Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Duterte threatens to shut down Boracay

He's not mixing his words........

"You go into the water, it’s smelly. Smell of what? ..... Because everything that goes out in Boracay...it’s destroying the environment or the Republic of the Philippines and creating a disaster coming,"

https://www.rappler.com/nation/19570...-close-boracay

Trusted Member
    Time also to introduce proper penalties for the residents who are contributing to the vast land-fill site that the Philippines is rapidly becoming... not just Boracay.

Stop LITTERING !

The whole place is disgusting . Garbage wherever you look. Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Time also to introduce proper penalties for the residents who are contributing to the vast land-fill site that the Philippines is rapidly becoming... not just Boracay.

Stop LITTERING !

The whole place is disgusting . Garbage wherever you look. Tragic.
    The trouble we are having here is that the main dump will not accept anything not bio degradable so no one knows what to do with the stuff!!
    Locals used to burn it with leaves but local bureaucracy is getting stricter about the no burning policy so now the fishermen just chuck it in the sea...
    We burn ours at night so the smoke is not so visible..

Trusted Member
    I still can't get used to the locals just throwing everything (litter) on to the floor, wherever they are. They just don't care. I don't like being negative about the place as a rule, but I can't forgive such behaviour, which has fouled up the whole country.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I still can't get used to the locals just throwing everything (litter) on to the floor, wherever they are. They just don't care. I don't like being negative about the place as a rule, but I can't forgive such behaviour, which has fouled up the whole country.
    Where we live,Littering per se doesn't seem to be a big problem..That surprises me given the fact that to this day I dont think I have ever seen a public litter bin that was provided by the authorities..

Trusted Member
    I don't need a litter bin Fred.

In the absence of one, I take my waste home with me.

I have yet to see a road in the Phils which wasn't strewn both sides with garbage.

It's down to attitude. Amazing that the locals haven't heard of cleanliness being next to godliness... considering their devotion to the bible.

I just watched Vinnie Jones world's toughest cops this morning. The Philippine one. They are conducting a raid on Tondo. Across the wall - in huge letters - is, indeed, CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS. The street is a sea of rubbish.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Haven't been to Boracay for years. You paid the pollution tax before you boarded the boat across. How come the tax hasn't been used to address the problem?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    They just need a few of these....

'State of calamity': Boracay warned as sewage problem turns Philippines tourist hotspot into 'cesspool'

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened to declare a “state of calamity” over sewage and pollution problems in one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations.

Mr Duterte has given local authorities six months to clean up the small island of Boracay, almost 200 miles south of the capital Manila, after declaring it a “cesspool.”

Boracay’s white sand beaches have previously been feted as among the most beautiful on the planet. In 2012 it was declared best island in the world by Travel and Leisure magazine, and later received accolades from Conde Nast traveller.

As late as last year it still ranked among the top 25 of TripAdvisor’s world’s best beaches, but recent reports suggest that the beauty spot is now facing an ecological crisis fuelled by illegal structures and sewage problems as the island caters to an influx of tourists.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-philippines/

Trusted Member
    It was always going to be ruined. Thank goodness SOMETHING positive is being done about it.

Boracay will be closed from 26th April although if you arrived on the 24th for example you can stay until your departure date.

Just returned from a month in the Philippines which included 5 days R&R in Boracay.

Must say I didn't notice an awful lot a difference from the last time I was there almost 4 years ago.

No smoking on the beach and large teams of people cleaning the beach in the evening, but things much the same. I did think that there was a noticeable drop in amount of people there considering the time of year so the bad publicity has clearly had an impact.

On a cheerier note ... back, Marco!

Thread Information