Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

96% less nurses applying to come here

Sounds a lot doesn't it? 96% less nurses applying to come here from last year and its all down to Brexit.
    When waiting for Emma to finish work I am sure I see Nurses walking out of work and they seem to be from all over the world and I am sure that if you are from another country and that country is wanting people in your line of work well you are welcome.
    Could it be the wages are better somewhere else? Canada is calling for nurses so they are off there, there could be many many reasons why people don't want to move here now, but there is nothing better then bad news to sell papers and to get people's backs up.
    Good news no one is interested in, and the good news today is, I'm still here.

Respected Member
    We definitely need more nurse training in the UK, but I'm sure this particular drop off is short-term while EU citizen's rights get established, which they should. A simple work permit and that sexy Slovakian nurse can come over after all... it will still probably be easier than bringing in people from The Philippines.

2 of my son's cousins are nurses, they are in Canada, another is waiting for his papers to process. I know a lot of healthcare professionals in the Ottawa area, all from pinas, but they all complain about the winters, and the cost of flights back to pinas, the grass is always greener, eh?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Emma has a niece who is working in Abu dhabi as a physical therapist and has been there for a few months, but her dream is to go to Canada and work there, hopefully she will make it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Emma has a niece who is working in Abu dhabi as a physical therapist and has been there for a few months, but her dream is to go to Canada and work there, hopefully she will make it.
    If she has a Masters it's easier than just being a bog standard physical therapist, but still a pinoy degree isn't accepted, she has to study once there to attain canuck accreditation.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Sounds a lot doesn't it? 96% less nurses applying to come here from last year and its all down to Brexit.
    When waiting for Emma to finish work I am sure I see Nurses walking out of work and they seem to be from all over the world and I am sure that if you are from another country and that country is wanting people in your line of work well you are welcome.
    Could it be the wages are better somewhere else? Canada is calling for nurses so they are off there, there could be many many reasons why people don't want to move here now, but there is nothing better than bad news to sell papers and to get people's backs up.
    Good news no one is interested in, and the good news today is, I'm still here.
    Take a look at the immigration rules Steve, I think you will find it's down to the fact that they need to earn a certain amount of money before they can be granted a Visa, that's why these newspapers & Politicians always say we welcome people from outside the UK who will benefit our economy, such as Doctors, Scientists etc etc, but its not only these people that we are short of, look at the people who wipe bums in Care homes, where will they come from? They certainly won't earn the salary requirement to get a visa.

The trouble is Harry, and it does affect the folk on here.
    We know the cost to bring our partners here and the ongoing cost of the visas and now the insurance we have to pay for 5 years and it is in the tens of thousands all told.
    Then look at Europe if you are living there well just walk in.
    My partner works in the NHS and I am sure there are a few more from here, yet it's not enough as they are saying we are 30,000 nurses or so short.
    Yes I don't know everything about what you may need to get here from Europe and what visa is needed, but this has been going on for tens of years so its not just a single party's fault, home grown people should have gone into the work not employing cheap labour from abroad for the past years.
    They say there are so many thousand out of work, well there are your bum wipers.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 14th June 2017 at 11:33. Reason: Not edited - problems are at MY end.

Respected Member
    So it seems that a lot of the drop may be attributed to a new English language test they have introduced.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    So it seems that a lot of the drop may be attributed to a new English language test they have introduced.
    That was my understanding too.

I certainly have no objection for it to be a requirement that anyone working in life and death situations needs to be able to communicate well in the host country's language... and certainly more important than a Filipino spouse being able to.

We need to train more homegrown staff.

The trouble is Harry, and it does affect the folk on here.
    We know the cost to bring our partners here and the ongoing cost of the visas and now the insurance we have to pay for 5 years and it is in the tens of thousands all told.
    Then look at Europe if you are living there well just walk in .
    My partner works in the NHS and i am sure there are a few more from here, es its not enough as they are saying we are 30,000 nurses or so short.
    Yes I don't know everything about what you may need to get here from Europe and what visa is needed, but this has been going on for tens of years so it's not just a single party'sfault, home grown people should have gone into the work not employing cheap labour from abroad for the past years.
    They say there are so many thousand out of work, well there are your bum wipers .
    Yes I agree they are the bum wipers, but you and I know they either can't/won't do it for whatever reason, some of them wont be able to pass the enhanced Disclosure Barring Service checks that are a requirement for these roles, but for whatever reason there is a desperate shortage of Staff building up in the NHS, and in the aftercare/care service sector, sooner or later it will have to be addressed.

Here you are Steve a sentence taken from the Government website."You’ll usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job you’re offered - whichever is higher", so thats the first objective to get a Tier 2 visa, then there is the TB requirement, then the need to have a sponsor, then the English language test, the list just goes on and on, and on.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

Those requirements are enough to put anyone off applying for a General Tier 2 Visa, but how many Nurses jobs pay £30,000? thats the Whichever is Higher requirement to get a Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Yes I agree they are the bum wipers, but you and I know they either can't/won't do it for whatever reason, some of them wont be able to pass the enhanced Disclosure Barring Service checks that are a requirement for these roles, but for whatever reason there is a desperate shortage of Staff building up in the NHS, and in the aftercare/care service sector, sooner or later it will have to be addressed.

Here you are Steve a sentence taken from the Government website."You’ll usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job you’re offered - whichever is higher", so that's the first objective to get a Tier 2 visa, then there is the TB requirement, then the need to have a sponsor, then the English language test, the list just goes on and on, and on.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility

Those requirements are enough to put anyone off applying for a General Tier 2 Visa, but how many Nurses jobs pay £30,000? That's the Whichever is Higher requirement to get a Visa.
    How many jobs pay £30,000?

My young niece just got a job in Japan as a laundry assistant...Free food,free accommodation, 60,000 Pesos a month.. Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    My young niece just got a job in Japan as a laundry assistant...Free food,free accommodation, 60,000 Pesos a month.. Happy days!
    I would keep that quiet or else the migrants from Europe will be making their way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    I actually applaud the stringent language tests, especially during a week when it's been on the news that one nurse virtually needed sign language her grasp of English was so poor, it's ridiculous. Anyone remember the African doctor several years ago who caused a patients death due to his inability to speak English?

Thread Information