Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

A walk around the lake

A nice walk around the lake today with my grandson, some bread and a camera and we are both happy, ok later it cost me an ice cream, but we both came back with a smile on our faces.

We saw a reed warbler and goslings.

Here is one taken as HDR .

Nice,love nature,i walked through a field a few days ago,felt really good to be breathing fresh air and listening to bird song,always good to teach children about that sort of thing

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Yes it is. but most of the time i am saying if you are quite you will see more, but hey hes a kid

Walk softly you're right, the field I walked through I found a mallard's nest, saw a fox I didn't have time to photograph, and spotted a muntjac fawn due to its ear twitching. I used to hunt for food as a kid so still have sharp'ish eyes for close distance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Walk softly you're right, the field I walked through I found a mallard's nest, saw a fox I didn't have time to photograph, and spotted a muntjac fawn due to its ear twitching. I used to hunt for food as a kid so still have sharp'ish eyes for close distance
    Great picture, as a kid we use to follow the skylarks and wait for them to land then they would walk/run to their nest, but we knew that and would just cover a larger area.
    We used to wait for foxes and badgers to come out from their dens and just watch them, it was amazing how close you could get to wild animals by keeping quiet.
    You seem to have a sense when as a kid of where to go and what to look for, maybe as an adult they seem to be pushed back further until you start to look again.

Us old country boys don't lose our touch. I was always very observant in jungles and suchlike places, creeping slowly through them is just the same as walking through woods as a kid birdnesting
    Attached Images Attached Images

My dad taught us loads when we were kids, every Sunday morning up at the crack of dawn and we would be off for hours, he would never let us pick up anything or take anything too, but he would show us birds nests with eggs in and chicks, then on the way back we would get the mushrooms for breakfast.
    One of the best nests I can remember was a robin's nest, it was built right near the ground in a old tree trunk but there were these small blue eggs.

Many happy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    My dad taught us loads when we were kids, every Sunday morning up at the crack of dawn and we would be off for hours, he would never let us pick up anything or take anything too, but he would show us birds nests with eggs in and chicks, then on the way back we would get the mushrooms for breakfast.
    One of the best nests I can remember was a robin's nest, it was built right near the ground in an old tree trunk but there were these small blue eggs.

Many happy memories.
    I think you walked in the same shoes as me Steve, except my own father had no interest in the countryside and couldn't differentiate twixt a sparrowhawk and an emu but I always had my folding poachers, 410 inside my jacket from the age of 13 and a pocket of finger thin red cartridges Happy days that stood us in good stead in later life

Yes you are right it has helped us along the way, here is a nice picture of a blue tit's nest. I was watching this for a good few days, it was in an old pipe sticking out of the wall.

The thing is, now there are so many things that take my interest with taking pictures, from small to large, and I could spend all day waiting and watching and best of all, it costs no money at all.

That bluetit shot is fantastic,just a suggestion but have you ever thought of buying one of those cheap nestboxes with the built in camera so when the nestbox is in use you can see the interior on your PC screen?

Where we live there are so many cats, but over the years no matter what I try to put out for the birds they seem to avoid my garden.
    I have tried fat balls, coconut, seeds, bread and so on, even jam for the bees, but they must have had a bad experience in my garden.

Here is a sparrow just leaving its nest in search of food, this is at the bottom of the garden looking at the neighbour's house.

Sparrow is a great shot, nesting, I know where there's a block of flats in west London got Himalayan ring-necked parakeets nesting in the eaves

We used to keep ring-necks in Qatar, there are many now flying around wild as in the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    We used to keep ring-necks in Qatar, there are many now flying around wild as in the UK...
    There's thousands round here mate, we call them green pigeons, they add a touch of colour, they were released locally during the filming of Bogart's African Queen at Shepperton and found the climate to their liking, massive numbers

Nothing as exotic around here in Derby, other then a few turtle doves cooing most mornings.
    But I must admit you can't beat a blackbird singing no matter where you are.

Nothing as exotic around here in Derby, other then a few turtle doves cooing most mornings.
    ... who are they, Steve? You and Emma?

There's thousands round here mate, we call them green pigeons, they add a touch of colour, they were released locally during the filming of Bogart's African Queen at Shepperton and found the climate to their liking, massive numbers
    Apparently the local farmers don't like them as they fly down into Kent and eat all their crops...

I think you walked in the same shoes as me Steve, except my own father had no interest in the countryside and couldn't differentiate twixt a sparrowhawk and an emu but I always had my folding poachers, 410 inside my jacket from the age of 13 and a pocket of finger thin red cartridges Happy days that stood us in good stead in later life
    We were not allowed any thing like guns but we had a few good home made dobbers, my brother had a metal one that cost a couple of quid but was not as good as ours,
    Then when my dad thought I was old enough I got a gnat gun, well I could have spit much further then the pellets went, then I got a 177 gun I think it was, so light weight and was so good.

I have almost run over pheasants on a couple of occasions as I've driven through a place called Griffydam which is on my way to work in the morning. They just run out in front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    I have almost run over pheasants on a couple of occasions as I've driven through a place called Griffydam which is on my way to work in the morning. They just run out in front of the car.
    Griffydam, that's a name from the past.
    The best night club around for miles used to be there.
    Every Friday and Saturday night was disco night and maybe if you were lucky a little bit of loving too.

Griffydam, that's a name from the past.
    The best night club around for miles used to be there.
    Every Friday and Saturday night was disco night and maybe if you were lucky a little bit of loving too.
    I must just touch the outskirts, because all I see is fields....

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    I must just touch the outskirts, because all I see is fields....
    Remember, this is back 40 years ago. I bet the pub is not there anymore.

Thread Information