Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

"Frozen Filipina" couple arrested..........

Joanna Demafelis: Employers of Filipina maid found dead in freezer arrested.

The employers of a Filipina maid found dead in a freezer in Kuwait have been arrested in the Syrian capital Damascus after a manhunt lasting several weeks.

Joanna Demafelis, 29, was found frozen in her employers' apartment more than a year after she was reported missing.

Both Nader Essam Assaf and his Syrian wife Mona are being held on suspicion of murder, officials said on Saturday.

Mr Assaf, who is a Lebanese national, was transferred to Beirut but his wife remains in custody in Damascus.

On Saturday, a Lebanese judicial official said the couple had left Kuwait and made a "very brief stopover" in Lebanon before travelling on the neighbouring Syria.

"Lebanon has asked Kuwait to pass on [Mr Assaf's] police record," the official added.
    Ms Demafelis's death prompted outrage in the Philippines and a ban on Filipinos travelling to work in Kuwait.

Both suspects became the subject of an international manhunt aided by Interpol.

Philippines foreign secretary Alan Peter Cayetano welcomed the news of the arrests, calling it a "critical first step in our quest for justice for Joanna".

The maid's body was found this month with apparent signs of torture, Philippine officials said, in an apartment that had apparently been abandoned for at least a year.

In the aftermath of the discovery, Philippine authorities say they facilitated the return of more than 1,000 "distressed overseas Filipino workers" in Kuwait, most of whom had worked as household servants.

The country's department of foreign affairs estimate that some 252,000 of its citizens are living and working there.

Kuwaiti authorities, meanwhile, have vowed to do everything possible to see justice is done.

Mr Cayetano said he expected Kuwaiti authorities to request the extradition of Mr Assaf from Lebanon, to stand trial in Kuwait.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43177349
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 14th April 2018 at 16:58. Reason: Properly paragraphed the thread to facilitate easier reading

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    Good. Damned animals.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Good. Damned animals.
    She was on $400 a month her body was bruised and is suspected to have been kept in the freezer for a year, the wife used to beat her and the husband is saying his wife did the murder.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    Heartbreaking, isn't it. ... and the only 'crime' these little Filipina OFWs have committed is to have been born into a poor family.

Is it any wonder why Duterte wants to ban Filipinos from working in Kuwait. Under previous governments incidents like this would have been swept under the carpet no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Is it any wonder why Duterte wants to ban Filipinos from working in Kuwait. Under previous governments incidents like this would have been swept under the carpet no doubt.
    But many prefer to live and work in Kuwait even illegally rather than the alternative of returning to the PI...

Filipinos stay on despite free tickets, appeal by Duterte

Embassy officials concerned by no-shows at the airport
    KUWAIT: Despite an offer of free tickets to all undocumented Filipinos, many have opted to stay and there have been some no-shows at Kuwait International Airport too. “I want to go back home but I have financial responsibilities in the Philippines,” said Cynthia, not her real name. “If I go back home, how can I provide for my family? I have three kids and I am a single mother,” said Cynthia, who was cleared to leave Kuwait a few days after submitting an application at the embassy. However, on the day of her flight, she decided to back out and did not go to the airport.
    The Philippines Embassy admitted that despite free air tickets, 203 Filipinos who applied during the amnesty and were cleared by the immigration authorities did not show up, resulting in a big loss, as the tickets were booked and fully paid by the Philippine government. Embassy officials said many people applied during the amnesty in the hope they could come back under a new sponsor. However, with the current labor-related problems with Kuwait, returning to Kuwait is not possible, as President Rodrigo Duterte has banned all new Filipino workers from heading to Kuwait. Duterte is expected to visit Kuwait for bilateral talks soon.
    “Out of the almost 3,000 undocumented Filipinos sent home under the amnesty program of the Kuwaiti government, 203 did not appear on the scheduled flight date,” said Vice Consul Charleson Hermosura. “I am particularly concerned about the number of no-shows on the day of their flights at the airport. We are talking about millions of pesos in losses here – flights and seats have been paid for, and we cannot get a refund. My advice to all those availing of the amnesty is to take it and leave Kuwait, or else legalize your status here,” he said.
    Reported deaths
    The total ban on Filipino workers was triggered by the death of Filipino housemaid Joana Demafelis, whose body was found inside a freezer in a Maidan Hawally apartment and the deaths of seven Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in a span of two months, which were reported and verified by Kuwaiti authorities. “If I go home without any assurance that I could come back, then I better stay. Anyway, I have lived in Kuwait for many years and I am safe here, so I am willing to gamble to work,” said Cynthia.
    She has been working as a seamstress at a dressmaking shop in Hawally governorate. “I am safe here. No one is bothering me when it comes to my visa. I want to go home, but what if the ban remains for years,” asked Cynthia. “My accommodation is just across the shop where I work. I don’t go out much, so I’m staying for now,” she said.
    The Philippine’s department of foreign affairs has sent a 10-member team to help process the documentations and repatriations of their countrymen. The team is headed by Alexander J Riosa, who also expressed frustration that people who applied for the amnesty failed to show up at the airport. “We are really thankful to the Kuwaiti government for this opportunity for our people to leave without being penalized. However, there are some sad stories and experiences shared with us. But we are happy that we can help and assist our countrymen,” Riosa said.
    Underwhelming results
    The interior ministry extended the amnesty for residency violators for two more months as the results of the initial period were not as good as hoped for, as only 10-15 percent of illegals benefited from it. Security sources quoted in a report published by Al-Rai yesterday expressed doubts over the benefit of extending the period, as results show that some workers do not really want to correct their status and leave the country.
    While the interior ministry considers the amnesty extension as a reflection of Kuwait’s humanitarian approach towards those who live in it, the ministry did not give reasons for the low percentage of those who took advantage of the decision. The sources said that the interior ministry does not have answers, as the decision provided major concessions to violators in order to correct their status or leave the country without having to face legal procedures or pay fines. Despite this, the percentage of beneficiaries is very low compared to the number of registered violators at the ministry, which is around 154,000.
    “The interior ministry aims at giving the largest possible number of residency violators time to take advantage of the grace period, be it to leave or correct their status,” the sources said. They added that the ministry also extended the period to counter those claiming they had no knowledge of the decision, and to keep some embassies that demanded an extension in check, as they claim they want to send violators residing in their shelters back to their countries.
    The results of the initial period the interior ministry gave to violators to leave the country without having to pay fines show that around 15-20,000 had left, which is no more than 13 percent of the number of illegals, although the ministry had hoped 100,000 out of 154,636 violators would leave, Al-Rai reported.
    http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/...ppeal-duterte/
    13% have left my maths isn't the best but I know that means 87% haven't,that tells us something.

Trusted Member
    They need the money... desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    They need the money... desperately.
    Yup, lifes better abroad working illegally than back home in abject poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Yup, lifes better abroad working illegally than back home in abject poverty.
    Well, they've got three choices. Those you've mentioned and also hooking up with a western guy on a dating site.

And......if I'm being perfectly honest....I can understand why they do it as it's the better/safer option for them.

As for the vermin responsible for this tragic loss of life, I'd like to see them locked in a freezer ALIVE. Revenge is best served cold.

From what I have been told the lady herself was an illegal recruit in Kuwait,if that's true she had hobsons choice as there was no amnesty,she was between a rock and a hard place

A national shame': The death and homecoming of Joanna Demafelis.
    In May 2014, Joanna Demafelis left for Kuwait to help secure a better future for her family. She comes home in a box nearly 4 years later.

MANILA, Philippines – On February 12, 2018, Joanna Demafelis returned to the Philippines in a wooden crate, welcomed by grieving family members who still couldn't believe that she had been dead for nearly two years, her corpse kept in a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait.
    The gruesome discovery of her remains sent shockwaves across the overseas Filipino worker (OFW) community and stoked outrage back home. President Rodrigo Duterte called her death a "national shame" and ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait.
    Five years earlier, in January 2013, Joanna had not even thought of leaving the country.
    The 26-year-old worked as a housekeeper for her relatives in Parañaque. She had enough money to send home to her parents in Sara, Iloilo, and she had the freedom to stroll around the country's largest malls.
    But in late 2013, a powerful storm that swept across Eastern Visayas altered her plans. Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) left over 6,000 people dead, and P4.55-billion worth of infrastructure lost.

Among those who suddenly found themselves homeless in the aftermath of Yolanda was the Demafelis family. The raging floods stripped down the family home to its frame, and felled the old avocado tree that gave shade to the 9 Demafelis siblings when they were younger.
    The rice and sugarcane fields that farmer-parents tilled became pits filled with trash and debris, while their town center had ruptured roads and broken buildings.
    "Napakahirap na panahon na iyon sa aming pamilya (It was a very difficult time for our family)," Joejet Demafelis, Joanna's older brother, told Rappler in a phone interview.
    Joejet explained that her parents only leased the farmland. Since the storm destroyed their crops and the land could not be tilled, they had no other source of income. Their debts quickly piled up.
    From Sara town a month after the typhoon, Joanna made a decision that ultimately sent her on her ill-fated journey to Kuwait. She sent a chat message to a distant aunt, Agnes Tuballes.
    "Tita, puwede mo ba akong tulungan? Gusto ko mag-abroad (Auntie, could you help me? I'd like to go abroad)," Tuballes recalled Joanna telling her the first time they communicated.

In May 2014, 5 months after she talked to her “aunt,” Joanna finally hopped on a plane headed to Kuwait. The Arab country is only the size of the Philippines’ Zamboanga Peninsula, but had enough oil reserves to make it the 4th richest country in the world per capita, second only in the Gulf region to Qatar.
    As demand rose for househelp in Kuwait, many Filipinas flocked to the country. Tales of abuse followed. Filipinas fell to their deaths from apartment buildings, for reasons still unknown. A domestic helper died after an illegally-leashed lion pounced on her.
    In Kuwait, Philippine government offices at any given time sheltered hundreds of Filipinas pleading to go home after their daring escape from their abusive employers.
    "Embassies report receiving thousands of complaints about confinement [of domestic helpers] in the house, months or years of unpaid wages, long work hours without rest, and verbal, physical, and sexual abuse," Human Rights Watch said of the plight of migrant domestic workers in Kuwait in its 2013 report.
    Joejet said the risk involved discouraged Joanna, but there were other things she found far more frightening: a house forever half-built and unpainted, a family dining table always empty, her parents laboring in farmlands for the rest of their days, her youngest sibling robbed of education, and another sister taking the risk for the family instead.
    Joanna overcame her fears and got her parents' blessing to work in Kuwait.
    Kuwait provided the job she could never have in Sara, working as a domestic helper with a minimum monthly salary of $400 – around 10 times her salary as a helper in her homeland.
    The high wage came at a high price. Kuwait, like other Arab countries, uses the Kafala sponsorship system – an archaic arrangement for foreigners seeking work in the expatriate-dominated country.
    Under the system, migrant workers like OFWs cannot enter the country to work just on their own qualifications. They need to look for a sponsor who will act as their bridge to the country.
    Sponsors can be multimillion-dollar companies or simply Kuwaiti families looking for housekeepers. OFW deployment to Kuwait is mostly hinged on the latter.
    According to data from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), over 240,000 Filipino workers are deployed in Kuwait for work, around 165,000 of whom are mostly female domestic helpers.
    In the case of domestic helpers, Kuwait requires a “domestic servant visa" usually processed by a recruitment agency.
    The employer gets to keep the worker’s passport. The worker can’t change jobs without the approval of her employers. If the employer fires his worker, the worker would have to look for another sponsor or she would be deported. If the worker escapes from employment, she can be penalized.
    On top of the strict laws governing domestic helpers, the laws that protect them from violence “haven’t been effective,” according to a Kuwaiti Times article written by Sana Kalim.
    “In Kuwaiti culture, problems of spousal abuse are often dealt with within the family, which is the core institution of the society. Kuwaiti families often consider it an embarrassment if they cannot successfully address such problems without outside involvement,” says the country briefer of the United States embassy in Kuwait.
    “These attitudes are reflected in Kuwaiti law, which considers an assault against another person to be a misdemeanor, rather than a felony, unless a weapon was used,” it added.
    Joanna also had to abide by her employers' house rules. Her cellphone was apparently confiscated and she was allowed access only every 3 months.
    These were the rules Joanna had to live with when she was recruited to work in the country’s Al Shaab region. Presidential Adviser on OFWs Abdullah Mama-o went as far as saying that these rules paved the way for Joanna’s death.
    “We may have all the best laws in this country to protect the interest of our domestic workers working in different countries in the world, but if we still have this Kafala system in different parts of the Middle East, we will not have that kind of protection for our workers,” Mama-o said during a Senate probe into OFW deaths.
    “This Kafala system should be out because no matter how we protect our domestic helpers…our domestic helpers will still be locked in the room, they cannot go out, they cannot make any contact with the outside world, they cannot send letters, they cannot call. That can be done by the employer, and this happened to the case of Demafelis,” he added.
    For OFW rights group Migrante International, however, there is no need to look far to find and correct the policies that aided Joanna's death.
    According to Migrante International spokesperson Arman Hernando, abused domestic helpers first confide in their families back home.
    “When [domestic helpers] are alone there, the persons they really confide information about their experiences first are their relatives,” Hernando told Rappler in a phone interview.
    The Demafelis family knew there was a problem in September 2016, when they couldn't find two of Joanna's Facebook profiles after a call. They tried to reach her roaming number, but she didn't answer. That September 2016 call was the last time any of them heard her voice.
    Unable to sleep out of anxiety, the Demafelis family turned to the government, particularly to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and the POEA for help.
    The two state agencies failed to find Joanna as her recruitment agency, Our Lady of Mt Carmel Global E-Human Resources Incorporated, had already closed.
    Kuwaiti authorities found Joanna by chance almost two years later. They went to her employers' apartment because of unpaid business dues, and made the shocking discovery when they opened the freezer in the abandoned home.
    Hernando said the Philippine government failed to find Joanna because the government had too much confidence in recruiters and employers.
    “Ipinapasa nila ‘yung obligasyon na i-settle at ayusin 'yung problema ng mga OFW sa mga recruitment agencies katulad ng nangyari kay Joanna (They pass the obligation of settling OFW problems to recruitment agencies, just like what happned with Joanna),” he said.
    He was referring to Republic Act No. 8042 or the Migrant Workers Act. Section 29 of the law states that “the migration of workers becomes strictly a matter between the worker and his foreign employer.”
    “Ang gusto sana natin hindi na idaan sa recruitment agency at sa employer, kundi diretso nang tinitingnan ng gobyerno ang kalagayan ng mga OFW, lalo na sa mga bansa tulad ng Kuwait,” Hernando added.
    (What we want is that the government would not have to go through the recruitment agency or employer, but instead go straight to the OFWs to see how they are, especially in countries like Kuwait.)
    Joanna may have also been a victim of illegal recruitment, a business compatible with a country of an estimated 10 million OFWs.
    With Joanna pleading to be sent abroad in 2013, Tuballes referred her to Our Lady of Mt Carmel Global E-Human Resources Incorporated. It was not a simple friendly referral – in endorsing Joanna, Tuballes earned P13,000 from a certain Ara Midtimbang who was looking for OFWs to work in Kuwait.
    Midtimbang promised P5,000 for each referral, Tuballes said. It is unclear why she was paid more than double in the case of Joanna.
    At Mt Carmel, Demafelis met the agency's assistant general manager, Mary Gay Canlas Abrantes, and secretary Marissa Ansaji Mohammad, who apparently fixed her deployment papers.
    According to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Joanna was handled by the Fadilah Farz Kaued Khodor Recruitment Office while she was in Kuwait.
    The two employers who owned the apartment where Joanna was found dead were already her second employers, the NBI said. It is unclear who Joanna’s first employer was, why she left, and how she was able to find Lebanese Nader Essam Assa and his Syrian wife, Mona Hassoun, the suspects in her murder.
    Abrantes, Mohammad, and Tuballes are now with the NBI, while Assa and Hassoun had been arrested in Lebanon.
    Following Joanna’s death, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) set up a command center for OFW abuse cases and sent a rapid response team to monitor abuses in the Gulf countries.
    Joanna's death prompted the governments of the Philippines and Kuwait to agree to fast-track a bilateral agreement that promises more protection for tens of thousands of OFWs in Kuwait.
    On Saturday, March 3, Joanna was laid to rest in her hometown. Hundreds attended her funeral mass, including Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.
    When she was laid to rest, the text on her tombstone read: “For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord.”
    Joanna was finally home.
    https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in...lis-ofw-kuwait

Trusted Member
    So very sad.

The fiends involved are getting the rope for this.

Justice prevails.

Thread Information