Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

"Journos" and football fans

I've just watched "Green Street Hooligans" on t.v., which I thought was a good movie. The plot is that a young American goes to visit his sister in London, and gets involved with a West Ham "firm". I thought that the film showed both sides of the story pretty accurately, showing the cameraderie and excitement, without shying away from the bad side of football violence. One thing interested me; the extent to which the West Ham guys detested journalists (Matt, the American does ok until he is suspected of being a "f***ing journo" because the guys find his diary on his laptop. My knowledge of football supporters is somewhat dated; the last time I watched City regularly they still played at Maine Rd, and the only profession that they showed a clear dislike of was police officers. Apart from problems stemming from single issues like Hillsborough, I don't quite get it. It seems to be more of a phenomenon among better off professional guy/ hooligans in the London area than in the north. I would be grateful if someone from London or the surrounding area who is a regular supporter could explain the dislike of "journos" to me.

I know a few football ex-hooligans,couple of them did time for it,one owns a bar in the Philippines and wrote a book on his hooligan days

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Oh yeah,just a tip,Green street is pretty crap and doesn't really give an accurate portrayal of firms,and the reason guys don't like journalists is things like donal McIntyre going undercover into firms and getting jail for people like Jason mariner,but green st is totally OTT don't read too much into it

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I agree that the fight with Millwall at the end is a bit OTT, but the other fights seem more believable. One problem I have with the film is that throughout all of their activities, none of the Green Street Elite hear so much as an angry word from a police officer, let alone get thrown into a police van and/or cell. Even in my limited experience I've been told in no uncertain terms to "MOVE BACK NOW!" by a match day cop. In your opinion, is that the main thing wrong with the film, Tawi2?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaw2008 View Post
    In your opinion, is that the main thing wrong with the film, Tawi2?
    Any movie that casts Elijah wood as someone who can have it isn't all that

The story was written and directed by a German woman.

Saw the film when it first came out. Can't even remember if it was any good.

If any of you are interested in football violence and hooligans,and you travel a bit,pop into the dogs .......s on soi 13 in pattaya,the original owner died a few years ago but he was a quite prominent chap,his mate owns a bar in the PI and was also involved,strange people end up in strange places,even know a few national front members of old who now live in the PI

Talking of Thailand, did you hear about that guy last week who was getting a blow job in the back of a car when it crashed. Last blow job he'll ever have.

Both a good way to go and a bad way to go I guess.

Thread Information