Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Living your dream

Reading another thread got me thinking about "living the dream". and could it still happen.
    So anyone would like to comment rather then just read this would be helpful.
    My dream is to have enough money to make living over in the Philippines doable so how much is my dream going to cost me.
    Forget the rent and the big house and the even bigger tv and the big car and the big holidays and the even bigger look at me sort of thing.
    I want to just blend in and just enjoy life doing what i am thinking i am wanting, yes a trip here and there could be arranged from our savings.
    Maybe a car at a later date too, but these maybe will happen at a later date.
    With not having any children to feed and send to collage and to look after all there life i know my budget will be a lot less then others.
    So what is the budget then for this simple life.
    Food, water, electric, gaz bottle, jeepneys, rates, the everyday items that is needed, have i missed any.
    If i have not missed any well then here is the next budget.
    Holidays, birthdays, wedding days, trips back to England, running and buying a car,maintaining the house this will be from another budget.

Anyone who is living there dream or nightmare over ni the Philippines on there own budget could and would you like to comment on your daily living expensive s and whether it could be achieved.
    Please if you spare the time to write on here dont go back 20-30 years ago when you was there and you was living on a farthing a week.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    go back 20-30 years ago when you was there and you was living on a farthing a week.
    Ahhhhhh,those were the days and 50 centavos change jingling in my pocket

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Ahhhhhh,those were the days and 50 centavos change jingling in my pocket
    One day i have loose change jingling away in my pocket too , then the next morning its gone , i wonder where.

Costs of living the dream?Once my kid has graduated I am off,leaving a dust trail in my wake,i can do most of the things I want to do for maybe £2 grand a month,extra trips such as easter island and the Galapagos unless I can do them before he graduates will cost extra but that's how the cards fall

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

2 GRAND A MONTH.
    But you can do a lot for that, if you have it spend it , as long as there is some left for the next trip.
    One of the biggest worries is not having enough , even knowing you have enough its convincing the other half, funny that when they seem to have come from having very little themselves.
    Is that where the problem lies never wanting to go back to having very little each week.

Is that where the problem lies never wanting to go back to having very little each week.
    I was brought up in the slummiest part of sunderland,it was actually named scumderland by outsiders its always better to have money than not,it doesn't buy happiness but it opens the door to opportunity,I can live on next to nowt if I had to,i did it before I can do it again

I was brought up in the slummiest part of sunderland,it was actually named scumderland by outsiders its always better to have money than not,it doesn't buy happiness but it opens the door to opportunity,I can live on next to nowt if I had to,i did it before I can do it again
    Indeed many i think was brought up just like this and as we was all the same we did not know any difference either.
    Its only when you see how some others think they have to live " got to keep up with the Jones ". you think i would like some of that.
    But its hard work to get there for a few.
    I never had this much money in my whole life, its crazy really, i drive past so many car garages and think i could have any of those and its like the camera and new lenses, but do i really want these things .
    A simple easy life is what i am wanting, but again this may cost more then i am thinking.

On my last trip Steve, i found it can vary very much, depending on where you live Steve, Manila area doesnt seem any cheaper than the UK, but again maybe i didnt know where to shop . Now down in Bukidnon 10.000 php can go very much further.

Agreed Harry, we could live down in Albay for a fraction of what it cost us in Manila...

I can live very cheaply in pinas,i don't have rent to pay,live on a nice beach resort a stonesthrow outside Davao or a fairly new house 2 hours west,but its not living the dream,we all dream different,i have met a couple of guys who moved there to live their own personal dream,burnt their bridges here,moved there and painted themselves into a corner,theres got to be a reason to move,not just the weather,you have to keep active,following your passions and dreams,there has to be something that keeps the old grey matter perpetually busy

I can live very cheaply in pinas,i don't have rent to pay,live on a nice beach resort a stonesthrow outside Davao or a fairly new house 2 hours west,but its not living the dream,we all dream different,i have met a couple of guys who moved there to live their own personal dream,burnt their bridges here,moved there and painted themselves into a corner,theres got to be a reason to move,not just the weather,you have to keep active,following your passions and dreams,there has to be something that keeps the old grey matter perpetually busy
    Agree with that 100%.

Yes, I would also never completely close all doors to Blighty, we will always retain a property here just in case...

Trusted Member

Spot on.

(Wasn't Pennywell where you lived, was it ? )

I used to regularly work all over Sunderland... and the rest of the North East, when I was flogging home insulation and windows, etc.

I went to school in pennywell graham,i know pennywell was a bit grim but it was like comparing forbes park with tondo to the part i was from,hendon garths scary flats down near the docks

Trusted Member
    Now, clearly I'm not as rich as you folk, so it will be a case of living a pretty simple life out there for me and my family.

I will try to do a few months here and a few months there for as long as possible, as I don't think it would be sensible to give up my (rocking horse doo doo) OAP bungalow until I absolutely have to... and who knows what will happen with the immigration rules in the future, so best to keep my/our options open.

We've already got our little starter home and land out there, so hopefully we can build a pleasant life around that, and my UK pension.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Now, clearly I'm not as rich as you folk, so it will be a case of living a pretty simple life out there for me and my family.

I will try to do a few months here and a few months there for as long as possible, as I don't think it would be sensible to give up my (rocking horse doo doo) OAP bungalow until I absolutely have to... and who knows what will happen with the immigration rules in the future, so best to keep my/our options open.

We've already got our little starter home and land out there, so hopefully we can build a pleasant life around that, and my UK pension.
    All sounds the right way, and who knows what will happen in a few years time.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar

I'm sure you will manage very well Graham, good luck with your future plan

Graham since when has being Rich brought happiness, clearly you have a lovely family, and i for one envy you that, Im aware that you like me are a victim of the unfair immigration rules which penalise people of a certain age, and prevent us from having a life in OUR own country with our loved ones, whilst people who have NO connection to the UK continue to be able to come to the UK as and when they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Graham since when has being Rich brought happiness, clearly you have a lovely family, and i for one envy you that, Im aware that you like me are a victim of the unfair immigration rules which penalise people of a certain age, and prevent us from having a life in OUR own country with our loved ones, whilst people who have NO connection to the UK continue to be able to come to the UK as and when they please.
    It penalizes all who would like to bring someone here from the Philippines and other places unless you have enough funds to fund all that is required .
    I cannot see any changes soon that is going to be helpful to the future people wanting to bring there partners here.

It penalises those of a certain age even more Steve, thats the point Im making.
    Look if im 55 i can work find a Job or Jobs to meet the requirements, Im 65 this year, I think Graham is around the same age, we CANT do anything to meet those requirements so for us as some might say Tuff, but answer my Question where is the fairness in a system that enables people with NO connection to the UK to come and go here as and when they please, and then such as Graham, and Me who have lived, and worked here all our lives being forced to move away, to find a little happiness late in our life ?.

Unfortunately not all the residents of this country are as sincere as others, some from SE Asia want to bring arranged partners here then the family follows so there are laws in place to restrict that practice, this unfortunately affects the genuine ones....

Harry I do understand where you are coming from, but i can only speak for myself here.
    This country we call home is great once you become old as they say and you have very little, you are taken care of.
    Free doctors, free hospitals,free dentist infact if you have very little living here then nearly everything is there for your taking.
    Now if you are wanting happiness, well that's not free at all here.
    Again I must stress this is me saying this for myself, if my happiness was thousands of miles away but here where i call home was sent security, well i would chose happiness and move there to be with the love of my life.
    Even at my age and what i have here i would really think hard about bringing a girlfriend or wife here ,i would work long and hard to try to make a life over there.
    But as we are all different, we will do what we think is right for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Unfortunately not all the residents of this country are as sincere as others, some from SE Asia want to bring arranged partners here then the family follows so there are laws in place to restrict that practice, this unfortunately affects the genuine ones....
    That also goes for some of the folk we fall in love with too.
    Get me that British passport then sod you

That also goes for some of the folk we fall in love with too.
    Get me that British passport then sod you
    I can recount many tales,many,of filipinas who have done just that as i always say to guys who say they love pinays,its not the ethnicity,its the individuals

I can recount many tales,many,of filipinas who have done just that as i always say to guys who say they love pinays,its not the ethnicity,its the individuals
    Indeed

I say...Blah blah blah....ONE LIFE!! Thats all..!!!
    Live it as you please...Or not...,.Wherever,whatever..
    It` slipping by real quick........
    Quicker than you think.!
    Bahala KA JAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I say...Blah blah blah....ONE LIFE!! Thats all..!!!
    Live it as you please...Or not...,.Wherever,whatever..
    It` slipping by real quick........
    Quicker than you think.!
    Bahala KA JAN!!
    Have you finished painting now Fred?

Have you finished painting now Fred?

Not even close!!
    Still up to my armpits in damned cement!! I

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Not even close!!
    Still up to my armpits in damned cement!! I
    That cement must be bloody deep, seeing the size of you.

Here is another little number for less than £50 K....

http://www.dezrez.com/estate-agent-s...&TemplateName=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information