their intended stay will not exceed 21 days. Beyond 21 days, they need to apply for visa before they travel.

For foreign minors (15 years and below) travelling to the Philippines unaccompanied by either of their parents or legal guardian, please see the requirements for such.

Q. I am a former Filipino citizen. Do I need a visa to travel to the Philippines?

No. As a former Filipino citizen, you may avail yourself of the balikbayan privilege.

Frequently Asked Questions on Dual Citizenship

Q. What are the benefits and privileges of dual citizenship?

Dual citizens can enjoy full civil and political rights in the Philippines, including the following:

a. right to vote and be elected or appointed to any public office in the Philippines subject to existing Philippine laws,
    b. right to acquire land and other properties under his name,
    c. right to engage in business in the Philippines and have 100% ownership of the business,
    d. right to reside in the Philippine without need of visa, and
    e. right to practise profession in the Philippines upon application of a license or permit to engage in such practice

Q. What is the procedure for Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition?

Applicants for Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition have to submit a completed Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition form with all the documentary requirements to the Consular Section of the Philippine Embassy. Applications have to be filed one (1) hour before the scheduled oath taking (which is at 12:30 p.m. and at 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, except during Philippine national holidays and UK bank holidays).

Applicants who live near any of the Philippine Honorary Consulates in Liverpool, Glasgow, Dublin and Reykjavik, may file their application in the Philippine Honorary Consulate nearest to them and take their oath before the Philippine honorary consul in the area.

Q. Can I apply for Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition by post?

Applications can be filed by post but the applicant still have to personally appear before a consul (if abroad) or at the Bureau of Immigration (if in the Philippines) for the oath taking ceremony.

Q. What are the requirements for Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition?

More Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What do I need to execute a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) to authorize
    someone in the Philippines to act on my behalf (like collect my pension or buy
    land/property in my name)?

You should submit in person a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) together with a photocopy of the data page of your passport and a fee of GBP18.00. Also, bring a valid passport to enable us to verify your identity.

If you cannot personally appear before a consular officer, you have to get the SPA notarized by a notary public or any commissioner of oath, and then have the signature of the notary public authenticated by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (www.fco.gov.uk) before sending it to the Philippine Embassy for legalization.

Q. I have an indefinite leave of stay in the UK and I want to petition my spouse and
    child/children to join me in the UK. What documents do I need?

Since this concerns the issuance of a UK visa, the requirements for such should be inquired from the British Embassy in Manila (www.britishembassy.gov.uk/philippines). If the petitioner is required by the British Embassy to submit an affidavit of support, the petitioner should execute one and have it authenticated by the Philippine Embassy. A parental travel permit should also be executed by the petitioner and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy.

Q. What documents do I need to invite a friend from the Philippines to the UK?The petitioner should inquire from the British Embassy in Manila (www.britishembassy.gov.uk/philippines) or the appropriate British office in the UK about the requirements for a UK visitor’s visa.

Q. I am a Filipino national based in the UK. Can I get married at the Philippine Embassy? What papers do I need?Yes, but only if you are also marrying a Filipino national. You have to present an NSO-authenticated birth certificate and a Certificate of No Impediment to Marry (CENOMAR), also from the NSO (www.e-census.com.ph), to the Philippine Embassy in London for you to be issued a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry and to be able to apply for a marriage license.

Q. I am a Filipino citizen but am about to acquire British citizenship. Do I still need to report the birth of my child at the Philippine Embassy?

Yes, you should if you wish to have your child’s birth registered with the NSO and thereby have a permanent repository of the proof of Filipino citizenship of your child. Report of birth is also a requirement for your child to get a Philippine passport.

Q. I am a Filipino citizen who got married in the UK to a British national. Do I still need to report my marriage to the Philippine Embassy?
    Yes. You need to report your marriage to the Philippine Embassy for your marriage to be registered with NSO and recognized in the Philippines. We shall also require this report if you apply to amend your name in your passport to reflect your married name.

Q. How much is the fee for late registration of birth? marriage?

The fee for late registration of birth and/or marriage is GBP18.00. This is in addition to the notarization fee of GBP18.00 that you have to pay when you report a birth or marriage.

Q. How long does it take for the Report/s of Birth and Marriage to be registered with the NSO?

It usually take about a month or two. Upon receipt of the Report of Birth/Marriage, the Philippine Embassy shall forward it to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila for onward transmittal to NSO. You shall keep your copy of the Report of Birth.

Q. Is it possible to have a late registration of birth? Marriage?
    Yes, please see the section on Report of Birth and/or Report of Marriage.

Q. Can I register the birth of a child of Filipino-British/Irish parents at the Philippine Embassy?

Yes. The birth of a child/children of Filipino-British/Irish/Icelandic (or any foreign national) parentage can be registered with the Philippine Embassy if one of the parents was still a Filipino citizen at the time of birth of the child/children.

Q. Is it possible to register a marriage of a Filipino national at the Philippine Embassy in London even if the said marriage took place outside the area of jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy in London?

Yes.

For the requirements on Philippine citizenship retention/reacquisition, please refer to the section on Retention/Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship.

Q. What is an ACR?
    An Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) is a proof of identification as resident alien in the Philippines issued by the Bureau of Immigration to an immigrant visa holder.

Q. What is an ICR?
    An Identification Certificate of Registration (ICR) is issued to a person who has acquired or retained his Philippine citizenship. A dual citizen who is previously a holder of 13(G) visa may file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of his ACR and issuance of an ICR.

Q. My husband is a foreign national. Can I include him in the petition for dual citizenship?
    No. However, he can apply for a non-quota immigrant visa, which will eventually give him permanent residency in the Philippines. If he wishes to acquire Philippine citizenship, he can later apply for naturalization.

Q. Can I include my children in the petition for dual citizenship?

Only unmarried children who are below 18 years of age can be included in the petition for dual citizenship.

Q. What passport will I use when travelling to the Philippines?

Dual citizens are advised to: (a) bring both their Philippine and UK/EU passport when travelling to the Philippines, (b) use their Philippine passport when entering and transacting business in the Philippines, and (c) use their British/EU passport when entering the UK/Europe.

Q. As a dual citizen, do I have to pay income tax in the Philippines?

Not necessarily, unless you earn income in the Philippines.

Q. I am a dual citizen. Can I own properties in the Philippines?

Yes. As a dual citizen, you can enjoy all the rights and privileges accorded to Filipino citizens.

Q. I am a dual citizen. Will I need a visa to the Philippines if I use my foreign
    passport when entering the Philippines?

No. Just present proof that you are a dual citizen.

Q. As a dual citizen, how long can I stay in the Philippines?

You can stay in the Philippines for as long as you want provided that you entered the Philippines as a Filipino/dual citizen.

Q. As a dual citizen, am I exempted from Philippine travel tax?

Yes. As a dual citizen, you will also enjoy the travel tax exemption accorded to Filipino citizens permanently residing abroad and to OFWs and their dependents, provided that you permanently reside overseas.

Q. What document can I present in the absence of a naturalization certificate?

In lieu of naturalization certification, you can present a certificate from the authority that issued you your foreign citizenship or any other document that will indicate the date when you acquired your foreign citizenship.

Q. As a dual citizen, do I have to apply for a Philippine passport?

Application for Philippine passport is not compulsory. However, dual citizens are strongly encouraged to have a valid Philippine passport when entering or during their sojourn in the Philippines. Dual citizens can always present their Certificate of Oath of Allegiance as proof of their Philippine citizenship but the said certificate is not valid as a travel document.

Philippine Embassy has moved to

8 Suffolk Street
    London, SW1 4HG

By telephone:
    020 74511800

By facsimile:
    020 79309787

By email:
    embassy@philemb.co.uk

By post:
    8 Suffolk Street
    London