Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

I never go in the spare room.

But as I've been decorating my Daughter's bedroom I stored a lot of her stuff in there.
    However when I was putting stuff back in my Daughter's room I noticed the laminate floor around the radiator looked a bit funny. On closer inspection it was very brittle.

Anyway seems the radiator valve is leaking. I had noticed the boiler losing pressure slightly the last few months.... Keep meaning to get it checked.

So after asking around a few local groups for a recommended plumber, I have one coming this morning. I know it's a bank holiday, but he said that's fine. He won't charge me extra! Just as well because the towel I wrapped around the pipe yesterday afternoon is soaked! Hopefully he will fix it today and not just look, shake his head and make excuses and tell me I need parts I don't.

My grandfather is a retired plumber, however he lives in Ireland. He said it's just the valve that needs replacing. However he will probably need to drain the system to change it unfortunately which may cost more than the valve!

We shall see!

Drain it yourself, a typical system will take about 20 mins to drain

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Drain it yourself, a typical system will take about 20 mins to drain

Rather get somebody in, don't want to flood upstairs and below into the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Rather get somebody in, don't want to flood upstairs and below into the kitchen.
    You won't, you'll find a drain cock typically attached to one of the downstairs rads. That's where you drain it from.

Nothing like a relaxing time on Bank holidays, just put a bigger towel around the valve, or just nip the valve up a turn, that could be the problem.

Trusted Member
    Chewing gum !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Chewing gum !
    ... actually not a bad idea.

Cheaper than London!
    Draining the system and replacing the valve, £40 and as the boiler is due a service I have asked him to do that. That's another £40... unless he finds a problem with it.

To think I used to pay £100 for a boiler service in London!

Trusted Member
    Another reason I'm grateful for my council bungy.

Their problem.

Cheaper than London!
    Draining the system and replacing the valve, £40 and as the boiler is due a service I have asked him to do that. That's another £40... unless he finds a problem with it.

Rad valve is a few quid, and the bloke's come out on a bank holiday for £40, blinking bargain

Cheaper than London!

Cheaper than London!

I lived local'ish to you when you were down here, my boiler stopped heating water once. Small wonder the plumber was telling me he liked to spend his winters in Australia, he charged me £380 to drain the boiler and put a new heating element in. Is it really grim Oop north?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter than downstairs. So he went round, bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

And still only took £80 from me that he asked from the outset.

I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter then downstairs. So he went round bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

Does he travel to Derby?

Trusted Member
    I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter than downstairs. So he went round, bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

What a nice Bank Holiday surprise.

Thread Information