Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Had Its Day!

Had Its Day!

Sadly, :bigcry: ... my trusty old desktop computer appears to've "hit the skids" since a week past Sunday.

:yeahthat:'s after fully 9 years of faithful service! Yes, I bought it during the summer of 2008 - while I was still corresponding with Myrna - before I'd even heard of this site, would you believe!?! So it doesn't really owe me anything. :NoNo:

Hence the reason I've been rather conspicuous by my absence lately. Although, I have been able to pop in occasionally, courtesy of Myrna's laptop - for which I'm grateful.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 12th July 2017 at 20:42. Reason: Smilies not working, despite my efforts.

So are you going to buy another desk top or going for the tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    So are you going to buy another desk top or going for the tablet?

Tbh ... ... I'm not altogether sure, having become accustomed to a desktop ever since teaching myself (more by trial and error) how to use a computer at all, and using a laptop's a bit like a driver getting used to the "feel" of a different make of car, I guess. Won't be a tablet, though. But there again, price is a BIG consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Tbh ... ... I'm not altogether sure, having become accustomed to a desktop ever since teaching myself (more by trial and error) how to use a computer at all, and using a laptop's a bit like a driver getting used to the "feel" of a different make of car, I guess. Won't be a tablet, though. But there again, price is a BIG consideration.
    Plus if you get a tablet or laptop you can move around the house and even in the garden too.

You'd be better off sticking to a desktop, Arthur, I think. At least you'll have a larger screen. When I changed from my laptop I bought a desktop with a large screen. Covers about 80% of the width of my desk.

Had 3 desktops and 1 laptop in 20 years. I still have the laptop which I bought around 2005 but it's all clogged up and runs slow and I haven't used it much since I bought this one in 2014.

9 years is pretty good going Arthur. Good luck with your next choice

Trusted Member
    2008 ?

Blimey, that's pretty new Arthur... compared with my 2002 model (in use now), which I bought for 10 quid to replace my 2003 one.

What's up with it mate ?

It might have plenty of life left in it, with a bit of fettling.

I have just fixed a laptop that my son's g/f had been using as a doorstop for 2 years ... and I'm no expert.

My laptop is in the bedroom, it's connected to my old desktop hd monitor. That way I can browse on the laptop screen, but watch movies, TV shows or sport on the other screen at the same time. I don't move it from the bedroom as it needs charging all the time. So I use my tablet as my main source of browsing the net at home. Medium usage of it the battery normally lasts me 48 hours before I charge it.
    Then off course the mobile phone for when I'm out and about.

Finally I decided to invest in another desktop ... a Dell 'Vostro 3900, Windows 7 Professional'. It cost "only" £329.97 from TESCO online for the package and all's well, ... except for the fact that, when logging into my facebook account, I'm unable to locate my Friends List on it.

... anyone?

Home page underneath your name Arthur

Timeline About Friends Photos More.

Thread Information