Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    My condolences also to you your wife and family.

It is not easy when you are far away and you know you cant do anything.
    Frustrating, Thanks Steve

... never seems to rain but it pours! Please offer Lolita my sincere condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... never seems to rain but it pours! Please offer Lolita my sincere condolences.
    Thanks Arthur, i will

Trusted Member
    So sorry to hear of this Stewart. My condolences to you and Lolita.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    So sorry to hear of this Stewart. My condolences to you and Lolita.
    Thanks graham

Can't really add to anything that hasn't already been said, but please accept my sincere condolences too.
    I'm on a flight this afternoon if there's anything I do to help.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Condolences for your family loss Stewart and Lolita, lets hope things all fit into place and brighten up in 2018 for you. Please update us as time progresses, God bless you.

Respected Member
    Sorry for your loss, I've just been back to the Ph for the weekend myself as Rose's Dad passed away suddenly too (quick trip for me, she went for a week).

As for the SS route not being accepted any more. Pretty frustrating I am sure. All I can suggest is finding another country you both want to live in and go there such as Spain.

Likewise, Rose ... to learn of the sudden loss of your father. Please also accept my sincere condolences.

Firstly, sorry to read about all the stress and hassle you have had over the past few years, it all seems to be for nowt.

I've just returned from a couple of months in Phils, in LA Roxas 1 hour from Maramag. Reading your comments about NPA activity, I think I saw a scrawled sign at the roadside between CDO and Malabalay but that's about all. Yes, there are three roadside checkpoints between Maramag & CDO, one on the outskirts of Valencia, Maramag side, another between Valencia & Malabalay, and the other is in between Grasano Mall Puerto in CDO, and before you get to the newly opened Coastal road actually in CDO.

Dumaguete seems a nice place to live. Bohol is also a good choice, but remember there was Terrorist activity in Clarin only a few months ago. Personally, I would still choose Bukidnon, but hey it's up to you, you pays your money and makes your choice. Good luck whatever you decide, me it looks like it's going to be Bukidnon. Where? Not quite sure yet.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Firstly, sorry to read about all the stress and hassle you have had over the past few years, it all seems to be for nowt.

I've just returned from a couple of months in Phils, in LA Roxas 1 hour from Maramag. Reading your comments about NPA activity, I think I saw a scrawled sign at the roadside between CDO and Malabalay but that's about all. Yes, there are three roadside checkpoints between Maramag & CDO, one on the outskirts of Valencia, Maramag side, another between Valencia & Malabalay, and the other is in between Grasano Mall Puerto in CDO, and before you get to the newly opened Coastal road actually in CDO.

Dumaguete seems a nice place to live. Bohol is also a good choice, but remember there was Terrorist activity in Clarin only a few months ago. Personally, I would still choose Bukidnon, but hey it's up to you, you pays your money and makes your choice. Good luck whatever you decide, me it looks like it's going to be Bukidnon. Where? Not quite sure yet.
    Thanks Harry, it might not be so bad as I thought it was getting there. We will be going straight to Malaybalay, decide from there what we will do. Lita's mum buried just the other day, but she will be glad to see her dad and family.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Thanks Harry, it might not be so bad as I thought it was getting there. We will be going straight to Malaybalay, decide from there what we will do. Lita's mum buried just the other day, but she will be glad to see her dad and family.
    Thanks for the rep Stewart. It's always best to see for yourself if possible. We were only in Malabalay last Monday as it was Fiesta time down on Graema sub division. Jan's brother lives there with his wife and two kids. Mindanao has a reputation far worse than it deserves, even other Filipinos from other regions do lots of scaremongering. Possibly that's to the advantage of other areas of the Philippines, because if they don't go to Mindanao they will spend there money elsewhere. In my opinion, the biggest drawback for Mindanao is not having a central airport, but there is one on the drawing board for Maramag, Don Carlos but which century I have no idea.

Thanks for the rep Stewart. It's always best to see for yourself if possible. We were only in Malabalay last Monday as it was Fiesta time down on Graema sub division. Jan's brother lives there with his wife and two kids. Mindanao has a reputation far worse than it deserves, even other Filipinos from other regions do lots of scaremongering. Possibly that's to the advantage of other areas of the Philippines, because if they don't go to Mindanao they will spend there money elsewhere. In my opinion, the biggest drawback for Mindanao is not having a central airport, but there is one on the drawing board for Maramag, Don Carlos but which century I have no idea .

My sister in law lives in Graema sub division

My sister in law lives in Graema sub division
    Small world Stewart, I'm actually getting Jan's sister in law to find out about a property on there, which if its the right price I could be interested in buying either to rent out or live in. There was another property which we were told was for sale, but at 800k Php is, I would have thought, expensive for Graema. For that kind of money, I would rather we build our own.

Small world Stewart, I'm actually getting Jan's sister in law to find out about a property on there, which if its the right price I could be interested in buying either to rent out or live in. There was another property which we were told was for sale, but at 800k Php is, I would have thought, expensive for Graema. For that kind of money, I would rather we build our own.
    Building your own is fun, if you're employing it's 200 per day labourers, 250 skilled men, foremen 300

Trusted Member
    We're building our own...one room at a time, on our acre of land just outside of town.

So far we have one bedroom, nice CR/shower with proper flush toilet, plus now, a kitchen, with tiled concrete worktops, and next the 'sala' (to replace the current timber one). I will take care of that next month, when I'm back there. Works out at about p50,000 per room... built from hollow blocks, internally 'plastered'.

All with concrete floors at least 2 feet above max flood level.

Bukidnon is a lovely place, we had a trip there with friends. We are in Tagum and when you drive over the mountains and look down to the ocean the view is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    We're building our own...one room at a time, on our acre of land just outside of town.

So far we have one bedroom, nice CR/shower with proper flush toilet, plus now, a kitchen, with tiled concrete worktops, and next the 'sala' (to replace the current timber one). I will take care of that next month, when I'm back there. Works out at about p50,000 per room... built from hollow blocks, internally 'plastered'.

All with concrete floors at least 2 feet above max flood level.
    Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Bukidnon is a lovely place, we had a trip there with friends. We are in Tagum and when you drive over the mountains and look down to the ocean the view is fantastic.
    Yes, it is nice

Oh blimey, not more problems for you both! My condolences to you, your wife and family out there. Good luck with your trip back.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Oh blimey, not more problems for you both! My condolences to you, your wife and family out there. Good luck with your trip back.
    Thanks Lordna

Sorry to read about your misfortune Stewart and my condolences to you and your wife. I hope the new year brings a change in fortune for the pair of you. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Sorry to read about your misfortune Stewart and my condolences to you and your wife. I hope the new year brings a change in fortune for the pair of you. Take care.
    Thanks well it will be xmas for us in Philippines this year, looking forward to the celebrations

Arrived in Manila Thursday 14th yesterday, had no problems at all boarding both from Dublin and Schipol to Manila. Handed my passport with residency card together, not a question asked, so was a waste buying the onward ticket, but there again, it gave me peace of mind. It's Friday evening now, didn't go to the Manila immigration, flying to Cagayan on Sunday and then on to Malaybalay getting picked up by family so a comfy ride to Malaybalay. Mrs can't wait to see her papa and family. Then Monday, we will get bus back to Cagayan to see immigration. We will probably stay in Malaybaly a few months at least.

Since arriving in Manila we are staying at a friends in Taguig, looking at property going as a 2 year sanlarenta. Thinking to invest as you get the full money back after 2 years, so it's like not paying any rent. There is a place has 3 apartments for sanlarenta, could live in one and rent the other 2 out. This way, we also earn money on rent as well as not paying rent on the one we stay in. Seems a good idea, and it's all done through an attorney, so thinking hard on this one.

Nice to know some things are going your way at last, keep in touch. I will probably be round Malabalay, Maramag about the end of February early March, would be nice to have a chin wag with you. Enjoy Malabalay .

Nice to know some things are going your way at last, keep in touch. I will probably be round Malabalay, Maramag about the end of February early March, would be nice to have a chin wag with you. Enjoy Malabalay .

Trusted Member
    Best of luck Stewart.

I have to wait another 3 weeks.

Think again... and again... and again, before 'investing' much money in the Phils mate....attorney or not.

Arrived in Manila Thursday 14th yesterday, had no problems at all boarding both from Dublin and Schipol to Manila. Handed my passport with residency card together, not a question asked, so was a waste buying the onward ticket, but there again, it gave me peace of mind. It's Friday evening now, didn't go to the Manila immigration, flying to Cagayan on Sunday and then on to Malaybalay getting picked up by family so a comfy ride to Malaybalay. Mrs can't wait to see her papa and family. Then Monday, we will get bus back to Cagayan to see immigration. We will probably stay in Malaybaly a few months at least.

Since arriving in Manila we are staying at a friends in Taguig, looking at property going as a 2 year sanlarenta. Thinking to invest as you get the full money back after 2 years, so it's like not paying any rent. There is a place has 3 apartments for sanlarenta, could live in one and rent the other 2 out. This way, we also earn money on rent as well as not paying rent on the one we stay in. Seems a good idea, and it's all done through an attorney, so thinking hard on this one.
    Don't do investments in the Philippines mate, stick with property with clean title.

It's a normal way to rent a property. Example: 150 thou peso (approx £2,230) and the place is yours for 2 years, the 150 though, is returned at the end of 2 years. During that 2 years, I rent the property to a tenant at a rent paid to me of 3,500 per month, 24 months = 84,000 income, + the 150,000 returned.

Property Titles don't come into the deal, as not buying the property

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information