Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Sober For October

Mindful of the fast~approaching festive season, I came across this interesting article in a recent edition of the Huffington Post ... listing 4 distinct benefits to be derived from limiting our alcohol intake in the weeks ahead:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/laur..._18026144.html ...

Sensible advice!

Trusted Member
    I no longer drink alcohol or smoke !

Walang problema !

I have never drank nor smoked, no problem for me either.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member

I'd never be able to go to the Phils as often if I did.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I don't smoke or drink either

I don't smoke but enjoy a few toots....

I have had 3 guys working for me the last couple of weeks, in their 30's and 40's, they are working down here in the south but are from the north. I put them in a hotel, the first week they were kicked out and I had to get them another hotel at extra expense, it's like they are 18 year old kids their first time away from home without their parents the amount of booze they consume is ridiculous, the hotel fines guests £130? for smoking in the room so I begged them not to smoke but they were thrown out of the hotel as the smell of cannabis could be detected in the corridor, whether it was them or not I don't know but they got the blame due to their evening antics with alcohol

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I no longer drink alcohol or smoke !

Walang problema !
    Same here, quit smoking around 15 years ago. Gave up drinking to excess around about he same time. Last time I was over the limit so to speak was on holiday in Seychelles around 6 years ago... Don't recall touching a drop of alcohol since. I haven't given it up though. I'd just rather have a coke or something if out.

Trusted Member
    The campaign " Go Sober for October " was launched in 2013. As alcohol is a risk factor for several cancers, it raises funds for Macmillan Cancer Support, in addition to attempting to reduce long-term alcohol consumption. A similar campaign ( " Dry January " ), which started 2 years ago, is promoted by the charity " Alcohol Concern in England and Wales ".

The benefits listed in the Huffington Post article ( better sleep, better skin, more money, and weight loss ) might help people, including Forum members, to at least reflect on their alcohol drinking, thanks to Arthur .

One problem with this type of campaign is that participants select themselves - it could attract those at the lowest risk from health problems related to alcohol. Those not drinking to excess, or only to a mild or moderate degree, are at LEAST risk of either starting, or increasing intake to an unhealthy level.

There is a rise in alcohol consumption - not only in the UK, but also other countries such as the USA and Philippines. The price of alcohol has decreased over the past 40 years, suggesting that a minimum unit price might help. Other suggestions include a " duty escalator " 2% above inflation for alcohol, limited availability ( off-licence, and on-licence, including airports and flights ), and restricted advertising. ALL such attempts may be / already are met with resistance.

The annual financial cost to the NHS of managing alcohol-related health issues has been estimated at £3.5bn - £120 for each taxpayer. Most serious liver disease - among other ill-effects - is due to alcohol. Such data is not available, to my knowledge, for the Philippines. Filipinos may not even consider alcoholism a medical problem.

For many people, " social drinking " is acceptable and desirable. A few SM beers " oils the social wheels " ... and San Miguel Corporation is highly profitable. The Scarborough Forum members’ get-together a few years ago was at my " local " bar. All who attended know each other better for having met " in real ".

The challenge is to target those most at risk, while recognising individual choice. The consequences for partners, children, and associates can be serious - and ill-afforded by any country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I have never drank nor smoked, no problem for me either.
    But you wear pink shirts. That's unhealthiness right there.

Thread Information