As you will know I'm heading over to Mactan airport soon,.. so I'm busy trying to work out where we will go and what we can all expect this visit. I think of years gone by and sometimes laugh at the silly things I've done for a laugh or the riskier times when I had no kids to worry about and jumped off boats,.. sailed across from one island to another in a small canoe with a one cylinder "cement mixer engine",...drove way up into mountains with the bike,...drank copious amounts of alcohol with the locals etc. etc....
But the niggly little things start as soon as you get there.
I suppose it all starts at the airport exit gateway,...I'm talking about the wee lads wanting to help you find a taxi !!...I always fall for them guys,..not by getting their taxi but by feeling obliged to give them a tip.
Unless your brilliant at saying no then these wee guys will have the out-stretched tip-hand for almost anything (yes I know its their only income but it certainly out-weighs my own hourly rate !
I thought I had them sussed on my previous trips, thinking, well I wont fall for that one next time,... but its always something different.
A few years ago we were getting picked up by our relative in their big 4X4, nice white one, easy to pick out ,... this wee guy comes up asking if I wanted a taxi, I say no,... so he stands next to me asking is there someone picking you up?. What kind of car sir ?,..what colour ?. Well I'm over 6ft tall and I could manage to see a hellova lot further up the ranks than this wee fella. I see the jeep coming down the hill, nudge my wife and start walking towards them, waving my arms in the air to get seen. Next thing I know this wee guy has followed us along the road,.. tugs at my arm,..points to the jeep and says here's your jeep sir,..I was looking out for it for you !! Then the hand comes out,..my wife says ,...ohh just give him his tip,..I say,..what's he done like ?? hehe,... gave him some small change just for his brass neck..
Another time we got picked up I refused to make eye contact with these guys and I spoke very little to them. I just stood at the kerb waiting again for our lift. We see the jeep coming so we scurried across into the middle section of the road with our trolley to off load the luggage into the boot. I turn round to take the trolley back to the stack just at the kerb when this guy asks me,...are you finished with the trolley sir??....well I though he was needing it for someone's luggage so I just pushed it towards him and says yup you can have it, and I turned and started opening the car door. Couldn't believe it,....he's tugging on my arm looking for a tip,...I ask my wife what he's after?..she tells me ohh he wants paid for returning the trolley !!! "" 5 YARDS AWAY "" ??!!!
I just couldn't stop laughing getting into the car while tossing a few coins into his hand....hehe,... its like the old game of playing British bulldog to get to your car without getting caught !!

Happy memories hehe,....wonder if I'll get past them this time having the kids with me ?

Jonny