Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going back to Philippines 13A and one way ticket

Hi all, well after being in Ireland then Scotland and now back in Ireland.

Finally we have decided to go back to Philippines.

Flight booked for 13th Dec.

Now I booked 2 single tickets. I contacted the airline because they said I need return or onward ticket or they won't let me board.

I told them though I have been out of Philippines for 2 years, I have 13A Residency Card and that as I understood with this I do not need a return or onward ticket. They just quoted the rules and advised I contact the Embassy. So far the Embassy Consulate in Dublin have not answered my email, I emailed rather than phoned as a positive reply would mean I have it in black and white.

However it's maybe wise just in case to get an onward ticket. I have found some on Sky Scanner for Malaysia for 46 euro, Vietnam 50 euro, Taiwan 108 euro, Malaysia the cheapest.

Anyone any advice or input on this? Thanks and I missed you all.

Wow. Are you going back to Malaybalay, Stewart?

Air Asia are commencing flights on Dec 21st from Kuala Lumpur to Davao btw.

We will be visiting Malaybalay for a while, but I'm thinking it's not as safe there now as last time. Probably ok in Malaybalay itself, but I've heard of NPA activity on the Cagayan to Malaybaly road, though Mrs still has property there which is ideal, but I have safety concerns. We are thinking to look at Dumaguete, there is 200sq mtrs we been offered for 250 thou - worth over 350 - but I'd like at least double that land. Bohol is also a choice

It`s not a certainty but you may have broken the terms of your R.P visa by being away too long..
    Even if they accept that it`s still valid on your return there will be fines to pay for the years you failed to report.
    If you still have a valid ACR card to show the airlines however,I cant see you having any issues with onward ticket issues as you are exempt. (unless they argue that you have invalidated your visa)

10. Who are exempt from the “six-month passport validity” rule?

1. Philippine passport holders;
    2. Former Filipinos and their dependents (immediate family members);
    3. Permanent residents and holders of other special visa categories requiring temporary residents (with valid ACR I-Cards);

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req

Thanks Fred, now I'm more worried about if my residency is broken than I am of needing a return ticket.

When I left the Philippines I was of the understanding that if I wasn't in the country to do my yearly report, then it was ok but must report as soon as I return.

What if they say I'm due fines? Will I be held at the airport immigration until I get the money? I won't have pesos on arrival. Heck, now I'm wondering how much for about 2 years in fines.

I wouldn't worry about it too much..

Just did a quick search and found a comment by a guy in your position.

I have done this , I pushed off to Saudi for a couple of years to work.
    I missed 2 Annual reports, When returning to the Philippines, It was no bother at NAIA, stamped through as usual , { As a 13a holder } & then when reporting to Immigration here in Bacolod, No drama's , just paid the missed annual report fee's { P260 } & all was right with the world again !... incredible !!!.
    He said this in 2014 so rules might have changed..I have no clue. IMO you will pay any fines due (if any) when you report early next year...If the worst comes to the worst and your visa is now invalid,at least you are travelling with your Mrs so they will give you a BB stamp..(one year visa free stay)
    Anyway..Let us know how you get on.

260 peso's fine for missing reports for two years?

That's cheaper than a bribe!

Thanks Fred, been doing some searching myself too, that's 2014 though, I found some that said 200 peso per month, which isn't so bad if I get to keep the residency,

The Mrs has asked her sister in Cagayan to go ask of my situation in the local office where I would normally do the yearly report,

Just wondering if I'm fined, if they might hold me at airport until it's paid, arrested or whatever, lol

Trusted Member
    Just buy a cheap onward ticket to anywhere mate... don't need an actual return ticket.

To somewhere like Hong Kong. Just to cover yourself.

I wouldn't think there will be any problem at the airport, as I can't see that they would check the far end of a fart about your 13A. Ask them for a Balikbayan stamp as well... belt and braces. (Remember to have your marriage cert handy) .

Sort out any late reporting fines and stuff once you're in-country.

Best of luck to you both.

Thanks Graham

Just wondering if I'm fined, if they might hold me at airport until it's paid, arrested or whatever, lol
    Arrested!!!!
    OMG!!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hope everything turns out ok Stewart, good luck

Thanks Michael

Stewart, why not enter on a balikbayan visa, no onward ticket needed for that ... or not that I have had when I have entered this way and no one has ever questioned me. I buy my tickets online though so no one to refuse me.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

It's here that's the 1st biggest hurdle, they won't let me board the flight without return or onward ticket.

Besides, I think you still need a return/onward ticket before you get a balakbayan stamp.

Bought my ticket single journey online too, no problem buying, it's the boarding.

Last time I went back was only with a one way ticket. As you have a filipina wife, I am sure you wont have problems. If the airline know the rules they will not make a problem. Worst case scenario if they refuse is to book the cheapest flight out on your phone so you can show an eticket, but really, boarding with your wife, explaining you are getting a balikbayan visa (one year) is enough. I have entered many times from China to Philippines with no forward ticket.

I bought an onward ticket when I first moved here, dated for two weeks after my arrival in the Philippines to fly from Clark to Borneo, cost £30 quid

What made you choose to return to Pinas, Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Last time I went back was only with a one way ticket. As you have a filipina wife, I am sure you wont have problems. If the airline know the rules they will not make a problem. Worst case scenario if they refuse is to book the cheapest flight out on your phone so you can show an eticket, but really, boarding with your wife, explaining you are getting a balikbayan visa (one year) is enough. I have entered many times from China to Philippines with no forward ticket.
    To be honest, I don't mind paying 50 to 150 euro for an onward ticket just for peace of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    What made you choose to return to Pinas, Stewart?
    2 years of stress, shrinking wallet and being in limbo.

This SS Route isn't what I signed up for at the start 2 years ago. At that time it was simple, C Visa, go to host country for 3 months, then into UK and Bob's your uncle - fast quick and simple enough. From the day we got that C Visa, others waited a year for the same, some longer, some still waiting, UK started not accepting 3 months as enough to prove you made centre of life in host country, and Brexit. UK making new laws, ignoring the fact that they were still under EU law as far as immigration was concerned. It took a year in Ireland to be able to get family permit to UK. By then UK HO playing silly buggers, the biggest percent of those in UK that did SS route being refused residency for silly reasons. Their favourite refusal was for circumventing (using host country as back door into UK). When refused, it means appealing etc; it's costly needing lawyers etc for best chance to win, then waiting and waiting. They also stopped giving the right to work for the non-EU spouse. So 1 year in Ireland, 5 months in UK and up to now is about 2 years. How much longer being in stress and limbo not knowing if, at the end, you will win and end up broke and broken? It's not worth it. It's nice here in Ireland, but still 5 years to get permanent residency here, and it's expensive. I don't need this stress at my age, I'd rather die in Philippines stress-free than die here of stress.

Trusted Member
    I'm sure you'll be fine (and relaxed) in the Phils Stewart... assuming you have some sort of regular income now... pension , or whatever. Doesn't need to be a lot to live happily there.

Do keep us informed of how you're getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    2 years of stress, shrinking wallet and being in limbo.

This SS Route isn't what I signed up for at the start 2 years ago. At that time it was simple, C Visa, go to host country for 3 months, then into UK and Bob's your uncle - fast quick and simple enough. From the day we got that C Visa, others waited a year for the same, some longer, some still waiting, UK started not accepting 3 months as enough to prove you made centre of life in host country, and Brexit. UK making new laws, ignoring the fact that they were still under EU law as far as immigration was concerned. It took a year in Ireland to be able to get family permit to UK. By then UK HO playing silly buggers, the biggest percent of those in UK that did SS route being refused residency for silly reasons. Their favourite refusal was for circumventing (using host country as back door into UK). When refused, it means appealing etc; it's costly needing lawyers etc for best chance to win, then waiting and waiting. They also stopped giving the right to work for the non-EU spouse. So 1 year in Ireland, 5 months in UK and up to now is about 2 years. How much longer being in stress and limbo not knowing if, at the end, you will win and end up broke and broken? It's not worth it. It's nice here in Ireland, but still 5 years to get permanent residency here, and it's expensive. I don't need this stress at my age, I'd rather die in Philippines stress-free than die here of stress.
    s Stewart. Tbh ... ... I'd have expected you and Lolita to've been "home 'n' dry" by now - using the 'Surinder Singh' Route via (in your case) the Irish Republic - and the fact that the Home Office appears to me to be "riding roughshod" over yours (as well as other couples') applications fairly "gets my dander up". Especially while, as you [rightly] say, the SS Route remains open to those in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    To be honest, I don't mind paying 50 to 150 euro for an onward ticket just for peace of mind
    The other option would be to pay the full fare of your 'throw away' ticket. Double check but normally when you pay the full fare this allows a full refund upon cancellation, so works out cheaper in the long run.

Can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you and your family the very best of luck with your next challenge, Stewart. Hope you make it back to Philippines without any further hassle

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    The other option would be to pay the full fare of your 'throw away' ticket. Double check but normally when you pay the full fare this allows a full refund upon cancellation, so works out cheaper in the long run.
    Thanks Simon, I've booked with Cebu Pacific. Their option for refundable ticket is that they hold the money when cancelled, giving 90 days to use on another flight or lose it. I've booked a ticket Manila to Bangkok 58 euro, my printout says Itinerary Receipt. I assume that's equivalent to flight ticket for purpose of showing as the onward ticket. I've also printed out:-

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req showing 11. Who are exempt from the return ticket requirement, which I will try first at Dublin check in just to test KLM out. The onward ticket will be my wild card, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    Can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you and your family the very best of luck with your next challenge, Stewart. Hope you make it back to Philippines without any further hassle
    Thanks Rosie

It's been one hell of a day today, got up this morning, Lolita got a message her Mamma just died.

One very upset emotional filipina, didn't know how to handle it at all. At last her fire has cooled down
    and she's stopped blaming me, for her not being there. We didn't expect this yet, as it is her papa who is dying, both parents are just a few days out of hospital when it happened, think she had a heart attack

Trusted Member
    Condolences and best wishes Stewart and Lolita.

My condolences also to you your wife and family.

It is not easy when you are far away and you know you cant do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Condolences and best wishes Stewart and Lolita.
    Thanks Doc Alan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information